Looking for Opinions on my Very First Candle! with pictures

Looking for Opinions on my Very First Candle;

I'm using the 16oz Calypso Jar from Glassnow.com out of Texas.

Wax is Golden Brands 464

Fragrance is:

50% Candle Science Cinnamon Stick FO

50% Candle Science Cake FO

at the Golden Brands 464 recommend rate of 2-ounces Per./Pound

Jar is 3 and 1/4 inches in Diameter; Wick is an Eco-14 as suggested by the candle science wick guide. :read:

I'm using Aqua Colored Jars; ONLY because the Clear ones of the same thing we're sold out.

But; Since I plan to use the exact same jar in clear; I don't suppose it will affect my testing too much.

Go Easy on me; I am just Starting...

I shall Continue to read these forums while; I wait for the 4 to 5 days of curing time before my test burn *drunkenposting*

I Plan to buy the E Z Wick Setter from Candle Science Soon for better ease of centering my wicks. :)

candle1.JPG

candle2.JPG

candle3.JPG

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts
  • Like 2

Love the aqua jar, how much are they are they ? I would let them cure for about a week. Also, I would make another candle with no FO at let it sit for 

2-3 days before lighting it. Actually, if your able make 2-3 with no FO in different wick sizes, that way you'll have some sort of a baseline with wicks.

From what I remember reading on here, heavy, spicier FO's might need to be wicked up and your using cinnamon + cake combined. The tops of your 

candles look really good :) Happy New Year to you ! 

Looks really good - beautiful jar ?

the only thing I see from my experience with soy is the FO load may be to high, you could have burn issues with that 

I can't believe they recommend 2 ounces per pound but I could be wrong so just keep it in your mind if you have troubles burning or see any seepage after they sit 

I use 1.5 ounces and some heavier ones I go down to 1.25- 1 has never worked for me with soy 

but ot seriously looks great - congrats! ? 

• Like 1

Looks good!  I'm trying to use the same jars and I'm new to the process too!  I have poured them twice using IGI 6006 and both times have had a cavity/hole by the wick - so when I lit them there was a big tunnel in the middle within 3 minutes.  It will be interesting to see if you have any problems with 464.  I just love the cork top that goes with these jars!  

nicely done =)

2 oz PP for that wax seems really high, especially with a heavy, hard-to-burn scent combo like that.

likewise the wick recommendations I see on candlescience have always been about 2 sizes too big, especially with ECO series. with a super heavy fragrance and notoriously hard to burn scent like spices that might be OK in this candle. Just expect a different result with different fragrance and different fragrance load.

the tall jar will be interesting to watch as it gets toward the last half. please do post pictures of the burn as you test it.

• Like 2

I agree with others on the fragrance load. I use GB 444 and max I have used 1.5oz per pound. You may find you dont need to use that much FO and save yourself some money by reducing it. 

Also along with what talltayl said I use the eco wicks in my GB soy and for most of my fragrances CSs suggestion over wick my candles and they burn too hot. 

Takes some trial and error to get it all down, but your pour looks nice. 

I love that the jars you got come with cork tops, I was looking at them for a while but don't have a need to buy jars right now. 

Edited by Siren12
  • Like 2

Also, from what I remember working with 464, you should probably wait a minimum of 2 weeks before you test burn. 4-5 days just isnt enough time for a proper cure. And as others have said, 2 oz PP is a bit too high i think for 464. Even though they say its the max load, I made some at that fragrance load and the FO leeched out and never truly incorporated into the wax. It was just too much

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Siren12 said:

I agree with others on the fragrance load. I use GB 444 and max I have used 1.5oz per pound. You may find you dont need to use that much FO and save yourself some money by reducing it. 

Also along with what talltayl said I use the eco wicks in my GB soy and for most of my fragrances CSs suggestion over wick my candles and they burn too hot. 

Takes some trial and error to get it all down, but your pour looks nice. 

I love that the jars you got come with cork tops, I was looking at them for a while but don't have a need to buy jars right now. 

Do you know if 444 is closer to 464 or 415 ? Ive been testing 464 with CD wicks and not sure how I like those wicks. I also tried them in the sample of 415 

wax that I had. If I remember correctly use you CS 8 oz square mason 's, which ECO wicks typically work for you. I have some ECO's at home and thought 

I might give them a try seeing that your the second person on here that uses ECO's with soy. DO they mushroom or soot a lot ? Any advise would be greatly

appreciated. Sorry for going off topic from the post :( 

That jar is stunning!  I have looked at their website many times and they sure have some beauties.  I will order one day from them I know that.

I too use 464 and agree 2oz is waaayyyy too much fragrance oil, but go ahead and test since you have made it.  Also too my candles sit for 2 weeks for a thorough cure.  If you start having problems with scent throw or wick not burning correctly I would make another candle at 6% and test all again.  You have some good oils in use from Candle Science as they make beautiful quailtiy oils.  Even though I love Candle Science I tried Cake from them and didn't care for it at all.  It to me had a burnt smell to it.

Yes, please do post pictures of your candle as it burns so we can all see and critique for ya.

For that size jar I myself use 1 cd14.

Good luck and great picture and great job!

Trappeur