I need a new printer, Any suggestions would be helpful!!

redraider

My HP photosmart premium printer died today and I need a new one. I don't dare try to get it cleaned and fixed. Mouse got in it over the winter and left presents and the moth infestation here in Texas the last two weeks finished it off for me.

What printer can you all suggest. I liked my HP but really wanted some feedback. I haven't even had this printer 2 years but realize the breakdown was not due to the printer itself but to critters in the candle barn.

Laser or Ink?

Brand

Mac friendly

Edited by redraider

For laser, you can't beat an entry level Brother color. For inkjet, I still use an ink-thirsty HP officejet that prints excellent quality, but would consider an Epson with durabrite ink or a canon if I needed another reasonably priced ink jet.

I love my Cannon too. Scanner, printer, copier. Pretty good on ink (inkjet) I think it was $39 at Walmart a few years back, not sure what it is now.

For the laser, I can say that I had a ton of trouble with the Brother(s) color and black only. The black only gave lots of problems with not printing evenly.

I now have a HP Deskjet All-in-One. I am very happy with it. The ink cartridges are 14.99 at Target and they do last a normal amount of time.

On the other hand, we also have a Kodak All-in-One. It won't print my labels that are black on clear gloss right. They come out a light gray color.

jeanie - what model is that printer. $14.99 cartridges have me inquiring.

It is the HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One. The cartridge number is 60. They come in regular and large size, also sometimes there are really good deals on the color/black combo pack.

I've had it for awhile but maybe you can still find one out there somewhere.

HTH

I bought my Dell All-In-One Inkjet printer back in 2005 and it still runs like a champ. Great color and ink cartridges run $25 for black and $29 for color. I print all my brochures, biz cards, and labels out. Prints everything nice with the exception of clear labels. You have to let each page dry and spray on a clear Krylon gloss finish then the labels look good and are water resistent.

This year its going on 7 yrs old and it still runs great. Ink prices for Dell cartridges have not gone up very much over the years. They are still pretty cheap compared to others.

I have a epson Artisan 835 and to be blunt it sucks!! It uses ink so fast and I use only their "high output" cartridges. You cannot just use black if the one of the color cartridges are low. No matter how much I cleaned it the heads always need re-cleaning which uses more ink!! It smears on glossy labels and it's about to he smashed to oblivion. Definately not recommended and that's from experience.

Mike

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really want one I can print black labels with that look black, not gray. I have a new customer who owns a spa and she is wanting black labels with gold lettering.

$14.99 for print cartridges sounds like a deal. I have order a brother laser that I am going to keep in the house so away from the critters that lurk in the barn. I think I will get an less expensive all in one to put in the candle room and beg my father to make me a hard box to put over it for when I am not out there using it to keep things from crawling in.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really want one I can print black labels with that look black, not gray. I have a new customer who owns a spa and she is wanting black labels with gold lettering.

$14.99 for print cartridges sounds like a deal. I have order a brother laser that I am going to keep in the house so away from the critters that lurk in the barn. I think I will get an less expensive all in one to put in the candle room and beg my father to make me a hard box to put over it for when I am not out there using it to keep things from crawling in.

Most times I get my cartridges for the HP at Target.com when I order something else. When I get them at the store itself, I'm not sure if they are $14.99 or a bit more. I just grab one if needed in a hurry and don't check price. I should of made that clear in my original post.

http://www.target.com/p/HP-60-Ink-Cartridge-Black-CC640WN-140/-/A-10930864

HTH

I have to say that while the printer and cartridges are more expensive to purchase the laser printer will save you TONS of $$ in the long run. I have an OKI (C5200n) that I bought 4-5yrs ago for $300 at Staples on clearance. I have replaced each cartridge about 1x a year ($60-100 each for the high yield cartridges) and one set of drums ($100 ea) and print more than the average because we run my business and my husband's out of the house. While it was out for cleaning/service this past fall I had to use our HP Officejet 4500 all in one inkjet that we have to use the copy/fax feature and as a backup color printer for my business. In 1 month I used almost $200 in ink printing just my labels and signage for my fall shows and orders (he used our black laser printer - he owns an IT company so we have LOTS of equipment!) and I had some labels smudge (doesn't ever happen with the color laser). The laser printer also prints more crisply and with truer colors than our current or past ink jet.

In my opinion if you have the $ to invest in the color laser it wouldn't even be a choice between ink jet or laser....it would be laser all the way! Staples has an OKI on sale/special buy for $299 right now.

Got my Brother laser up and running this morning and printed about 60 pages of labels. So far very impressed. There are a couple labels that I like better on my old inkjet but overall the labels look so much better. I can always use my mom's inkjet(she lives next door) to print the couple of labels that I like better on ink.

I can't get over how much faster the laser is. Best part is I got it set up wireless so I can send items to print from my laptop from anywhere in the house or out in the candle barn and I don't have to kick my kids off the desktop computer. Never putting another printer in the candle barn!!!! No more critters, well except for my cat who is completely enthralled with the new item on my desk.

I went with the 4570. I ordered it from Amazon and it was cheaper than all the office places. Including shipping it still came in under what office max, depot, best buy etc we selling it for. I had to order anyway because no one stocked it locally.

I am in need of a new printer as well and was wondering if anyone has one that has the option to print one label at a time? I do a lot of specialty/custom labels for people and sometimes only need one of a certain label. It has gotten far too expensive to print out an entire page for only one label. Also clarity is very important. My current Hp is ok but even with full ink levels certain pictures are not crisp, colors take on a glare of sorts and the color that is on my computer is not always the color that comes out of the printer. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are getting a laser, go HP. If getting an inkjet, Canon is the best IMO. Buy the more expensive printer which takes separate cartridges for black and each color. You will save more money in the long run. Canon produces very good quality. I think you can do a single label with the Canon by using the bypass feed but you must increase the thickness setting.

As to the color on the computer being different, that is typical and you will have to spend thousand of dollars to get something where the screen color matches the printer exactly, like a commercial publishing system. This is regardless of the brand of printer. HTH