Average batch size - SURVEY

I have asked this question before - last year sometime, but I can't seem to find the old posts. So please indulge my survey one more time...

I am doing some research on candle trends - some of the information that would be helpful to me would be to know more about the typical batch size of candle makers. I am evaluating the feasibility of different packaging sizes to better line up with typical usage.

If you are willing to share, I am interested in the following:

1. Average batch size

2. Average number of fragrances on hand at any one time

3. What is your typical fragrance oil purchase quantity - per oil?

4. What is your typical order quantity for wax?

5. What is your typical order quantity for glass?

6. How long to do you keep wax (assuming you don't change) before you no longer use it?

7. What do you consider the shelf life of fragrance oil?

8. Is the shelf life of FO a factor in determining the quantity of oil you purchase?

thank you in advance for your cooperation...I am curious to see how similar/or not the results turn out to be.

Brad

1. Average batch size

9 lbs.

30+

1 lb.

1-2 cases

4-6 cases

6. How long to do you keep wax (assuming you don't change) before you no longer use it?

I have never discarded any wax. I use it.

1 year in cool, dark storage.

8. Is the shelf life of FO a factor in determining the quantity of oil you purchase?

Yes.

1. Average batch size

4 pounds

5 pounds

10 cases

full pallet=1200

always use it up, takes anywhere from a week to 2 months

a year under the right conditions

yes

I do reduce the amount of wax i keep on hand in the summer just due to the extreme heat here in Texas. Doesn't hurt the wax itself but I just don't like to handle it myself. Gets everywhere.

1. Average batch size 3 lbs

2. Average number of fragrances on hand at any one time 30

. What is your typical fragrance oil purchase quantity - per oil? 1 lb

4. What is your typical order quantity for wax? 2 cases

5. What is your typical order quantity for glass? 2 cases

6. How long to do you keep wax (assuming you don't change) before you no longer use it? depends always use it up takes 1-4 months

7. What do you consider the shelf life of fragrance oil? year

8. Is the shelf life of FO a factor in determining the quantity of oil you purchase? yep

Although I only do wickless the only thing that would change considering my glass purchase is lower than my clamshell purchase :

1. Average batch size

wickless containers : 20lbs melts avg 2lb batches usually up to 40 different FOs( I normally use up a whole case for various products each time I work)

150-200 at any given time

1 lb

1 or 2 cases

2 cases

Never had a case sit for longer than 2 weeks

1.5 years in right conditions if bought new. If I buy something of the classifieds I use it withing 5 months or less

I differ on this than the other posters. 1. I dont know how long an FO has been sitting in a warehouse from ANY company. I've been in various suppliers warehouses and I've seen 5 or 6 50 gallon drums of one particular oil. I have no idea how long that has been sitting there. Case in point. My best seller in one product ( tp cakes) is Lemon Bunt Cake from BCN. It is on closeout and has been for I believe right at 3 years ago is when I bought my first of it. To them, (and Flicker if you see this and Im wrong, please correct me ) ... a closeout is an oil that they are no longer able to or going to get from that particular supplier. It's essentially the last of the lot. I know I ordered a ton of this around 3 years ago, and have gotten more as late as this past fall ( about 3 months ago ). It is still as awesome as it was, same color, consistancy and throwing power. Has this been sitting in their warehouse 3 years ? If what I read is right, yes. Have I let it deter me from buying more ? No and I need to order up a ton of it before it does disappear.

That was a very long winded way of saying (I guess ) No.. I dont think about the longevity of an FO when I purchase it. If I dont need or wont use but 1 to 8 oz in a period of time, I wont buy a pound of it and have it sitting there. To me , since I have limited working space now as opposed to before, its not worth the space it takes up, to have a lb bottle sitting there half full that I used 3 months ago and still don't need to use right then.

1. Average batch size

16oz

30-35

1 lb

50 lbs

11 cases of 12 (132)

always

When HT has changed or lessened

No

1. Average batch size - 15 pounds (three scents x 5 pounds each); sometimes only 5 pound batches (one scent) when I have limited time

2. Average number of fragrances on hand at any one time - 50

3. What is your typical fragrance oil purchase quantity - per oil? either one pound or 5 pounds, depending on the scent.

4. What is your typical order quantity for wax? 3 cases

5. What is your typical order quantity for glass? 30 - 50 cases

6. How long to do you keep wax (assuming you don't change) before you no longer use it? I always use it

7. What do you consider the shelf life of fragrance oil? they say a year but I've never had one go bad so IDK

8. Is the shelf life of FO a factor in determining the quantity of oil you purchase? Not really shelf life as much as expense. I only get what I think I will be able to use in a year.

1. average batch size - 5 pounds

2. avg no. of frag oh at any one time - 100+

3. what is your typical frg purch quantity - per oil? - 25 pounds

4. what is your typical order quantity for wax? - one pallet

5. what is your typical order quantity for glass? - one pallet

6. how long do you keep wax before you no longer use it? don't know always use it

7. what do you consider the shelf life of frag oil? depends on the oil. but in general I would say a year. we try to use them up prior to a year

8. is the shelf life of FO a factor in determining the quantity of oil you purchase? no, never. sales are the only determining factor

1. Average batch size: 4 lbs.

2. Average # of fragrance on hand: 60+

3. Typical fragrance purchase quantity: 1-5 pounds

4. Typical quantity wax purchase: 1 pallet

5. Typical quantity jars purchase: 1-2 pallets

6. How long to keep wax: Always use it

7. Shelf life of FO: About 1 year, some longer if stored correctly

8. Shelf life a factor in determining quantity of oil purchased: No, only order what I know will sell

1. Average batch size -50 lb melting 4 lb batches

2. Average number of fragrances on hand at any one time 50-75

3. What is your typical fragrance oil purchase quantity - per oil? 1 lb

4. What is your typical order quantity for wax? 11 cases

5. What is your typical order quantity for glass? 1 pallet

6. How long to do you keep wax (assuming you don't change) before you no longer use it? I've never had wax in the shop for more than two weeks.

7. What do you consider the shelf life of fragrance oil? Probably about a year but I don't keep it around

8. Is the shelf life of FO a factor in determining the quantity of oil you purchase? absolutely.

Edited by 001

1. Average batch size DEPENDS 4#-25#

2. Average number of fragrances on hand at any one time 75-100 HAVENT COUNTED

3. What is your typical fragrance oil purchase quantity - per oil? 25-50#

4. What is your typical order quantity for wax? 2 PALLETS

5. What is your typical order quantity for glass? DONT USE GLASS

6. How long to do you keep wax (assuming you don't change) before you no longer use it? UNTIL IT GETS DIRTY

7. What do you consider the shelf life of fragrance oil? DEPENDS ON FRAGRANCE 1 YEAR MIN

8. Is the shelf life of FO a factor in determining the quantity of oil you purchase? MAINLY FOR SEASONAL SCENTS

1. Average batch size: 3 lbs*

2. Average # of fragrance on hand: 150+

3. Typical fragrance purchase quantity: 1 pound

4. Typical quantity wax purchase: 12 cases

5. Typical quantity jars purchase: 150 cases

6. How long to keep wax: Always use it

7. Shelf life of FO: Like someone else said, I've never had any go bad so I don't know

8. Shelf life a factor in determining quantity of oil purchased: No, since I haven't had any problems with it.

*I'm not sure what you mean by "batch size." I interpreted it as the amount of each scent I pour at a time. Most of the time, I pour about 9 fragrances in a session--all my pouring table will hold. Unlike a lot of you, this isn't my full-time job, so I usually just pour one table-full per night after work.

1. Average batch size

-3 lbs

-50 plus

-1 lb

-1-3 cases depending on how many jars vs. melts I make (my melts are a blend of 2 different waxes aside from my jars)

-4 cases

-forever- never not used it

-not really sure- I have samples that are 2 1/2 years old and still smell fine OOB- so unless it smells funky I would use them so I guess saying that, I try to buy what I will use fairly quickly BUT I am a FO addict and have many to choose from that could be anywhere from 1 month to almost 3 years old.

no at this point I have not thought about it all- I never have looked for that information when purchasing an FO- I guess I just assumed they all would last at LEAST a year

1. Average batch size - 12-13 lbs

2. Average number of fragrances on hand at any one time - not sure/maybe 50-100

3. What is your typical fragrance oil purchase quantity - per oil? - 1-2 lbs

4. What is your typical order quantity for wax? - 1-5 cases

5. What is your typical order quantity for glass? - 1-2 dozen

6. How long to do you keep wax (assuming you don't change) before you no longer use it? -always use it all up

7. What do you consider the shelf life of fragrance oil? - 1 year+

8. Is the shelf life of FO a factor in determining the quantity of oil you purchase? -no

1. Avg batch size: approx 32lbs wax, I pour 74oz batches by scent always

2. Avg number fragrance on hand - approx 90

3. Typical frag oil purchase qty 5-10# per scent

4. Typical wax order - 10 cases

5. Typical glass order - pallet

6. How long keep wax - no idea, a month maybe 2 in the summer

7. Shelf life of frag oil - 1-2yrs

8. Shelf life a factor in qty of oil you purchase - no

1. Average batch size - 9 lbs

2. Average number of fragrances on hand at any one time - approx 100

3. What is your typical fragrance oil purchase quantity - per oil? - 1 - 2 lb / scent

4. What is your typical order quantity for wax? - 4 - 10 cases

5. What is your typical order quantity for glass? - 4 - 10 cases

6. How long to do you keep wax (assuming you don't change) before you no longer use it? - have never had it around long enough to consider

7. What do you consider the shelf life of fragrance oil? - 1 - 2 years (cool dark storage)

8. Is the shelf life of FO a factor in determining the quantity of oil you purchase? - no