Ocean Scent: The Great Scent Challenge

rctfavr3

I've tried nearly 15 different ocean scents looking for a realistic true salty sea smell only to be disappointed with floral and powdery blends that were too perfumey to be realistic. I'm just not happy with any of them. So....

I'm thinking of creating my own ocean blend. If it turns out OK, I should be able to get SOS or some other manufacturing/supplier to make up a batch. Save on Scents will dupe a fragrance for free (within reason), but I'm fairly sure others will as well.

If there truly are other peeps interested in getting a better sea-scented FO, maybe we should all work together to create one! Anyone up for the challenge?

I figured we could brainstorm on the forum with feedback from other members to come up with each of our own base notes, middle notes, and top notes used to create the fragrance, and then from there we can test different batches via member-to- member "sniffie" exchanges; sending out small scent samples in the mail. We would then review each member's interpretation of their "ocean" scent via PM messages and tweak where needed until we're all happy with our new custom forum-designed fragrance!

This process I think would be a fun new addition to the forum, and a great way to get new scents made by forum members who have the nose to create them. I'm all for trying to come up with a new ocean scent.

Let me know if your interested.

Edited by rctfavr3

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should definitely get some input from Scented. She creates a lot of scents on her own and in this forum with our input. Don't recall that she did an ocean themed scent before but I'm sure she would have some very helpful insight.

I'd go with ozone for starters. Don't know if this should be the base but I can't imagine an ocean type without it.

What I think ocean types lack is a citrus note. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me citrus would add a clean, crisp, sweetness note without the heavy florals some have. A sub for citrus and/or floral could be cactus. Don't discount it until you've tried it. Its not just for desert or ponderosa types.

If we were creating an ocean breeze type I would definitely add a floral like freezia and maybe some cucumber. Hmmm... maybe I have a much different memory of ocean scents and breezes. Used to live in California remember many trips to Laguna beach, Corona Del Mar, Dana Point, and all along the coast. There are notes of sand, sun, succulant cactus type plants that grow among the grasses and wild flowers and summer garden's of coastal homes.

This sounds like a fun challenge! I'm interested to see how this develops :-)

It might not develop into anything. LOL. Without other members input and participation...well I don't think I can come up with a scent on my own. But I'll try it. With Summer sales approaching, I need to get something created soon.

You should definitely get some input from Scented. She creates a lot of scents on her own and in this forum with our input. Don't recall that she did an ocean themed scent before but I'm sure she would have some very helpful insight.

I'd go with ozone for starters. Don't know if this should be the base but I can't imagine an ocean type without it.

What I think ocean types lack is a citrus note. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me citrus would add a clean, crisp, sweetness note without the heavy florals some have. A sub for citrus and/or floral could be cactus. Don't discount it until you've tried it. Its not just for desert or ponderosa types.

If we were creating an ocean breeze type I would definitely add a floral like freezia and maybe some cucumber. Hmmm... maybe I have a much different memory of ocean scents and breezes. Used to live in California remember many trips to Laguna beach, Corona Del Mar, Dana Point, and all along the coast. There are notes of sand, sun, succulant cactus type plants that grow among the grasses and wild flowers and summer garden's of coastal homes.

Sounds like you have a concept going with utilizing citrus notes. Did you want to participate in the scent swap? If not, thanks for pointing me in a direction I wouldn't have thought of that on my own. Is ozone a fragrance you can purchase?

Edited by rctfavr3

Just a suggestion as I am in the very beginning stages of mixing fo's, but what about AH/RE Fresh Aire and Sea Kelp as 2 of the components?

both of those FOs have a floral-powder musk. I do like Sea Kelp a little more, but it's still perfume-like. I think it's a vetiver base.

Edited by rctfavr3

Don't know if this will help in your search/experiments, but Bramble Berry has a "Sea Moss" FO:

http://www.brambleberry.com/Sea-Moss-Fragrance-Oil-P3350.aspx

"Sea Moss is a unique blend of Bergamot, Orchid, Jasmine and Violet with supporting notes of Ozone (air), Sandalwood, Musk and of course, Moss. This fragrance could be described as fresh, green and almost a little kelp-y."

Don't know if this will help in your search/experiments, but Bramble Berry has a "Sea Moss" FO:

"Sea Moss is a unique blend of Bergamot, Orchid, Jasmine and Violet with supporting notes of Ozone (air), Sandalwood, Musk and of course, Moss. This fragrance could be described as fresh, green and almost a little kelp-y."

I LOVE Sea Moss and so do my customers, it's a very strong, very green FO!

Re: Sea Moss

If it wasn't for the Orchid, Jasmine and Violet It might smell realistic! :grin2: I'm trying to stay clear of any blends containing a dose of heavy florals.

I haven't tried it, but the description leads me to think that it's just too perfume-like. I've tried many others though, all still too soapy floral to be true to life.

Edited by rctfavr3

Ok....this is perfect...I had been thinking about blending some scents to create a better.. more perfect ocean scent too because they all seem like they are missing just a little something.... I was thinking of blending sea kelp -AH (.30) , salty sea air -ICS ( .30) and tidal wave - BCN ( .30) with a dash of cucumber -(I had read on this blog that several people thought AH had a wonderful clean cucmber) ( .10).... I don't know...but if I was going to mix..this is what I would use as I love all of those scents and had been wondering what all combined might smell like...... this is an excellent challenge...:)

@ Puma So you won't be mixing then? I was thinking of mixing my own, and was hoping others would mix their own blends...so we can all swap and test them! But, I need some challengers.

Edited by rctfavr3

This thread is going to make me cry.

The best, period, was AGE's Salty Mariner. I've never found another that was even on the same planet. Unfortunately, AGE is poof, long gone.

Is Brambleberry's Salty Mariner the same?

Edited by rctfavr3

I've tried nearly 15 different ocean scents looking for a realistic true salty sea smell only to be disappointed with floral and powdery blends that were too perfumey to be realistic. .

What are the ones that you have tried?

What does ocean smell like to you? From my experience, it smells different in different parts of the world. Candybee noted that she thinks of citrus and/or cactus. That's not how I would describe the north Atlantic! And I would even say that the Maine, NH and Mass ocean smell different from each other.

This sounds really good! Now I will have to place an order with BB...

This thread is going to make me cry.

The best, period, was AGE's Salty Mariner. I've never found another that was even on the same planet. Unfortunately, AGE is poof, long gone.

Ahoy Matey is the same thing. I don't have my notebook with me, so I'm not sure who the vendor is. I think it's Day Star?

What are the ones that you have tried?

What does ocean smell like to you? From my experience, it smells different in different parts of the world. Candybee noted that she thinks of citrus and/or cactus. That's not how I would describe the north Atlantic! And I would even say that the Maine, NH and Mass ocean smell different from each other.

I live in the South. It's the Gulf/North Atlantic for me. To me the ocean smell briny and somewhat dirty. A slight twinge of sea grasses and tropical Florida air with a hint of low tide funk the ocean scent itself is just awful. LOL. In Maine, I can see it smelling very different almost crisp and cool. It's one of the reasons why I wanted to see if we could get a scent swap group going on our custom ocean scents. Interested in seeing how others interpret the smell of their ocean and beaches.

Edited by rctfavr3

Is Brambleberry's Salty Mariner the same?

I don't have any idea.

Ahoy Matey is the same thing. I don't have my notebook with me, so I'm not sure who the vendor is. I think it's Day Star?

That's good to know. I never ordered from her. Not once. Loaded my cart many times, but backed out. No reason.

ooh! I've heard great reviews of Salty Mariner. I may have to give the Ahoy Matey a try! I want a good salty ocean type for salt bars so it has to be soap safe and also stick in CP.

I didn't like Ahoy Matey too much. It had the salty brine notes but they were extremely fleeting as the majority of the scent became a powdery chemical very quickly. The scent was strong, though to me, it lost more and more of it's "sea" aspects as it burned.

Edited by rctfavr3

SOS's "Fishing Pier" has the salty notes and even a fish note. It's actually not all that bad. The problem, as with most of Save On Scents oils, is that it's WAY too weak to be a standalone product. Blended with something else It could make an excellent ocean fragrance, but what to blend it with, and to what ratio is the challenge. Too much of another ocean scent and the "fishing pier" scent would disappear completely. Ugh. Finding a "real" ocean scent is more challenging than it should be!?

Edited by rctfavr3

@ Puma So you won't be mixing then? I was thinking of mixing my own, and was hoping others would mix their own blends...so we can all swap and test them! But, I need some challengers.

Well rctfavr3.....let me dig around my scent closet...I have the Sea Kelp, the Salty Sea Air and I have to look to see if I have the Cucumber and Tidal Wave....the earliest I could blend would be next weekend as I have to get back to work tomorrow....but it would be fun....:) Who knows what all these great minds here might come up with? hee hee....could be pretty darned good!!

Well rctfavr3.....let me dig around my scent closet...I have the Sea Kelp, the Salty Sea Air and I have to look to see if I have the Cucumber and Tidal Wave....the earliest I could blend would be next weekend as I have to get back to work tomorrow....but it would be fun....:) Who knows what all these great minds here might come up with? hee hee....could be pretty darned good!!

Great! :) We still need a few more people to participate and then we can share/swap our blends with other members!

Edited by rctfavr3