Ugh! or Why I don't like Crunchy People

8 hours ago, Incendia said:

Uh... Date night ambiance? Are you into necrophilia?

Is this a trick question? (I'll probably regret this later), but for

100,000 dollars Alex, "What is no?"

That's not a come-hither setting, it's a wake.
It IS pretty sad... I thought the white linens were a nice upgrade to the 1981 Smurf bed set... (It was looking a little threadbare...) It doesn't look inviting though huh? :( 

That big lump on the bed is not pillows, that's a body lying in repose after a life-time of burning all those candles.   ;)<_< Really? (I'm asking...) Hmm... That WOULD explain a LOT... I'll be right back, I just gotta step.... Don't go anywhere!!! (pops head around corner), I'll just be a sec... 

'K, I'm back! 

Yep. You were right... It wasn't disinterest... How'd you KNOW that??? I swear you women, must have some sort of telepathy thing going on betwixt ya like, I dunno, ANTS or something... OMG!!!!!  Aunts are women... :o  

8 hours ago, CBeardly said:

@Sponiebr Have you considered cutting back on the caffeine/sugar/meth? Just a thought. :biggrin:

Pshaw... Let's not be SILLY now... That is the triad of pure energy that inspired the radiation symbol we are so familar with today... Give it up? Please... AS IF! ('sides it's not technically meth...)   :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Sponie Don't listen to that .... Ive come to rely on your witty charm + complete and utter nonsense :02: Lol ! Out of curiosity, how much coffee do you 

drink exactly lol ! So... Moonie... Howaya? I must say it's good to hear someone reasonable... I don't really drink *that much* coffee... It's just a couple of mugs a day...  A few5(cans) of diet Mountain Dew in any 34 hour day... It's not a problem... I can quit anytime I want! 

@moonshine Along the same lines of developing sensitivities from constant exposure... (Obviously I'm interested in both developing sensitivities, and exposure... but I digress) I used to be just fine around dogs and cats having had them in the house for years, but after being away from them for even as little as a 2 week vacation I found that when I was exposed to them I developed a bad histaminic response, puffy face, itchy skin, watering eyes, cough... Yeah, I got allergic to them. Several of my friends who are in the bagpipe industry, (yes you read that correctly... I used the plural of friend, denoting multiples...) developed allergies to some of the exotic hardwoods that they were turning. It is interesting to note that these hardwoods are highly resinous species, many of which also bear latex... (Don't confuse that with latex bears... They are TOTALLY different...) ANYWAY!!! I shouldn't think it any sort of surprise that people develop sensitivities to FO's and EO's... However, to state that burning candles would be harmful to your health... I dunno 'bout that... (though, clearly a paraffin candle wouldn't be good for you...) 

Maybe Wellness mama needs a nice big warm cuppa ayahuasca to clear her thinking... (I betcha she uses pure-organic-non-GMO-all-natural-non-nuclear-proliferation-cold-pressed-VIRGIN coconut oil as the only ingredient for her secret life wellness and spiritual colonic formula, I'm just say'n...)    

Sponiebr, bad ideas, etc... OH! And interior decoration consultant!!! 

"Positive ions are generated by electrical devices, by scented candles, by walking across carpet, and even by heating/cooling systems. They are a fact of life, but they can carry everything from dust to pollen to toxic mold, so it is important to reduce them. Indoor air typically has a higher concentration of positive ions.

This is where negatively charged ions come in. They bind together and have a heavier molecular weight so they are no longer floating around the air."

Say... Mamaness O'well Since they're so big and heavy, that means ANYWHERE WE ARE we're standing in nothing but negativity!!!! WHY doesn't somebody just get out there and filter these damned positive particles out? Maybe use a butterfly net? Butterfly nets are fun. 

That ONE statement I quoted  made EVERYTHING she typed a complete waste of time. 

You gotta wonder if it actually hurts to be at her level of affliction... 

Remember: Arrogance and ignorance will never endure for Wisdom will raze them with swift and utter finality,  but stupid is Fo-ev-ah! 
image.jpg.f7c89029470e2e59f10c8b3e08277f9f.jpg

This is just my personal opinion. Im all for healthy living, eating etc but sometimes I think people go overboard with their ways of thinking as it relates to organic 

living. I personally know several people that not only do this but project their views on others + if your  not on board with them then your judged and told how

horrible + misinformed you are. Ive even had some tell me that my sons severe autism could have been "cured" with a "cocktail of vitamins " my sons brain 

ISNT insufficient of Vit D + magnesium, its simply not wired correctly. Sorry for the rant but this infuriates me to no end. I see this organic non GMO so on and

so one everywhere, its almost like cult thinking, to me anyhow. Again, Im not saying that we shouldn't make healthy choices but there are somethings that we 

just can't get away from. As Moonshine said, theres fragrance in nearly everything. I just know how much I actually trust things are are labeled organic unless

I see a USDA certified organic seal. Even then, how do we know what the standards are for organs claims. The organic market is a huge money machine right now 

and very trendy. Even in cosmetics that contain FO I see them labeled as 100% organic - am I missing something here, how can it be 100% organic if it has FO ?

Enough of my rant and thats my 2 cents worth :) 

• Like 4

Agreed. Marketing is everything, and the green industry is, indeed, a very profitable one. If you can include "pthalate-free on your label, why wouldn't you? And as we all know by now "organic" isn't always so awesome. I remember reading about people getting e-coli from a an organic mushroom farm because their organic, pesticide-free fertilizer was, well, poo. And that poo, like many poos, contained a nasty bacteria. But it was organic poo! 

I wonder if people believe that organic solvents are healthier than other solvents, and that organic chemistry is the study of living things in their natural state. I really wonder these things.  And THIS nonsense? Not even possible:

sugar.JPG

Edited by glasllyn
Typo
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

So... Bird... Yer say'n that you CAN have TOO many candles burning at one time? (I'm just trying to make sure I actually understand what yer say'n here...) Too many "might" not be good for your health?

Well, DAMN! This just ruins EVERYTHING!!! I mean, I always just disregarded the complaints "uh... I don't think I feel so good..." as just, y'know nervous excitement...  But now I read this! So It looks like I'll have to re-tool (re-illuminate?) my erm....den? with those stupid LED battery operated candles... THAT'S gonna be EXPENSIVE! We're also not going to have the benefit of the the heat from the candles anymore...

I think there is such a thing as having "too many" candles burning in an enclosed setting -- as to what "too many" might be, I'm not sure!  It all depends on the situation, like having too many chocolates ... or coffee! 

This article may interest you, but keep in mind that the paraffin used in some parts of the world may not be as refined as we know, for instance, in the U.S.

Impact of Candle Burning During All Saints’ Day Ceremonies

As for my household candle burning or making, I'm not overly concerned with it as I don't do it in excess. 

With my never-ending dusting where I live, if I should be concerned about something, it would probably be dust mites!!  :)

• Like 4

Glasilyn brings up an important issue we as candlemakers, soap, B&B, perfumers, or any craft which includes working with FOs, EOs, extracts, etc.

There is a huge difference between the person making the product and working directly with and handling and smelling the fragrances and the person who buys the product of the shelf.

As a candlemaker I found after a few short years of candlemaking I developed a cough like a smokers cough. that's when I bought my respirator and started wearing it when I am working with these fragrances. Immediately after I started wearing the respirator my cough went away.

Working with the fragrances oils means you are exposing yourself to the concentrated vapors that come off the fragrances and inhaling them directly into your lungs. That can have an immediate and huge impact on the health of your lungs. Even if you don't feel it over time it will. So get a respirator and wear it when working with FOs or EOs.

As a consumer you are not working directly with the concentrated form of the fragrance. It has been dilluted and there is a much smaller % of it in the candle your are burning in your room. So you are not experiencing anywhere near the same level of vapors and fumes you would if you made that candle. That's why as a candlemaker, or soapmaker, etc. you need to protect yourself. Wear a respirator, wash your hands after handling, even change your clothes, and definitely work in a well ventilated area. An air purifier is even better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, glasllyn said:

Agreed. Marketing is everything, and the green industry is, indeed, a very profitable one. If you can include "pthalate-free on your label, why wouldn't you? And as we all know by now "organic" isn't always so awesome. I remember reading about people getting e-coli from a an organic mushroom farm because their organic, pesticide-free fertilizer was, well, poo. And that poo, like many poos, contained a nasty bacteria. But it was organic poo! 

I wonder if people believe that organic solvents are healthier than other solvents, and that organic chemistry is the study of living things in their natural state. I really wonder these things.  And THIS nonsense? Not even possible:

sugar.JPG

Tsk, tsk... Not GLUTEN FREE.... They really could have had a winner there... I also wonder HOW they got sucrose without using carbon... 

Edited by Sponiebr
  • Like 2

Just now, Candybee said:

What do they mean carbon free? Free from carbon dioxide? Isn't carbon a footprint of living organisms like say..... the plants that grow in the soil like say..... sugar cane? Sorry I am no chemist.

It's called "Bullsh*t," Candybee. Everything is carbon. There would be nothing without it. 

• Like 2

Sorry... I was trying to be facetious. I know that we are a carbon based planet.

I guess I just don't get what they are trying to do.... make carbon look bad? make us afraid of it? ourselves? our planet? Holy cow I should be afraid of carbon now?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

With my never-ending dusting where I live, if I should be concerned about something, it would probably be dust mites!! 

I too live in a dusty area. :) I think however with health concerns, it is not figuring out which is the worst irritant we come in contact with, but rather what is the cumulative effect of all of them together. Currently it is the height of our pollen season. And mold because its been wet. And it's windy so there is also dust. And in this house, cat dander. You can't really separate them - you breath in all of them at once.

As for concentrations of FOs, I think a standard 6%, and for some, higher, is not anything to sneeze at. Especially if you read the other health-related thread linked above (second ? post of this thread), and read about the significant physical reactions some candle-makers have had, including me. Add to this, all the other irritants we take in and it may add up. And perhaps like smoking cigarettes, it may take years for negative effects to be seen.

FOs are relatively new to the scene, but are now one of the primary reasons for choosing to buy a candle. Over my lifetime of making candles, I 've melted down many used candles. It's only been in the past decade or so that scented candles have become very plentiful. Vanillas and pine and bayberry have been around, but then the butterscotches crept in...  and now... you name it. The suppliers are coming up with more and more creations to tempt us to buy and use. (and it's been fun)

This topic is very difficult to discuss in a place where many of the participants have a financial interest and sell the very things we are discussing. But the meme is out there, that burning some candles may be harmful to your health. And for many people, true or not,  it will always be there. Just like 'vaccines cause autism', which has been debunked for years, but some still believe.

That said, last night I was burning 5 candles, and for several hours. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

Sorry... I was trying to be facetious. I know that we are a carbon based planet.

I guess I just don't get what they are trying to do.... make carbon look bad? make us afraid of it? ourselves? our planet? Holy cow I should be afraid of carbon now?

I was being sarcastic! It may be hard to tell tone here, but I was making fun of the ridiculous claim. I'm quite sure you understand carbon.

1 hour ago, glasllyn said:

Wellnessmama would tell you you're going to die within five minutes of burning five candles. 

Guess I'm living on borrowed time...  So.... Where's that chocolate cake?

Or did Wellnessmama condemn that too?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Incendia said:

Guess I'm living on borrowed time...  So.... Where's that chocolate cake?

Or did Wellnessmama condemn that too?

Well is it vegan cake made only with free-trade chocolate, organic sprouted spelt flour, dried black beans that were soaked overnight in rain water (no toxic cans, please!), hand-pressed almond oil and carbon-free soy milk, then air-dried so as not to cook out any nutrients or incorporate toxins from bakeware? If so, it might be ok. Oh, but the sugar. Nevermind.

• Like 1

Crunchy people... nah... I prefer them crispy. Crunchy ones tend to hurt my teeth.

these articles used to really bother me. And they bothered me only because my next door neibors were sooooooo into all natural organic all of a sudden. Like don't anyone dare snarf a Twinkie when in a hypo moment, or dare take anything Unnatural for any sort of pain. I got to the eye roll part before their mouths opened, lol. I live in 2017 where medications are readily available to help me not feel bad. 

Other well-meaning aquaintences hijacked my Facebook feed and Pushed me over the edge when my poor old Wonderlab dog was in intense pain. they said skip the life saving meds the vet prescribed and just give her a little turmeric. Yeah, no. They forgot about all of their animals that died painful deaths much too young in their care by their eschewing modern meds. Mine are still living very healthy, happy, pain-modified borrowed-time lives TYVM. Now get off my lawn. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, glasllyn said:

Well is it vegan cake made only with free-trade chocolate, organic sprouted spelt flour, dried black beans that were soaked overnight in rain water (no toxic cans, please!), hand-pressed almond oil and carbon-free soy milk, then air-dried so as not to cook out any nutrients or incorporate toxins from bakeware? If so, it might be ok. Oh, but the sugar. Nevermind.

LMAO !!!! 

38 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Crunchy people... nah... I prefer them crispy. Crunchy ones tend to hurt my teeth.

these articles used to really bother me. And they bothered me only because my next door neibors were sooooooo into all natural organic all of a sudden. Like don't anyone dare snarf a Twinkie when in a hypo moment, or dare take anything Unnatural for any sort of pain. I got to the eye roll part before their mouths opened, lol. I live in 2017 where medications are readily available to help me not feel bad. 

Other well-meaning aquaintences hijacked my Facebook feed and Pushed me over the edge when my poor old Wonderlab dog was in intense pain. they said skip the life saving meds the vet prescribed and just give her a little turmeric. Yeah, no. They forgot about all of their animals that died painful deaths much too young in their care by their eschewing modern meds. Mine are still living very healthy, happy, pain-modified borrowed-time lives TYVM. Now get off my lawn. 

Lol You are so funny ! Tumeric lol ! 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

???

Your neighbors would crap their pants if they lived by me and saw I did 2...yes 2 rounds of chemo beads in my horses eyelid to save his life 

I recently learned everything possible from someone about coconut oil organic unrefined - it has to be organic unrefined because google said so 

• Like 2