Went to a craft fair this weekend and...

There was a woman there selling wickless candles. ? Basically just a regular candle, without a wick. She was instructing potential customers to put them directly on top of a burning woodstove, or similar hot surface as a form of wax melter. 

Two questions:

1. Is this wrong to tell buyers to place glass jars on a very hot metal wood burning stove like that? 

2. Do people buy wickless candles? Do you sell them? Until then, i had never heard nor seen of one. 

Well, if that isn't the most stupid thing I've heard of, then I don't know what.....What a complete idiot...that's an accident waiting to SURELY happen of a glass cracking without a doubt.  I've never made wickless candles and don't know the answer to your question.  But I know others do it.

Trappeur 

When I don't want a flame going, I do put my candle on a warming plate specifically made for candles. I've also seen people use coffee mug warmers for this purpose - both of which control the heat level of the warming pad (they only get so hot).  But to have a person place a glass jar onto a surface which has the potential to both crack the jar and catch the wax on fire is irresponsible and scary.  This person obviously has never had a jar explode on her.  Hmmmm

• Like 2

Wickless candles have been around for a while. They just never really got very popular. If you ask the average customer they probably have never heard of one. But I know customers that put candle jars on candle warmers or tart warmer plates and just use them as wickless.

Now putting one on a hot stove sounds reckless but as I don't have a woodburning stove I have no idea how hot they get. I'm sure this lady does it all the time and that's why she thinks its okay to do.

24 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Wickless candles have been around for a while. They just never really got very popular. If you ask the average customer they probably have never heard of one. But I know customers that put candle jars on candle warmers or tart warmer plates and just use them as wickless.

Now putting one on a hot stove sounds reckless but as I don't have a woodburning stove I have no idea how hot they get. I'm sure this lady does it all the time and that's why she thinks its okay to do.

I burn most of my regular wicked candles using a hot plate specifically designed to do so. 

10 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Gosh, wood burning stoves get pretty hot!

the wickless sellers around here use flat tins. They get a pretty penny for them too. 

TT, what type of lat tins are you speaking of? Not the typical round tins you can buy at say Candle Science? Or something more like a lip balm tin..those wouldnt seem like they hold much wax O.o

10 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

TT, what type of lat tins are you speaking of? Not the typical round tins you can buy at say Candle Science? Or something more like a lip balm tin..those wouldnt seem like they hold much wax O.o

More like these: http://www.specialtybottle.com/metal-tin-containers/deep-flat-slipcover

Or these : http://www.papermart.com/shallow-round-tin-cans/id=14272#14272

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

I think the main reason they were never popular is because you usually don't get a hot throw until all the wax is melted, since it melts from the bottom up. 

But putting it directly on a stove, well, that's just downright silly to me. 

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

HOT. Until the 1990's my parents heated via woodstove. Woodstoves generally are cast iron. I've seen the weld points on one turn bright red, regularly.

17 hours ago, Candybee said:

She must wear double sweaters is all I have to say if her wood stove isn't cranked up enough to heat the house! lol

Trappeur

13 hours ago, MLG said:

During a power outage due to an ice storm, we used our wood stove to cook ham and beans and cornbread (yes cornbread) in a cast iron skillet.  They get HOT! 

I'll bet that was one of the best dinners you made on the wood stove.....One time Missy I tried to make chocolate chip cookies in the wood stove, but it didn't work out....lol

Trappeur

15 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

HOT. Until the 1990's my parents heated via woodstove. Woodstoves generally are cast iron. I've seen the weld points on one turn bright red, regularly.

Well, that is my heat source in my cabin and those stoves do get HOT!  If you can boil water on the top, that is pretty hot....I wrap potatos in foil and throw them right into the wood stove and man is that the most delicious tasting potato you can't imagine.....

Trappeur

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Well, that is my heat source in my cabin and those stoves do get HOT!  If you can boil water on the top, that is pretty hot....I wrap potatos in foil and throw them right into the wood stove and man is that the most delicious tasting potato you can't imagine.....

Trappeur

I miss woodstove heat. Like badly. Everyday. Believe me I appreciate the furnace and the steam heat in this house. And I HATE beyond measure forced air heat. And I looooooove just going over and turning on the heat. But I miss the smell and the sound a fire makes. And not having to participate in the C02 addition in the way that other sources of heat force us into...

6 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

I miss woodstove heat. Like badly. Everyday. Believe me I appreciate the furnace and the steam heat in this house. And I HATE beyond measure forced air heat. And I looooooove just going over and turning on the heat. But I miss the smell and the sound a fire makes. And not having to participate in the C02 addition in the way that other sources of heat force us into...

Me toooooo. My house in N. IL was all electric baseboard heat :-/ the pellet stove we installed a few years back in the basement is LOUD, so none upstairs TYVM.

looking to install a wood stove upstairs in a mock fireplace nook. I really miss the radiating heat of the fire.

19 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

I don't have a wood stove but I've always wrapped my potatoes in foil. I first rub them with some oil at hand - either olive oil or canola 

and sprinkle generously with kosher salt. The oil makes the skin crispy & the salt melts into the oil.

baked potatoes for dinner it is ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I don't have a wood stove but I've always wrapped my potatoes in foil. I first rub them with some oil at hand - either olive oil or canola 

and sprinkle generously with kosher salt. The oil makes the skin crispy & the salt melts into the oil.

baked potatoes for dinner it is ?

Oh I know what I'm making for dinnnnnnnerrrrrrr!

• Like 1

Oh my!  Well I used to make them and they sold but that was before I got into melts, many moons ago.  I will say that they are not as messy as melts but no they don't sell for me anymore.  My other candlemaker in our store still makes them and I've not sold 1 in over 3 years.  Levine still sells the warmers made for them but you can also use those coffee cup warmers or the ones Michael's carries as candle warmers.

29 minutes ago, iansmommaya said:

Oh I know what I'm making for dinnnnnnnerrrrrrr!

Oh they are so - so good ! Don't be shy when putting oil on them, thats what makes the skin crispy. I don't mean bathe them but you get the gist.Slice them open while

they're still hot and add some butter + if you like you can add some sharp cheddar lol ! During the Spring + summeri have herbs growing and add fresh chives and

lemon thyme - great. now Im hungry lol ! 

• Like 1