Ocean Scent: The Great Scent Challenge

rctfavr3

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Moon Works Celestial Seas...it has a little floral in it but I don't pick up on it when its burning...

This bold and brisk water fragrance opens with a salty, ozonic sea spray but what develops is an ocean musk built from sea moss, driftwood and sand. Hidden but slightly evident are crisp notes of soft violet, jasmine and lily rose that give the otherwise stout fragrance a delicate clean character.

Salty seaglass from wsp sounds interesting.... no floral

"Blend of marine, citrus, woods and ozone"

I have never heard of this company and do not know the quality or if they can be used in candles - it looks like a soap supply in Canada.... K & W Companies -but found it in a search and they have a Seaweed FO that sounds really interesting for a mixer

"Seaweed FO This fragrance captures the essence of the ocean as the gentle waves bring in sea foam and seaweed with the tide. The fresh, green, ozone top with it’s heart of clary sage, fir needle, coriander and parsley, and the sea moss base gives you a very different sea scent. Most ocean scents are cool and refreshing, but this one is rich and full."

Salty seaglass from wsp sounds interesting.... no floral

"Seaweed FO This fragrance captures the essence of the ocean as the gentle waves bring in sea foam and seaweed with the tide. The fresh, green, ozone top with it’s heart of clary sage, fir needle, coriander and parsley, and the sea moss base gives you a very different sea scent. Most ocean scents are cool and refreshing, but this one is rich and full."

That Seaweed FO sounds good! 'Will have to try that one.

Indiana Candle Supply has a new oil called Catch the Wave...

Candles and Supplies have Seashore and Oceans1 type.

havent tried the new one from ICS, but the 2 from C & S smell wonderful and works great in paraffin.

Catcus and sea salt is wonderful too. That one is from ICS also.

I just soaped Sea Glass from WSP 2 weeks ago. It is very floral. I didn't really notice the floral notes in the bottle, but after I got it into the oils, and as it's curing it has a definate floral smell. Actually, that's pretty much what I smell, floral. Little bummed as I didn't want any floral, but it still smells great. Don't think it's what you're looking for though.

The best, period, was AGE's Salty Mariner. I've never found another that was even on the same planet. Unfortunately, AGE is poof, long gone.

Yes, I thought for sure Ahoy Matey was Salty Mariner from AGE. I thought Daystar purchased AGE. I use this scent and blend it to make a tropical marine scent. It is one of the few DS oils that I use. Nice stuff, but too rich for my blood...

Edited by Noodle

I just soaped Sea Glass from WSP 2 weeks ago. It is very floral. I didn't really notice the floral notes in the bottle, but after I got it into the oils, and as it's curing it has a definate floral smell. Actually, that's pretty much what I smell, floral. Little bummed as I didn't want any floral, but it still smells great. Don't think it's what you're looking for though.

Yikes! I never would have thought it too would be heavy floral given it's description. But, you never really get the entire scent characteristics until it's finally candle-cured or soaped. It's so strange that of the many oils out there, none have a true ocean smell once cured. A few have a touched on the salty aspects, but they are often lost once blended with the wax/soap. None of the FO's I've tried have the more stinky realistic aspects of the ocean (for obvious reasons) but that isn't to say they should smell like flowers by contrast. Oceans don't smell like flowers, at least none of them around me! LOL. I can understand why customers would not want their candles smelling of fish and algae :lipsrseal but surely there's a good realistic alternative for an ocean scent sans the soapy floral. I can understand that scents are idealized to be more pleasant, but I guess a pleasant ocean scent without floral components doesn't currently exist.

I have contemplated blending my own, but where to begin has been a big challenge!? Thanks everyone for the recommendations! But, I'm just not finding "THE" scent yet. The hunt for individual scents as well as pre-made ocean FOs continue...

Edited by rctfavr3

Gulf Tides from BCS is the best for candles. I don't know how it would do in soap, B&B. Very salty! Carole

Looking at the MSDS list of reportable ingredients; Gulf Tides seems to be somewhat citrus-like with a hint of vinegar (WOW, who knew?) for that salty quality you mentioned. That covers most of Gulf Tides top notes and it looks like it has a warm amber note at its base of the fragrance, I guess to represent the warm sun/air. It's the middle notes that worry me. Hidden amongst the reportable ingredients is some mild floral-herbal notes which would be good for an ocean scent, if they aren't too heavy-handed. Can you tell I'm picky?! LOL. I'll give this one a try though! Thanks Carole. Just out of curiosity...Would you characterize it as being more powdery-clean like or more fresh green-like? Your review won't sway me either way, I still plan on trying it! LOL ;) Just interested.

Edited by rctfavr3

Suggestion: could someone organize a swap of just these oceany scents? While digging around today I found a bottle of that 'Sea Moss' I mentioned earlier, so I would be willing to contribute that. We could all make up just some tarts or votives; something small and easy to pass around that gives everyone a sample.

Suggestion: could someone organize a swap of just these oceany scents? While digging around today I found a bottle of that 'Sea Moss' I mentioned earlier, so I would be willing to contribute that. We could all make up just some tarts or votives; something small and easy to pass around that gives everyone a sample.

That was the goal, but I think the message got lost amongst the sea of replies (corny pun intended) I'm all for doing an ocean FO scent swap although I think it would be difficult getting everyone to contribute a tart. I was thinking just small sniffies or drams of the fragrance!? IDK. Never done one before - not real sure how to get it going. Would be fun!

Edited by rctfavr3

Looking at the MSDS list of reportable ingredients; Gulf Tides seems to be somewhat citrus-like with a hint of vinegar (WOW, who knew?) for that salty quality you mentioned. That covers most of Gulf Tides top notes and it looks like it has a warm amber note at its base of the fragrance, I guess to represent the warm sun/air. It's the middle notes that worry me. Hidden amongst the reportable ingredients is some mild floral-herbal notes which would be good for an ocean scent, if they aren't too heavy-handed. Can you tell I'm picky?! LOL. I'll give this one a try though! Thanks Carole. Just out of curiosity...Would you characterize it as being more powdery-clean like or more fresh green-like? Your review won't sway me either way, I still plan on trying it! LOL ;) Just interested.

Where are you seeing vinegar? I would say green-like, salty??? Carole

Where are you seeing vinegar? I would say green-like, salty??? Carole

There. It's right...there on the MSDS listed as Acetic Acid, the chemical name for vinegar, or so I was told. It's must be used sparingly in the fragrance. (due to toxicity and it's unfortunate candle and soap seizing effect) I'm fairly sure those mild acids paired with a few other compounds, is what's contributing to it's perceived saltiness. I'm liking this FO more and more! Based on the description, a forced review :) and it's MSDS ingredients, I think it may work. I can't wait to order!

Edited by rctfavr3

The MSDS says acetic acid, phenyl methyl ester. This has been confused with vinegar. Acetic acid, phenyl methyl ester (or phenylmethyl acetate, or benzyl acetate) has a fruity odor.

Vinegar (household name) is nothing more than acetic acid diluted with water. In this instance, it's still has the same aspects and possibly the same smells as vinegar, but it is used only in trace and is blended with another aroma molecule to develop and create a new scent, in this case phenyl methyl ester is incorporated to create fruity herbal top note; most likely a melon, cucumber, or grapefruit scent in the final fragrance. The vinegar aspects are no longer perceived, as that singular keynote, no longer exists. If acetic acid was paired with something else, or used heavily in a blend, then those vinegar aspects would be noted in the final fragrance e.g a dill pickle FO or other "sour" fragrances. Many unpleasant aroma chemicals when used in trace will further enhance or a scent. Like indole, a fecal smelling note used in many florals. While the chemical compound for vinegar is Acetic acid, it won't be noticed in the fragrance or listed as being vinegar, especially if it's compounded with other aroma molecules.

Well, I've been making candles, soap & B&B for almost 10 yrs and this is the 1st I've heard of vinegar being in FOs. Why would it be in gardenia? Bug

Just guessing, but it might be either the actual extract contains a small trace amount of natural acetic acid formed in the flower OR it's used with other aroma chemicals to better develop the gardenia smell. Rarely if ever, is the "vinegar" aspects perceived in the final fragrance.

Edited by rctfavr3

Agreed, but it does still incorporate acetic acid in it's scent makeup. It's just paired with phenyl methyl ester and is changes into "acetic acid, phenyl methyl ester" to create an entirely new singular scent compound that may or may not no longer smell of vinegar ( most likely not) If the compound contains acetic acid weather it's compounded with a methyl phenyl group or not...it is still in the FO just not as singular acetic acid. I never said it WAS a compound in the FO, only that it was in the fragrance oil.

Edited by rctfavr3