Ugh! or Why I don't like Crunchy People

I spent several years living on a coconut plantation, and they never did any pesticiding or fertilizing of the trees. I think the virgin is better for you than the refined, but as far as "organic" don't know that you could buy anything but (I could be wrong). But of course to market it to certain people, org. certification was necessary, but I don't think they had to do anything different for it.

• Like 1

In case anyone's still following this thread I just came across this review of a FO. This is a perfect example of someone who just had no idea what she was working with. It was a review for a chocolate fragrance oil:

"I am afraid.

Although this fragrance oil smells wonderful, I am too afraid to continue to use it because I read through the MSDS. If a product says that it should not be inhaled, I honestly feel that it should not be inhaled because synthetic molecules are designed to stick to other properties and this could cause unseen harm. I recommend that anyone who desires to order fragrance oils should do their homework upfront. I had no clue about these terrible warnings and I was alarmed, but I trusted Brambleberry's reassurances. I spent around $70 my first time, which I completely regret. I no longer wish to work with fragrance oils and now I have to either resell them or take them to a special dump because they cannot be disposed down the toilet or in the trash because they are so caustic. If they are so caustic when dumped into a large body of water or mix into the ground, then how can they be safe mixed with salts or a carrier oil? I may still order from Brambleberry because they have other products, but reading all the Material Safety Data Sheets has literally caused me to want to throw out every product that has a fragrance in it in my home"

First of all, if any of you can find a chocolate fragrance oil made of nothing but real chocolate, alert me posthaste! I'll buy all of it. And probably bathe in it. Secondly, she is now "afraid" of everything and horrified that the MSDS told her the FO shouldn't be inhaled. This is because she doesn't understand that it's no different than everything else we make that smells good and nearly all of them will carry the same warning in the MSDS. She's right, we should do our homework, about everything, but if THIS scares her, she's going to develop Generalized Anxiety Disorder when she starts researching the chemicals in the products she uses every day. Before I even open the bottle on my aroma chemicals, I  review the MSDS  because I need to know how much of a thing I can safely use and, how much I need to dilute before I can even smell the thing. I just got a sample of Mysore  that I needed to dilute to 3% just to smell it. I'm so glad I did because at 3% I could smell it perfectly and without coughing or, you know, slowly killing myself. I can't imagine what it's like at full-strength. I think the take-home message is - Don't fear the unknown, just understand your materials. (P.S. Cocaine is a naturally-derived product, but I don't feel comfy inhaling that. (Let's ask Wellnessmama if it's OK. The ORGANIC kind, of course.)

• Like 5

I love the fact that even though she is terrified by what she purchased, she said she might resell them...  *shudder*

She also should never read the warning labels on any sort of medication she is considering taking.  *shudder*

Not just cocaine and other toxic natural substances, but as a doc friend says, the plague was natural, as is botulism and viruses. For that matter, so are lions and tigers and bears. (Is nature trying to kill us?) *shudder*

Accurate information is a good thing, IMO the more the better...  but not everyone has good reading comprehension.  I also like to know the opinions of people I trust. Life can be dangerous, but weigh your risks, and make your best possible decision. Or live in a seamless bubble and not experience much of the richness life has to offer.

Edited by Incendia
  • Like 4

I've been working with fragrance oils for over twenty years and I've never once found any need to "inhale" any of it --- sniff, yes; inhale, as in taking a deep breath of it, no. 

"I had no clue about these terrible warnings and I was alarmed ..."   Please!  Any perfume or fragrance should be used with care, just as so many other things ... the Material Safety Data Sheet is intended to cover any possible dangers that a product can pose.  In terms of concentrated fragrance oils, of course they are not intended for inhaling!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

I've been working with fragrance oils for over twenty years and I've never once found any need to "inhale" any of it --- sniff, yes; inhale, as in taking a deep breath of it, no. 

"I had no clue about these terrible warnings and I was alarmed ..."   Please!  Any perfume or fragrance should be used with care, just as so many other things ... the Material Safety Data Sheet is intended to cover any possible dangers that a product can pose.  In terms of concentrated fragrance oils, of course they are not intended for inhaling!  

4 hours ago, Incendia said:

I love the fact that even though she is terrified by what she purchased, she said she might resell them...  *shudder*

She also should never read the warning labels on any sort of medication she is considering taking.  *shudder*

Not just cocaine and other toxic natural substances, but as a doc friend says, the plague was natural, as is botulism and viruses. For that matter, so are lions and tigers and bears. (Is nature trying to kill us?) *shudder*

Accurate information is a good thing, IMO the more the better...  but not everyone has good reading comprehension.  I also like to know the opinions of people I trust. Life can be dangerous, but weigh your risks, and make your best possible decision. Or live in a seamless bubble and not experience much of the richness life has to offer.

Yesssssss. All of this.