Presto Pot Wax Melter

I like your mother in law already lol ! So you guys buy these used or new ? I have the same question Goldie has - you melt the wax directly in the roaster 

you get it out how ??? with a ladle ? Also TallTayl how many times can you safely reheat the wax if your melting a lot at one time for the sake of ease ? 

Edited by Moonstar

1 minute ago, Moonstar said:

I like your mother in law already lol ! So you guys buy these used or new ? I have the same question Goldie has - you melt the wax directly in the roaster 

you get it out how ??? with a ladle ? Also TallTayl how many times can you safely reheat the wax if your melting a lot at one time for the sake of ease ? 

I got mine new. It was very inexpensive.

i bought it with hopes of it working for beeswax, but it didn't work out. It sat for a long while until I used it a couple of times to keep pour pots in a water bath. I did not like that either... In all honesty I don't hardly use it at all now. I prefer the presto pots which are much more responsive and convenient. For keeping pour pots warm the griddle is much easier and more responsive.

who knows, I may try actually cooking in it one day. Or at least keeping buffet food warm... my mother in law would be so proud.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

When I use my roaster, which, like TT is very rare, I ladle out my wax into my warmed pour pot. Usually if I am using mine I only reheat the wax a couple times because when I use my roaster its because I'm melting 20lbs at a time, for a big project. 

I actually use mine more to melt huge amounts of M&P when I need a LOT of embeds... 

• Like 1

I loved the Presto with the spigots, still have 2 but one started to leak around the hole.  Had to have my husband repair it.  The second one I bought from a place that said they used 3 types of sealant and it has worked for years with no leaks.  Then I upgraded to the turkey fryer and I'll never go back to prestos.  Also wanted to mention that I used a ladle for the first year and it was too messy for me, loved the spigot.  Never had a problem with clogs but I use soy or palm wax.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Candybee said:

I have a professional wax melter and it has a copper spigot on it. I've had it for over 10 years and its never clogged on me ever and I've used paraffin, soy, parasoy, and palm waxes. Don't know about beeswax as I don't use it for candles. Anyway I think if you find a spigot and you have a choice between one type and a copper one I would go with the copper spigot.

Theres a lady on youtube that makes soap + has all of these great videos, I don't remember the name of her business or youtube channel but she's 

in Quebec on the Madlen Islands ??? Anyways, she has a really great home studio set up with professional melting pots like you have - but hers are for

her melt + pour along with several super long custom made soap molds - its really impressive. She does demos on CP as well as other B+ B items.

Candy sounds like you've got quite a set up :) 

Think I have said this before but I keep old panty hose and cut the leg off and cut a piece and tie it around the spigot of my presto pots and turkey roaster and the wax comes out clean.  You can tell when you need to change it  out. 

• Like 3

On 10/19/2016 at 3:05 PM, Candybee said:

I have a professional wax melter and it has a copper spigot on it. I've had it for over 10 years and its never clogged on me ever and I've used paraffin, soy, parasoy, and palm waxes. Don't know about beeswax as I don't use it for candles. Anyway I think if you find a spigot and you have a choice between one type and a copper one I would go with the copper spigot.

Are you talking aboug these? 

http://www.prestopotwaxmelter.com

I would need a row of Presto pots!  I do have one of the Stainless versions (now discontinued) which holds 8 pounds.

I have 2 turkey fryers which each have a 40 pound capacity.

I am in the non-spigot crowd even though the turkey fryers have spigots. I use a silicone ladle. Been using it for years and I am just comfortable with it in my method/process.

I am cracking up, though because look what I have on the top shelf of my hall pantry!!

My mom got them for all of us one year, maybe Black Friday, super cheap. I tried cooking a turkey in it one year and liked my turkey bag in the oven better. The poor roaster retreated to the top shelf years ago and has not seen the light of day until I took this pic today! 

I should get it down sometime and try it out for wax.

14708220_10209534509472415_3473152525832475646_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/20/2016 at 11:16 AM, Jcandleattic said:

I must be the odd one out. Seems I'm the only one that has hated the spigots. LOL I also don't use a ladle with my prestos. 

Oh well, I'm always different. LOL 

How do you get the wax out then 

• Like 1

Moonstar....I have a presto that I've been considering posting on the classifieds.  I installed the spigot, or rather, my husband did...lol....but I no longer

use it.  It is exactly like the one in the link....except mine does not have the interior basket.  I will try to get some picks of it.  I would let it go for 25 plus shipping.

There is nothing wrong with it....I just don't make candles in large amounts anymore so it's sitting in my basement unused.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 6:21 AM, TallTayl said:

I generally only use my black prestos to melt the wax. I usually color and scent in the pour pot. The heat gun takes the chill off the pour pot. If I have several colors going I put the pour pots on an electric griddle to keep them warm. The griddle also makes it simple to pre-warm the fragrance in the pour pot when it is cold in my shop. Pour pots are all metal.

i say generally because I also use the big presto pots to dip colored beeswax mini tapers. I do color the beeswax for those right in the presto pot and keep a second pot melting to add to the dip pot as needed. 

Presto used to make a stainless steel cooking pot. I got the last one and wish they were still available. 

This is exactly how I do it. It works great and I don't have a spigot. I've always been confused about how people get them to work. Like, is it high up on the presto pot so that you can still fit the pour pot under it? The ones I've seen have the spigot low, so is the pot then sitting up on a higher counter? LOL, so confusing! 

I will chime in on this one .I use a presto with the spigot & my husband built me a shelf to raise it up. It does have to be sitting high so the pour pot fits underneath. I have read post on here about the roasters & some ladle out & others pick it up & pour. I have spinal stenosis in my neck & spine ,so there is no way I can do the roaster. The presto with spigot is the only way for me, due to my physical disability. I get severe neck pain just from pouring a pound of wax. I take a lot of breaks & carry forward best as I can :)

Love the presto spigot

• Like 1

So one question I have using the presto pot.  Do you add the vybar into the pouring pot or into the presto pot?  If the pouring pot, how do you get it to melt and blend well with the soy wax?

Seeing so many say that the magic wax melter people are good, i'm strongly considering ordering from them.

On 10/21/2016 at 9:06 PM, debratant said:

Moonstar....I have a presto that I've been considering posting on the classifieds.  I installed the spigot, or rather, my husband did...lol....but I no longer

use it.  It is exactly like the one in the link....except mine does not have the interior basket.  I will try to get some picks of it.  I would let it go for 25 plus shipping.

There is nothing wrong with it....I just don't make candles in large amounts anymore so it's sitting in my basement unused.

PM sent

I just wanted to leave some feedback on a fellow member, debratant. Not only was this the easiest member-member transaction Ive ever had, but her replies to any questions I had were immediate and thorough. When asked for a few more pictures to ease my mind they came through to me almost within an hour. All and all very pleasant experience and I thank you very much debra :)   Cheers

• Like 3

On 11/14/2016 at 6:33 PM, Clear Black said:

I just wanted to leave some feedback on a fellow member, debratant. Not only was this the easiest member-member transaction Ive ever had, but her replies to any questions I had were immediate and thorough. When asked for a few more pictures to ease my mind they came through to me almost within an hour. All and all very pleasant experience and I thank you very much debra :)   Cheers

Thanks, same to you!  Very pleasant transaction and I hope you like it! :):):)