Non-Greasy Lotion Bar Recipe

Tammie

• 1 month later...

hi everyone,

i've read everything in this thread. no one mentions using any of the many variations on faces, only hands. maybe grandma ariel, do you use yours on your face, since you mentioned using it after motorcycle rides?? i know for a face i shouldn't use cocoa butter since it clogs pores. i'm not into lotions at all, just candles and now M&P soap.

i want to try something with emu oil for my girlfriend who has rosacea. i know emu oil is in a lot of lotions that are recommended for rosacea.

any help appreciated, including what else i should possibly avoid if i can make this for facial use.

TIA!!

eileen

Hi, I wouldn't use this for facial care. The beeswax would not be good for pores. Lotion bars are best for super dry rough areas like elbows, feet, knees, hands etc.

Check out some of the lotion recipes here and maybe search for non-comedic (sp?) ingredients. Google for a light facial cream recipe and also for rosacea care to get an idea for ingredients.

I don't make facial creams so, just body creams so I can't give educated advice. Good luck and let us know what you come up with!

oooh goodie!

I'm so excited about this recipe!

My Mom and I saw a lotion bar at a farmer's market once and thought it was neat but it was really expensive. That's the only time I've ever seen/heard about them.

I just started making CP soap, so these are exciting, I can make and use them the same day! waoo!

I have a question.

I think I saw someone mention just pouring the oils in the tins and not doing a mold first. How does a person get them out of the tins then? Is there any shrinkage at all?

I used to do lotion bars and then quit. Now I want to do them again this year for my farmers markets and have them correspond with some of my soaps...like chocolate/orange, lavender/lemongrass...my best selling soaps so that the customers can buy a lotion bar to go with the soap.

marketing marketing marketing.......

I've never used it on my face but have but have behind my ears :laugh2: :laugh2:

This recipe is still my favorite, I alter the oils to see how they feel, but basically it stays the same.

Depnding on the weather, ex; summer anything will melt faster so you need to adjust your BW a bit. Kokum is a hard butter and for me that's what makes the bars awesome.

I've never used it on my face but have but have behind my ears :laugh2: :laugh2:

This recipe is still my favorite, I alter the oils to see how they feel, but basically it stays the same.

Depnding on the weather, ex; summer anything will melt faster so you need to adjust your BW a bit. Kokum is a hard butter and for me that's what makes the bars awesome.

Where can I buy Kokum butter? How much do you adjust BW for summer? And why would you want to put it in a tin over a twist up tube? I just bought some twist up tubes to try this lotion bar in.

you can often buy kokum at Oils By Nature, but they are out right now.

I'm not HS, but I'd say adjusting will be something you will have to play with - she's in Hawaii...

You can put it in either container you want - tho you may wish to adjust the consistency to fit what you think it should be in different containers. I choose tins cause they are more likely to be re-used and I want to minimize my use of plastic. And I like holding the bars in my palm. You might like something different for entirely different reasons.

Tweaking a recipe is part of making it your own...

I live in South Florida so it is pretty hot here also, I was just curious how much HS increased her BW cause we both live in hotter climates.

When you use tins for a molds are you selling them in the tin also? Do they then just pop them out to use or are they putting their finger inside to get it out? Sorry but I'm a visual person and for some reason I see a tin as being hard to use for a lotion bar unless you just use it as a mold & then pop it out to apply.

JMO but in hot, humid, sticky weather, I wouldn't want to be holding these at all. Just body heat melts them. I personally use the twist up plastic oval containers and that way I don't have a mess on my hands, literally, by handling them in summer.

I live in South Florida so it is pretty hot here also, I was just curious how much HS increased her BW cause we both live in hotter climates.

When you use tins for a molds are you selling them in the tin also? Do they then just pop them out to use or are they putting their finger inside to get it out? Sorry but I'm a visual person and for some reason I see a tin as being hard to use for a lotion bar unless you just use it as a mold & then pop it out to apply.

I don't use tins for the mold - I use them for the container. The tins I bought have a lip rolled IN so I cannot use them for molds - I use a separate mold that is a bit smaller than the tin, pop them out of the mold and into the tin.

I prefer a bar because I like to spread it and massage it in. With a stick I don't have the same effect. But I make it in a stick form as well (slightly different formula) for those who prefer it that way.

I don't use tins for the mold - I use them for the container. The tins I bought have a lip rolled IN so I cannot use them for molds - I use a separate mold that is a bit smaller than the tin, pop them out of the mold and into the tin.

I prefer a bar because I like to spread it and massage it in. With a stick I don't have the same effect. But I make it in a stick form as well (slightly different formula) for those who prefer it that way.

Ok Now I "see" it. All I could see before was a small tin like you get lip balm in. Now I understand yours is more like a bar of soap & stored in a tin between uses. Nice I like that idea also, but if I'm going to sell these in Fla it will be in the winter only, which is the only time anyone would probably want them anyway. Unless they use them for massage.

I don't adjust much usually and only when it's real hot

1.0 shea

1.0 kokum

2.2 bw

1.8 oils

I've used IPM in my bars cuts the grease. Nice

It's something you'd have to play with.

I use twist top plastic only cansue I don't like to hold it. But as CB said what ever works for you and your customers is ok.

• Like 1