This is a fun one: Popular scents you don't like!

QTsmum

What are some of the 'Must Have/Must Try' scents that you have made and just don't understand the hype?

For me:

Birds of Paradise & Island Christmas. They are both really similar to my nose and though I don't hate either one, I wouldn't buy it. My customers LOVE, LOVE them! I think everyone who sniffed island Christmas 'ooooh'ed and ahhh'ed' over it. I'm like "Mmmm, yeah.....she's a beaut!" :laugh2:

Breakfast at Tiffany's. (Peaks, I believe) So highly rated...I HATE it. HATE HATE! It actually makes me ill. It's the only scent I've ever made that I have had such strong non-love feelings for! :undecided

Okay, you go!

I write this knowing that what I do not like, most people LOVE (and have sold tons to customers for years) so feel free to consider me the oddball.

Floral

Patchouli

Zucchini Bread

Pink Sugar

Sandalwood

Campfire Smoke

Nutty scents ("Crunch" types/Pecan Pie/Praline, etc.)

Buttery/Brulee scents (most smell like spoiled or condensed milk to me)

Spiced Orange

Earthy scents (dirt, grass, leaves, etc.)

I only make apple, pumpkin, bakery, spice, fruit, vanilla and clean scents.

Love: Jaffa ( Chocolate Fudge + Orange Vanilla ). I have only starting mixing these fragrances but it's been a big hit so far as no supplier sells this scent.

Also love Pink Sugar - it's very light but what an amazing scent.

Hate: Nag Champa ( OMG - hate this one with a passion ). I had a 15ml bottle of it and I can still smell it on the house and that was 6 months ago. Way too strong for me.

Buttercream Frosting....smells like sour milk to me, BUT people love it....

And here I am TRYING to find a sour milk buttercream frosting fragrance oil. Most are too sweet, which is why I don't like them. Which did you use?

As far as popular scents I loath...any "Cotton" type. Gag!

Edited by rctfavr3

Love Spell - hate it - reminds me of acidic throw up (ugh, sorry).

Twilight Woods - it's boring and "meh". just smells like a light applish scent.

More specifically, I don't know what the hooplah over MW's Sugar Cookie Royale is about. (boring to me - basic)

And BCN Creme Brulee - rubber bands/plastic/weird.

Edited by PeggyK

I absolutely can not stand patchouli. It smells like a**, sorry.... I also can not stand anything pink sugar, and Cracklin Birch makes my stomach turn as well.

Now the odd one for me is that I do not like Perfect Pumpkin (WYW). I havent met any pumpkins that I didnt like until that one. I thought I got a bad bottle but the sample and the 8oz bottle both smell like cough medicine to me, ick. Surprisingly, I have discovered that I dont like the cheesecake blends either.

I absolutely can not stand patchouli. It smells like a**, sorry.... I also can not stand anything pink sugar, and Cracklin Birch makes my stomach turn as well.

Now the odd one for me is that I do not like Perfect Pumpkin (WYW). I havent met any pumpkins that I didnt like until that one. I thought I got a bad bottle but the sample and the 8oz bottle both smell like cough medicine to me, ick. Surprisingly, I have discovered that I dont like the cheesecake blends either.

Ooooooh, Cracklin' birch! Poor thing. LOL!

It's funny because Perfect Pumpkin was one of the first pumpkins I've liked in a long time!! Did you actually put it in wax? I despise cheesecake scents. OK, Pumpkin cheesecake...and the brulees. There's this one note, I don't know what it is...but it's in the cheesecake/souffle scents and yeah, I can't even melt them. Pumpkin crunch cake was another one that I am bummed about!

I have patchouli oils but haven't put any in wax yet. I just don't like any OOTB, but I guess I should try!

I think I have similar nose to Karen up there!! Though I do enjoy zucchini bread! ;)

Brown Sugar and Fig. I just don't get it.

I shocked even myself that I liked this one!

Now the odd one for me is that I do not like Perfect Pumpkin (WYW). I havent met any pumpkins that I didnt like until that one. I thought I got a bad bottle but the sample and the 8oz bottle both smell like cough medicine to me, ick.

I am with you on this one. Except that it smelled rancid like spoiled milk to me rather than cough syrup.

It's funny because Perfect Pumpkin was one of the first pumpkins I've liked in a long time!! Did you actually put it in wax?

I did put it in wax because I figured that my nose must be off since so many peeps like it but nope... it smelled just like bad cough medicine in wax too.

I really wanted to like pumpkin souffle (CS) but that one doesnt sit well with me either. There is something in it that just goes eewwhh. I also like zucchini bread but otherwise have pretty similar taste as Karen as well.

Love: Jaffa ( Chocolate Fudge + Orange Vanilla ). I have only starting mixing these fragrances but it's been a big hit so far as no supplier sells this scent.

Have you tried the Chocolate Orange Truffle from Backwoods? I am not sure what Jaffa smells like, but Chocolate Orange Truffle smells exactly like those chocolate/orange balls shaped and sliced like an orange that are sold around the holidays. I have never had the urge to drink right out of the bottle but with that one I wanted to. My husband wanted to as well. You may need to add some vanilla to get the blend you are after but it is super strong and so delicious.

I cannot and will not pour love spell ever again- cat pee

I actually dry heaved and threw the jars out - couldn't even chunk the wax out of hansel and Gretals house- and I have to find a gingerbread type soon I can tolerate as I am getting requests already- I just cannot do it!

Blueberry- I loved blueberry scents until a bottle went rancid and leaked all over- when I pour it now all I can smell is rot!

Grapefruit and mango- I am sooooo sick of this one I get a stomach ache everytime and it's probably my top 5 best sellers- I love a good citrus but this one I have come to really hate

Cannot do any sweet baking scents- cinnamon buns, banana nut bread( not a big fan) and sugar cookie is as far as I go in that department- anything eeeewy goey Carmel butterscotch brittle cakey brownie like baking stuff I won't carry - which is weird I know because I love pink sugar!

In my michigan line I have a mackinac fudge "coming soon" and I can't bring myself to test any!

so funny to read these! I LOVE Pink Sugar, Love Spell, and Brown sugar & fig and anything orange. All favorites of mine.

I don't care for the clean/fresh scents. They don't always smell bad but they give me headaches. I also don't like the herbally/earthy type scents.

And here I am TRYING to find a sour milk buttercream frosting fragrance oil. Most are too sweet, which is why I don't like them. Which did you use?

As far as popular scents I loath...any "Cotton" type. Gag!

I have used several, but always stuck with either Peak, BC and C&S. More so BC. They ALL smelled like that to me, I always thought it was just my nose!!