"Books" fragrance/candle

ellajoan

Ellajoan, there was a thread talking about old book scents a while ago I think maybe it was this last spring or summer.  I'll try and find it, but do a search on the board here because there was a pretty good discussion going on about this scent and other odd ones too.

Trappeur

I've never been able to find a true old paper/book scent. 

I was looking for the thread Trappeur was referring too, but all I could find was a thread about an article on old book smell, but nothing in that thread referenced a fragrance oil or blend or even any supplier, so I didn't bother linking it. 

In fact SOS is the only supplier I've ever known to offer the scent, but as you said, have not heard any good reviews on them. 

1 hour ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

It's funny that "old books" sells.  I've seen that type of candle on Etsy.  I think old books *stink.*  LOL 

I love the smell of books that have been stored correctly. It's when they havne't been that they get that moldy, musty, dusty, nasty smell to them. Bleh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried several paper and book scents from SOS. None of them hit the mark for me.  Believe it or not, one of the key components to an old book smell (not musty) is vanilla. I read that and didn't think it was true, but I put my face in a book and it is definitely there. The specific aroma chemical is allegedly vanilla ex lignan, so I bought some in powder form. It smelled no different than any other vanillin.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 10:41 AM, Trappeur said:

Ellajoan, there was a thread talking about old book scents a while ago I think maybe it was this last spring or summer.  I'll try and find it, but do a search on the board here because there was a pretty good discussion going on about this scent and other odd ones too.

Trappeur

Here are a couple:

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/108723-old-book-smell/?tab=comments#comment-1019205

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/110133-just-ordered-these-unusual-scents/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-1035230

GoldieMN

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2017 at 10:51 AM, Crafty1_AJ said:

It's funny that "old books" sells.  I've seen that type of candle on Etsy.  I think old books *stink.*  LOL 

To my way of thinking, I'd just as soon buy a candle called "Road Kill Skunk."  :D  :P 

One of Byredo's best sellers are their Library candle :)

https://byredo.com/bibliotheque-candle-240-g?gclid=CjwKCAiAhMLSBRBJEiwAlFrsTjJR0MAQp-OEK2hoPjL6-vJxJiCzre6orcR6NpATygwbVBAWd_qrKBoCWt4QAvD_BwE

I recommend trying "money" FO by Nature's Garden, just a sample size at first since it's one of those scents where it can be pretty subjective/finicky. 

"Spank Me Leather" by wholesale supplies plus also smells (to me) like warm printer paper covered in ink, fresh from the printer, with a hint of leather, so I think it could be marketed as something like "Leatherbound Book" or whatnot. 

I really like the sort of "musty" smell of old library books, which I don't think I will ever find in a FO since the pros making them probably are not asked to make something that smells "musty and old" haha, but other FO's or EO's can be added to the "Money" FO or the "Spank Me" FO to make them a little mustier. 

• 1 year later...

Bumping this back up to ask if anyone's tried any discussed above?  I wonder if I combined MMS's Books Abound, NG's Money, Indigo's Library, and WSP's Spank Me Leather what the result would be?  :D

What got me back on this is coming across a mention somewhere of Sucreabeille's Antiquarian scent:  https://sucreabeille.com/products/antiquarian

It sounds lovely:

Scent notes: sumptuous leather, old yellowed books, pipe tobacco, soft sandalwood, white musk.

It's just $39, and that would buy a few different FOs to try.

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab as a couple (again, not FOs):  https://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/product-category/neil-gaiman/good-omens/

The Buggre Alle This Bible:

"Crumbling paper and ancient cracked leather with a touch of tobacco leaf and incense. "

The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch:

" A seventeenth-century tome, pages lined with witching herbs and lightly spattered by gunpowder residue. "

There was another "books" perfume (not an FO) I came across recently and I can't remember now what it was.  But these commercial producers are getting some kind of FOs that they're blending to create these.

• Thanks 1

Glad you bumped this thread...I was asked for an “old books” candle and have been thinking what to start with. I would never have thought of vanilla. I know you need a touch of leather - but those can be so overpowering. Wondering about a vanilla bourbon — and a touch of havana added to it...(not sure it reads “old book”. Maybe it’s just a blend I want to try 😂

9 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Has anyone tried Library from CS?  I want to, but I don't need anything else and hate to order just that.

The reviews there are saying it smells just like their Antique Sandalwood.  Do you by chance already have that?

I was asked for this scent as well.  I have heard many recommend my dear Watson from Natures Fragrance.  The description reads:

A fragrance filled with mystery and intrigue! Top notes of brightening bergamot open this handsome and enigmatic affair, as woody notes add supporting depth to the blend as a whole. Base notes of musk and rich leather complete this unique, aromatic masterpiece, creating quite the dignified and thought-provoking scent!

Will try this out sometime.