Non-Greasy Lotion Bar Recipe

Tammie

I'm with Lynsday, can you use corn starch instead of Isopropyl Myristate? I tried the original recipe on the first page and came out real greasy. I remelted it down and added 1/2 oz more of the beezwax and it cut some of the grease, but it's still pretty greasy. I was wondering if anybody tried anything else to cut down on the grease? Thanks for your advice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, dumb question here. Are these lotion bars something you use in place of regular lotion, or as a bath type bar?

Also, do you just rub the bar on the dry spots or do you get them wet?

These sound easy to make and I would like to try them, but want to make sure I know what to do with them once they are made.

Thanks!

Michelle

Well, I don't use them wet, but I suppose you could try applying to wet skin - I never tried. I know Lush has some that get applied wet and then rinsed off, but as far as I know - these aren't those (but I've been wrong before LOL).

They are basically rubbing solid oils on your skin. And oh yes, they are easy peasy to make!

I love my lotion bars! And veryone that tries em loves em too. I do use micas to color them, so everything is color coordinatd and easy to spot the same scent through my whole line, from bar soap to lotion to solid bubble bath...

This looks like a yummy formula, though I'm not a fan of the dragyness that BW gives me. I formulated my bars with soy and used candellila to make up for the softness ofthe soy and softer butters I prefer to use, aloe and avocado. Though I do wish I could find an uncolored candellila or might consider trying carnuba, though I'm not sure what kind of skin feel that would give me.

I don't find it very greasy or hard to apply except for the tube I leave in the car during the winter. Being in central TX, i haven't had to many problems with melting at this point, but then I haven't done many outdoor shows to have to deal with it and will see how things go this weekend at the FM.

• 1 month later...

Well - I tried this last weekend using Cocoa Butter instead of Kokum (didn't have any) and it was EASY!!!! It was only a small batch and perfect for 1st time - cut it up into smaller slices and gave some to colleagues at work - they loved it.... will be trying out a bigger batch in the next few days!!!

Thank you for sharing!!!

:)

• 3 months later...
I can see me explaining to my husband why I have bought 10 rolls of cinnamon buns :laugh2:! I never thought to use those though. I did find a mold that I can use with the 4oz tins, I will just have to not pour all the way to the top of the mold so it will fit in the tin.

Angi

I know this is a very old post, but wondered what you found to use for the 4 oz mold. Has anyone found anything else to use for molds. I am making 2 oz and possibly a 1 oz.

Yes those are the ones! I don't think they were closeout at TG, because they would be great for deodorant. I'm trying to find the blush twist up tubes. I think I'd like those better for these bars.

I'm not really sure what I did wrong, :embarasse but these suckers aren't going to melt unless I nuke them! They are freakin rock hard. Luckily I only made 4 :laugh2: my poor family will be forced to use them up!

You could use a dollop of Hot Glue or silicone to fill the hole.

Also the Lotion bar recipe is easy to remember at equal parts "Wax, Butter and Oil" Your choice.

hi everyone,

i've read everything in this thread. no one mentions using any of the many variations on faces, only hands. maybe grandma ariel, do you use yours on your face, since you mentioned using it after motorcycle rides?? i know for a face i shouldn't use cocoa butter since it clogs pores. i'm not into lotions at all, just candles and now M&P soap.

i want to try something with emu oil for my girlfriend who has rosacea. i know emu oil is in a lot of lotions that are recommended for rosacea.

any help appreciated, including what else i should possibly avoid if i can make this for facial use.

TIA!!

eileen

I just made a lip balm with Emu and Bees Wax but Emu and my lips just don't like each other. So I re-melted and mixed in shae, cocoa butter, some cyclo and corn starch. Used Candy Cane from BG and it smells yummy. Not exactly what I wanted, need to review what the different oils are good for and then mix up another batch. Some day I'll have time to do more playing around with them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2 oz bees wax

1 oz shea butter

1 oz kokum butter

2 oz SAO

Ok, dragging this thread up because a friend asked me to make her a rich cream for her winter dry skin.

The beeswax is really hard, and the sweet almond oil is liquid. They seem like they would cancel each other out. So what do they bring to the formula as far as skin care? Couldn't you just melt, scent, and pour the butters you're using and that's enough?

2 oz bees wax

1 oz shea butter

1 oz kokum butter

2 oz SAO

Ok, dragging this thread up because a friend asked me to make her a rich cream for her winter dry skin.

The beeswax is really hard, and the sweet almond oil is liquid. They seem like they would cancel each other out. So what do they bring to the formula as far as skin care? Couldn't you just melt, scent, and pour the butters you're using and that's enough?

yea, you could. but shea butter is greasy, and kokum is pretty hard. cocoa butter is lovely and I do use chunks of that straight, but it can clog pores and you need to get it pretty warm to melt so while it's great in the summer - not so great in the cooler months. Mango butter gets soft fast.

So with a blend you can customize hardness, slickness, etc.

OK, that helps. Thanks.

I asked way back if a preservative was needed for this and was answered 'no', but can't nasties grow in this stuff even if we're not purposely introducing water to it? Or, my friend could wash her hands, and while they're still damp grab up the lotion bar, thereby leaving a bit of water on the bar. Just our handling them period transfers bacteria from our hands to stuff, and I would be mortified if she told me my product was growing green fuzz! Since this is bothering me I'll probably add it for my own piece of mind!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone have results using cornstarch to help with grease? I saw a couple posts about that.

Also, one post said beeswax has some drag to it. How about using bw & soy wax half & half? Thoughts?

i use 1 rounded tsp of dryflow ppo. this is a modified cornstarch available at most b & b suppliers. cornstarch works just as well.

i'm tinkering with soywax lotion sticks-i think it gives a silkier feel to your skin. if you use soywax then you'll need to reduce your liquid oils and increase your butters and wax. soywax is much softer than beeswax and a lower melting temp, but i believe it has better glide.

i'm also tinkering with LIPIDTHIX from lotioncrafters. you can turn any liquid oil into a butter-like shortening.

that way you could use olive oil or jojoba, etc as a butter.

HTH