Ocean Scent: The Great Scent Challenge

rctfavr3

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found an interesting one:

Wind Swept Shores

This ocean-type fragrance captures the essence of a day at the seashore! A dry, musky base with notes of balsam and sandalwood supports notes of bergamot, grapefruit, and ozonic top notes, lending to the perception of clean, salty air.

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/fragranceoils_wind-swept-shores.html

I had that one and it's horrible! IMO

Very perfumey - very overwhelming make you gag perfume

What about a touch of bamboo or dune grass? -I am no good at mixing but every time I smell bamboo or dune grass I think of Florida and the ocean

If it would be a good mixer I have a 1 ounce bamboo I can send and a ton of dune grass (WSP) to be able to send a couple ounces

What about a touch of bamboo or dune grass? -I am no good at mixing but every time I smell bamboo or dune grass I think of Florida and the ocean

If it would be a good mixer I have a 1 ounce bamboo I can send and a ton of dune grass (WSP) to be able to send a couple ounces

Oh that would be great to use. Esp the dune grass. I have a green tea and bamboo FO I thought about using in a blend as well. Good blender suggestions. I'll PM ya my mailling address. Thank ya moonshine for offering!

Edited by rctfavr3

I had that one and it's horrible! IMO

Very perfumey - very overwhelming make you gag perfume

LOL! Yuck. This is the reason why I want to get this challenge knocked out. I can't stand those perfume-like ocean scents that smell more like bathroom spray than the ocean. But, it's this very reason why I want to desperately try and recreate a true to life ocean scent blend. I was leary of this one from the beginning but figured I'd try it anyway. I've already ordered it, so we'll see how it smells. I have a feeling its going to be another powdery floral. Thanks for the feedback on this FO.

Edited by rctfavr3

This may be an odd question but I figured I'd ask it anyway. :rolleyes2 I'm looking for a "singular note" fragrance or EO that has the scent characterstics of "fish" :cheesy2: to add a touch or so to the ocean blend(s) for more realism. Does something like this exist?

I've already checked SOS and the archived Taylored Concepts but couldn't find anything. I think this note along with the dirty salty smells are what's missing in most of the ocean FOs. At the very least; I think they would greatly tone down some of the gag inducing florals found in many ocean fragrances. I know anise oil, when used sparingly can create that fishy twang, but it's still not exact or realistic. Used in trace amounts, I can see it adding great depth and realism.

Has anyone come across an FO or EO that smells...um, Fishy?

Edited by rctfavr3

I agree, but to me it's finding the right balance between realism and pleasantness. I find that some of the "best" ocean scents don't smell um, like an ocean. LOL. So whatever formula you come up with I would be happy to give it a shot as well. I plan on blending many FOs in the next couple of weeks!

:) Hee hee... you're right about the best ocean scents not smelling like an ocean...the ocean can be downright stinky at times!!

I LOVE Moonshine's idea...adding a little of the Bamboo and Dune Grass....oh this is gettin' good folks!!!! *getdown*

Edited by puma52

have not been posting for a while, only following, but as mentioned early in this thread-try keystone candle's Salty Sea Air. the closest to a real ocean smell. Similar, but much stronger than ICS version.

HTH-kris

have not been posting for a while, only following, but as mentioned early in this thread-try keystone candle's Salty Sea Air. the closest to a real ocean smell. Similar, but much stronger than ICS version.

HTH-kris

Thanks for that! I'll look into it.

I got my Ahoy Matey yesterday from Daystar.... it is fabulous!! you can totally smell just a hint of the marine algea, zero floral.... I think this is a must to add in the mix!

Hows the drydown? Because the perfume this scent is based off of...smells powdery rather quickly. Not floral, but too dry to smell WET. It does give off a great initial ocean scent. I've tried a small paper strip of Ahoy and thought it also smelled powdery, but not nearly as much as the perfume. I'm still kinda hesitant to use it. But might give it ago in a minute amount. Just my opinion. Thanks for the info!

Edited by rctfavr3

I just re- read thru here and realized you already tried this one- OOB I smell no powder - I will put it on a test strip and some on my wrist and see what it does- that sucks if it gets powdery when burning

I have to place an order with SOS tomorrow so I will get a sample of the sea glass and see what that's like....

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Salty Sea Air from Just Scents - loved it! Unfortunately, they do not carry it anymore. Does anyone know who has a similar scent? I did order Ocean from Peaks and will try it out, but am not sure where to go from there.

If you need some "Ocean" from Peaks for testing, let me know!

I used to use Salty Sea Air from Just Scents - loved it! Unfortunately, they do not carry it anymore. Does anyone know who has a similar scent? I did order Ocean from Peaks and will try it out, but am not sure where to go from there.

If you need some "Ocean" from Peaks for testing, let me know!

I have enough FOs for blending. I just haven't found the time to start blending them, LOL. If it isn't too much to ask, I'd love your impression of Peak's Ocean.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey! Any updates on how the scent blend is coming?

Ha. It's going. I have 2.5 blends right now - and waiting for one FO to be mailed, should have it by Mon. Hope to have 4 blends ready to ship in a week, with each smelling like: sea brine, cool ocean, beach, and marina. I must warn you though, at least 2 of them will smell slightly fishy. The goal being they can be added to any ocean fragrance to add a touch more realism.

For better reviews I plan to ship them without labels for unbiased opinions and better critiques. Each vial of scent will be color-coded as a reference. After each scent is evaluated, I'll then ask which color-coded scent you liked best and worst. We'll decide the winning FO blend and give it name, and finally ship a small batch out for replication to a few FO suppliers where the new scent can then be regularly ordered.

Edited by rctfavr3

You're welcome. It's fun blending.

I actually overshot one of my blends, and had to purchase a little more Salty Mariner (Arrg!). But, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by them all. I will say that they are slightly weak in scent throw. But, this is by design! Each scent blend can be heightened as much as 50% more, during replication. The only way to temper some of the more abrasive florals in a few FOs, was to use less of it, also I had to dilute the scents a little in order to stretch them out for samples. Ideally, I should be able to tell the supplier (once put thru spectral analysis) what parts need to be tweaked, when we come to that juncture later on.

I'm really happy with them so far. I just got one more to do and then I'll be finished.

I already have a favorite, ( but it might change with the last FO blend) It will be interesting to see what you all like!

Edited by rctfavr3