To bevel or not to bevel

Candybee

I'm speaking as a consumer now (ha!) as i haven't made soap in gosh a lot of years.  I love the look of the beveled soap.

Speaking as a former soapmaker, forget it, it's way too time consuming.  Pretty labels can make up for not beveling IMO.

I know, not much help!

I think beveling can look nice, although I don't think soap has to be beveled to look nice, but it's a pain in the butt & I hate doing it so I rarely bevel soap. Plus, it can waste so much soap. I know a lot of soapers keep the scraps to make more soaps, but that's not for me.

35 minutes ago, KrazeKelly said:

I bevel all my soaps. I just prefer the look cuz I'm a little OCD and I like how it feels in the hand. 

You TOO? Oh,wow...

I'm glad I'm not alone... 

I was wondering what to do with all the shavings, and considering my newly appointed "hobby" of mechanic it occurs to me that making up some hand cleaner might be prudent. So I'll likely be mixing the mess o'shave'n's up with some mineral spirits and making "Goop/Go-Jo/Napalm" for my use in car repairs. 

-Sponiebr

I like the look of both beveled and non-beveled. I bevel mine because I don't like the way the un-beveled edges feel on my hands the first couple of uses.

Since I only make small loaves right now, the amount of shavings isn't much. I just make balls out of the excess, and my daughter likes to collect them. She's 12 and loves playing at designing houses for her Littlest Pet Shop toys, and she uses the balls for interior decorating, lol.

I use to bevel, but don't really like confetti soaps, and after a while I was throwing pounds and pounds of shavings in the trash, only using a handful of them for other projects. Since going to 6-7oz bars, IMO they look better unbevelled. And no wasted time or product from bevelling. 

Now if I want to make a confetti soap, I'll grate up a couple bars from a soap I didn't like, or that I have curing for personal use. 

I think I must be the only person on the planet that likes the feel of the sharp edges. But that's not why I don't bevel. As I said previously, it's just too time consuming and I honestly truly don't think consumers really care one way or another. It's never deterred a sale for me anyway. 

I bevel. I find beveling my soaps therapeutic.  I do it while watching tv.   I just prefer the feel in the hand.  The sharp edges turn me off.  I just make soap balls or dump the shavings into another batch for family to use.  Sometimes I do have quite a lot of them though.