Cremains Candle

Someone asked me if I could make some special cremains candles.

My first thought was that the "ashes" are not going to burn because they are the ground bones that already went through the process of fire. My second thought was that they might wick and start a fire at the top of the wax pool. My third thought was that they would not be good to be breathing and maybe they would clog the wick.

Then I got to thinking more (which is usually scary).

What about a light layer in the bottom of the glass with just a little bit of cremains mixed in with the wax and a super tall safety tab?

Or, a very light mix in the wax, so light that it amounts to less that what ends up with wick ash when the wicks don't get trimmed.

Of course, the candle would be white, no FO so testing would be without the cremains.

A nice photo of the person on clear printable 'paper' could be added to the outside of the glass, etc.

Or I guess a pillar with the cremains as part of the pillar but with a hard outer shell that is just pure wax with some light kistka writing on it.

Or a pillar with cremains added and whatever photos/decorations are appropriate with a glass insert for a tealight like a forever candle.

Any thoughts?

Edited by EricofAZ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone asked me if I could make some special cremains candles.

My first thought was that the "ashes" are not going to burn because they are the ground bones that already went through the process of fire. My second thought was that they might wick and start a fire at the top of the wax pool. My third thought was that they would not be good to be breathing and maybe they would clog the wick.

Then I got to thinking (which is usually scary).

What about a light layer in the bottom of the candle with just a little bit of cremains mixed in with the wax and a super tall safety tab?

Or, a very light mix in the wax, so light that it amounts to less that what ends up with wick ash when the wicks don't get trimmed.

Of course, the candle would be white, no FO so testing would be without the cremains.

Glass container. A nice photo of the person on clear printable 'paper' could be added to the outside of the glass, etc.

Or I guess a pillar with the cremains as part of the pillar but with a hard outer shell that is just pure wax with some light kistka writing on it.

Any thoughts?

Time to Profile the UNSUB...

First of all, that's just plain creepy.

That said, I don't think the 'remains' would suspend in the wax unless you did multiple layers and make it a Forever type candle. You could also do a hurricane by pouring in layers.

I certainly would not be making a '''''burnable'''''' candle. I'm all for cremation but I don't want to be burned a 2nd time!!

I agree that this is not a candle to be burned. It is a memory type candle and would hold only a small amount of ash. In fact, I would even consider not putting a wick in it ( so someone does not light it by mistake - hate to come home and find out that visiting Aunt Sue had lit Mom while just trying to be helpful. lol)

I think the hurricane idea would be the most feasible or the one where the candle is made with the cremains but without a wick.

And Whisper Girl --- LOLOLOL I almost spit my tea onto my keyboard :laugh2: And the sad thing is, I could see that accidentally happening with my family!

I agree that this is not a candle to be burned. It is a memory type candle and would hold only a small amount of ash. In fact, I would even consider not putting a wick in it ( so someone does not light it by mistake - hate to come home and find out that visiting Aunt Sue had lit Mom while just trying to be helpful. lol)

Ok, so no wick. Yeah, I can see mom and dad looking down asking why they ended up in the trash after the final burn. Probably not a problem if it was the in-laws but this person wants her parents in the candle. She started out by saying that it was an odd question if I could make such a candle and part of me thinks it is not odd at all. She likes candles, sometimes those scary religious ones at the dollar store. So I thought maybe there could be a therapeutic / religious comfort if it was done right.

I hadn't thought about the hurricane, good idea. I want to be reverent of course.

I'm thinking about a pillar with a glass insert at the top that is designed to hold either a tealight or a taper (I have a bunch of those).

She started out by saying that it was an odd question if I could make such a candle and part of me thinks it is not odd at all.

I don't think it's necessarily an odd question - but as I mentioned, cremains are NOT an attractive substance. The particle size ranges from dust to up to 1/2". Sometimes people ask for things that they do not realize how the end product will look... If you want to test, use wood ashes out of respect.

First of all, yuck.

Second, a lot of pillar holders are tall, chunky, very ornate items. Examples:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/vintage-mercury-pillar-candle-holders/

http://www.amazon.com/Wilco-Imports-Wooden-Pillar-Candle/dp/B004LQ1KRQ/ref=sr_1_19?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1326633922&sr=1-19

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/elizabeth-marshall-31-50-11848-amber-swirl-candleholder-167035.htm

If you could house the ashes in a vase type of bottom, then a candle can be used on top. I love some of the vases at Michael's and Hobby Lobby that you make floral arrangements in, but never before now considered putting a candle on top.

I don't think it's necessarily an odd question - but as I mentioned, cremains are NOT an attractive substance. The particle size ranges from dust to up to 1/2". Sometimes people ask for things that they do not realize how the end product will look... If you want to test, use wood ashes out of respect.

The only remains that I've seen were from my beloved doggie & cat and they consisted of more than just ashes --- there were bone fragments. If human remains are the same, then I don't want any part of looking at bone fragments from Granny. Anyone who does want to see Granny's ashes & bone fragments needs more than a candle - they need professional help to deal with their loss.......JMHO

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

The only remains that I've seen were from my beloved doggie & cat and they consisted of more than just ashes --- there were bone fragments. If human remains are the same, then I don't want any part of looking at bone fragments from Granny. Anyone who does want to see Granny's ashes & bone fragments needs more than a candle - they need professional help to deal with their loss.......JMHO

The only remains that I've seen were from my beloved doggie & cat and they consisted of more than just ashes --- there were bone fragments. If human remains are the same, then I don't want any part of looking at bone fragments

Yep, they are the same, which is why I think it would be best to steer the client in a different direction... The reality may be far from the picture in the client's mind. I think the idea of a nice receptacle of some sort with a candle holder on top or to the side would be far more tasteful. Maybe a nice box of some sort with votives to either side or something...

what would Granny think if she knew here ashes were put into a candle?? My Granny would come back from the dead and kick my ass

Exackery! Not to mention the "ick" factor to a visitor to one's home when they ask "what's that in the candle?" *faint*

There are many ways to accomplish this type of project that are respectful and tasteful. No reason to do something that is macabre or horrifying to visitors to one's home. The idea is to create a repository for the cremains without them being exposed to view.