Peppermint ?

Jcandleattic

I know this is a common scent you can pretty much get anywhere, just throw a rock and where it lands you can get it, however, I'd love to hear some reviews on what people think is the "best" (I know, subjective).

Give me your best shot! (I used to use Purely Peppermint from Peak but ran out of my last bit about 2 months ago) 

• Like 1

I'll have to look into Flamings, as I don't use WSP for anything. I will mostly be using this in soaps and lotions, so I probably should have said it needs to be skin safe at at least a 3% IFRA rating for a leave-on/wash-off product. I know most peppermints are skin safe which is why I probably forgot to mention that. 

Peppermint, I use Willamette Valley varietal of essential oil in both soap and candles. It is smooth and sweet like a Cindy cane. Many essential oils sold as cheap Peppermint are corn mint. Very Sharp smelling for soap.

Peak's purely Peppermint was very close, but much harder to burn. Took a cd6 in a tea light just to keep it burning! ??

21 hours ago, WaxingPoetic said:

The best I have tried so far is without a doubt, JS Creme De Menthe. It is creamy, sweet minty heaven in a bottle. God, every time I think about it, I have to go grab the bottle & inhale. Maybe that's what's wrong with me ??

Is this a 'candy cane' type, that you can smell the vanilla in or a straight peppermint? 

I'd rather not have a candy cane type, just pure peppermint, but in an FO not EO. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I also bought Flaming's but haven't put it in wax.  OOB smells true.  I'm going to mix it so I'm not super worried if it's a bit different than Peak's.

Exactly. I'm going to mix mine as well, but don't want a creamy/vanilla hint to it, just a straight up mint scent and I'm having a hard time finding anything that isn't "candy cane" or has a creamy/vanilla mixed in with the peppermint. 

• Like 2

For soap I only use peppermint EO. I like the one from Camden-Grey and its a true peppermint and not corn mint EO. I usually mix it with eucalyptus EO for an herbal spa scent.

For candles I never found one better than Peaks. But then once I found theirs I quit looking.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Is this a 'candy cane' type, that you can smell the vanilla in or a straight peppermint? 

I'd rather not have a candy cane type, just pure peppermint, but in an FO not EO. 

It is a super creamy, sweet dessert type mint....think chocolate mousse, but mint instead of chocolate ! Or the mint part of Andes Candies. If you want a sweet, candy type peppermint, I would say definitely give it a go :)

I'm with TT and Candy on this, I use peppermint EO, BUT... It DEPENDS on what you want out of the peppermint... You can go with the Asian Peppermint  M.Asiatica which is rather dull in odor but has A LOT of menthol... M. Arvensis which is the corn mint Candy mentions (mint-shuns?) It's a rather dull and well... Frankly it's just weak, cheap, crap... I mean it'll DO if you can't get any other peppermint, but if you KNOW what peppermint feels, tastes, or smells like it ain't really gonna flush your bowl IYKWIM...  Then there's the flat out good old fashioned Mentha Piperita... THAT'S THE GOOD STUFF. I get mine from whoever's got the best price. I've had good luck with NOW! Foods brand off of Amazon... Actually, I'd really have to say that's my favorite brand for M.Piperita EO. I've got a pound of M.Arvensis from Bulk but I haven't used any yet, it smells ok for Japanese Mint... (shrugs) Mountain Rose Herbs supposedly has some good stuff too. 

I'm all ABOUT the TINGLE!!!

Edited by Jcandleattic

16 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I have a few on order that should be here in the next week. I'll let you know what I come up with and if I find any I like. 

I have a peppermint EO, but would really rather have the FO specifically for avoiding the 'tingle' factor. 

WHAT!? 

5993f3f9708b2_Shesawitch.jpg.8198c7883d0850534b74c2c982dba419.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. I don't use EO's in candles, melts, smelly jelliy's, etc., and I use all of my scents for multiple applications, so it would be silly to get an EO just for 1 product. I personally don't like the 'tingle' and I have never, not once, ever had anyone ask me in the 15+ years I've been making soap, if the mint soaps I make are "tingly", so what is the point, really? Just an added expense for something that, IMO, is not needed. Not for me, and my applications anyway. 

• Like 1