Cremains Candle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a curious question, I just have to ask. So those who are cremated or want to be, do they believe in the great resurrection? Do they think cremation is a way to avoid the great resurrection? Just wondering... while were on this topic.

I wish to be cremated because I don't want the worms to crawl in, the worms to crawl out, and the worms to play pinochle on my snout.

My soul is not part of my earthly body, so resurrection isn't part of my decision.

My husband and I will both be cremated, in my pottery class I have made a pot with a lid that our ashes will both be put in, then the pot can be glazed and so sealed when it is glaze fired. The kids can keep us, or bury us, it will be up to them.
One word of caution: keep abreast of your community's laws concerning how one is allowed to be buried. When I was considering this issue several years back, a friend (Kentucky) made me aware that in some areas, one has to jump through hoops. Her great aunt/uncle had gone on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the far east and chosen some wonderful ginger jars into which their cremains were to be buried when their time came. For decades, they preserved these jars. When they died (within days of one another as sometimes happens with old couples), their children set about making the arrangements and hit a wall. In their community, interment in those treasured ginger jars was prohibited and they were not allowed to follow their parents lifelong wishes. This caused much needless suffering.

I was relieved to find that the laws where the arrangements for my loved one were made were not narrow and we were able to make a non-conventional choice for our non-conventional ancestor. Had it been where I reside, things would have been disappointingly different.

So, to make a log story short - be SURE your wishes do not conflict with the current laws concerning death & burial issues where the last services will be handled. This can vary on a county-to-county basis, so assume nothing and keep up-to-date with any changes to the law in the area where your mortal remains will be handled. A call to a family attorney every now and then will save a lot of heartbreak. HTH :-)