Tarts

LynnS

I sell my tarts (2 in a pack) for $1.25 on internet. I see them online for $.60 each.So is that about right and what most of you sell yours for.

Craft shows in this area I sell the pack for $1.00 each. No one would pay anything higher in Ohio or at least not the area I live.Some of the bigger towns might sell for more.

Thanks

LynnS

I don't do individual tarts, I do clams, but... how much does each tart weigh? I've seen some that are 1.5 oz each almost .. so two, would be a drop more wax, than I have in my entire clamshell ... so I guess it depends on what yours weigh, how much your wax/scent/color/packaging/label/ink breaks down to.

The people around here go to flea markets.Then they come to me and say they can get them cheaper there.I don't know how KY is but I know how Ohio is. I've been doing craft shows for over 6 years and hardly sell a tart.Candles yes but not alot of tarts.I've had people from KYcome to this area to do shows they can't believe it.I don't see them again.I have a friend in KY.We keep in touch.I met her at a craft show. She never came back.She didn't sell candles but what she sold was a seller in her area but Ohio people walked right by her.

People have to understand it's where you live.I sell my products for what others around here do and I know I have a great product.I'm told that. I had $5.00 on a 8 ounce JJ.People would come by and ask "How much are your candles".I would tell them and they walked off. Last year I refused to do shows.Not worth my time and hassle.I know my customers missed me but hope they understand.

LynnS

I see individual scalloped edge melts go for $1.00 here. If they are fancy decorated then more. I wouldn't worry about online prices unless you want to sell a lot online. Too many people online price their stuff too low I think; but there can be fierce competition in places.

Not withstanding that these are hard economical times, getting name/product recognition often means selling at cost. Once you build a customer base then you have more power to charge a little more IMHO. It has taken me about three years for people to suddenly discover my cp soap and about 5 years to establish my candles as being worth the extra amount over a giant wally world candle. If you have a good product it will eventually pay you dividends. New songwriters and artists typically give away their first compositions to get their foot in the door. I think you have it about right IMHO.

Steve

Steve has an excellent point! Would it be possible, for a while at least, to do the melts at or not far over cost, and retain the rest of your products as you have them now. You might not make so much money, but you'll bring in customers to buy, look, and possibly buy more items.

Hi Lynn,

I sell my tarts in a 6 pack for $6.00. I feel that $1 per tart is very fair... don't undersell yourself ....you work/have worked very hard to make an excellent product!! Another thing to think of is if you price your product too low, your customers may think they are getting a cheap product. Do you also sell the tart/jar warmers? Maybe offer different warmers and maybe also do a combo sell of the two items together? Buy some pretty jars that would be good to use for the warmers and make some wickless. People LOVE different things for their homes. YOU AND YOUR PRODUCTS ARE MUCH BETTER than any ole Walmart or cheap flea market. Believe it or not there are folks out there that DON'T have a clue what a tart or tart warmer is....you may need to educate your customers and bring them into the tart/tart warmer world....get them hooked on your product and make them want more. I also would tell your customers that they may be able to get tarts / candles/ whatever cheaper at a flea market, but they also WON'T get the quality product from there that you have and offer! Don't give up....make a plan!! :smiley2:

Edited by puma52

I have have never had anyone bat an eye at 2.00 per melt- I do the individual scalloped molds and wrap them seperately in a lip seal bag that fits them perfectly with the warning label on the back and my name with scent on the front

I offer a quantity deal buy 10 for 15.00 which makes them 1.50 each and I sell the warmers for 25.00 that come with 3 melts of their choice and a gift basket if needed- I do not advertise but the people that have come in for our other business's all come back for more and new people trickle in slowly

• 3 weeks later...

I just did my first craft show about two weeks ago. My tarts were selling like hot cakes! I sell the scalloped ones (approximately 1 ounce each) for $1, but none of them sold at the craft show. The cup tarts (approximately 1.5 ounces of wax) sold great at $1.50 and the clamshell tarts (approximately 3 ounces of wax) sold great at $3.00. Sc*ntsy is really, really big around here right now. I've had so many customers come back for more of my tarts because they are cheaper, last longer and smell better than that other one. :-) That makes me happy to hear!

• 1 month later...

I sell more tarts, clamshell and 2 ounce cups, than anything else I carry. I had a craft show this past Saturday and sold quite a few of my tarts to a lady who is a Scentsy rep. She asked if she could melt my tarts in her Scentsy warmer, which is a common question I get almost every show that I do, and I told her my tarts will melt fine in her warmer. She asked a few questions and sniffed every pack I had on the table before buying. I sell my clamshell tarts for $4.25, 2 ounce cups for $2.25, 4 ounce bag of mini melts (each tart is .30 ounces) for $4.00 and an 8 ounce bag of wax brittle for $7.

It all depends on the perceived quality and venue. At a flea market people expect super bargains. Same with a garage sale. You need to find a niche and cater to it. You also need to be confident that your product is worthwhile. Sure you could use tarts as a loss leader to (hopefully) gain new customers if that fits with your business plan.

In my area (farming community where beer is more prized than soap or candles) I sell loads of single shrink wrapped 1 oz soy tarts/melts for $1.50-2 each and 6 cavity clamshells for $4 with a slight discount for 10 of either form. They are each packaged to look pretty and highlight the fact that they're different than, and of a much better quality than, the big guys. They smell great and work as well as, if not better than any higher priced option they could buy commercially.

I actually take chunks and package them in 1 oz packages and they sell for 1.25 easy at my shows. I call them melt mixers and tell folks that they can mix the different melts to create their own scents. Seems fairly popular. Usually sell out quickly.

Can you show us a picture of your product? I've been to craft shows where the packaging made all the difference in the world. There was a booth that sold soy candles. All of his candles were uneven, and his melts were packaged and smudged, etc. Knowing the process that I do, I knew he put in the effort to make a nice product, but lost it in his packaging.