Non-Greasy Lotion Bar Recipe

Tammie

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
How do these hold up in heat? I will be selling at a farmers market this year. WE get around 90 at the hottest . I would like to have them in push or twist tubes.

Thanks,

Bethany

I live in Florida and have been participating in a Farmers Market for the past few weeks...it's been up in the 80's and sunny....no melts yet!

I live in Florida and have been participating in a Farmers Market for the past few weeks...it's been up in the 80's and sunny....no melts yet!

Forgot to add...I replace the Kokum butter with Cocoa Butter...not sure if that makes a difference with regard to the melting.

Made these with cocoa butter instead of Kokum yesterday. They are pretty hard! Once I got it worked in it was wonderful. Very different feel from a lotion or butter. Almost like a skin protectant.

I used push up tubes - I hate them! I thought they would stay up once pushed, but they just slide back down so you have to keep your finger in there while you spread it on. it can also fall out the top. I will be searching the net for twist tubes.

Is microwaving it all ok? That's what I did because this first batch was so small.

Thanks for the recipe!

Bethany

I've found with push tubes, if you cool your mixture till it's forming a scum on the top and then pour into the push tubes, this helps so they don't slip so easily. The push tubes I'm using now came with instructions to pour between certain temperatures (can't remember right now). After the first pour, I reheat the mixture that has stuck to my mixing container and finish filling the last tube. The refill temperature doesn't matter as much if you let the first pour set up.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

When using shea and cocoa butters together, would you use unrefined shea or refined? The cocoa butter smells of chocolate, what does shea smell like?

Sorry for all the questions, just wondering which to order :undecided .

Anjie,x.

I'd like to try this also, I currently use the BCN base and it is so greasy. I would like to add soy to it so I can keep with my soy line. Any suggestions for a recipe? I am very new to making these things and not sure of what to sub out.

Angie, I find unrefined seems more "nourishing" but it's also a bit sticky and has an earthy-nutty odor, so I stick with refined for this.

BTW, unrefined cocoa butter smells of chocolate, refined is basically odorless.

Lotion bars hold up well in heat, but cannot be in direct sunlight or they will melt, I always let my customers know that if they accidentally melt one then put it in the fridge and it will solidify.

Isn't the heat gun great? I use it to top off my lip balms.

I have never tried soy, but you could play around with it omitting maybe the beeswax.

People love them in tins, I use regular size muffin tins as molds, then package in 2 oz. tins, they are a little over an ounce in weight but last forever. A great selling point is how long they last versus traditional lotion, which means you can charge more A) Because they are unique B) the longevity of the end product

Elle

• 1 month later...