My latest candle - thoughts?

Okay, so here is my latest candle. It's in a 12oz Libbey Cube that I found at the Dollar Tree yesterday. I had been looking at these cubes for a while online, but for a lot more, plus shipping.

Anyhow, GB 464, 8.5% FO (Tangerine Dream from LS) and a Wick It Premier 790 (thought I'd try these samples out). The jar is 3 inches from side to side, but about 4 inches from corner to corner. The first picture is just over an hour in, and the second is about 2 hours in. I noticed after the first hour that it was burning a little off, so I moved the wick and now it looks more even to me. I just made these yesterday afternoon, and I'm burning them already because I mainly just wanted to test the wick. Oddly enough, I can smell the FO a little bit, though it smells a little more like a burnt orange, lol. After this first burn, I'm going to wait a few days before I burn it again, so I can get a better idea of the HT.

post-13987-139458487081_thumb.jpg

post-13987-139458487088_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your responses. I just measured the bottom inside, and from side to side, it goes down to about 2 1/2 inches, where the top is just over 3 inches. Inside bottom from corner to corner is about 3 1/2 inches. 3 hours in and the melt pool is pretty much exactly the same as it was at 2 hours, so it's starting to tunnel. I bought a few of these jars and really like them, so maybe I won't wait a couple days to finish my test burns, lol. I'm going to let this go for about another 30-45 minutes, then blow it out and relight it either this evening or tomorrow morning. Hopefully it'll catch up enough. :-) Thanks again!

Square containers are hard to wick, been there, but they are so nice. A little hangup in the corners my be unavoidable at the beginning. See what happens in the last half of the burn, 464 is pretty soft and you might get surprised and the sides will clean up. I have found myself over-wicking to compensate with the first half of the burn and then regretting it for the second half. Looks good so far, test to the bitter end and then judge.

I love these jars too!I was so excited to see them at the Dollar Tree and picked up a few to try myself.(I love how thick they are) I did get a good complete top to bottom burn with a peony fragrance in this jar but can't remember right now what type and size wick I used.(I'll have to get my notes out sometime to check) I remember the ht was awesome tho!I remember having quite a bit of hangup until the second 1/2 of the jar but a good power burn cleaned it right up! I have also put a wood wick in this jar with success as well.I was using straight advanced at the time.Anywho,good luck with your testing,I think your burn looks pretty good so far =-)

Edited by CandleMakinCutiePie
my kid typed in some jibberish,lol

I use these containers as well, and LOVE them! I decided on them a few years ago thinking they were kind of unique, and am seeing them everywhere now, LOL! I have very little hang (also use 464, but no dyes), just the milky residue on the sides--depending on how long they're burned, some people end up with a little in the corners (if they don't allow a full melt pool to form). I burn 'em for hours, so there's never any wax left behind for me. They are pretty warm toward the end, but still comfortable to the touch. As mentioned above, the second half of the burn will take care of most any wax hanging around in the corners.

2 CDN-8's

My prediction is TORCH. There's really no reason to double with that container even if it is square - there are large single wicks that will handle the burn just fine. You can't tell much of anything on the first several burns of a large diameter candle, other than whether it's got a decent HT.

I can't believe how perfectly its burning compared to the IGI 4627

Not much comparison between soy & paraffin waxes...

I make both soy (464) and paraffin (4630) and from what I read it seems that new folks (or new to the wax) tend to overwick. When the proper wick is used both soy and paraffin burn very well. I could set up a side by side burn and there would be little noticeable difference.

Okay, here we are at the very end of the third burn, burning around 3 1/2 hours each burn. I'm still hopeful that the sides will clean up a little better towards the end. Not sure how well you can tell in the picture, but the MP is literally right there at the edge, underneath the overhang, due to the top being slightly wider, so I'm thinking that as it continues to burn, it will have a full MP and mostly clean up the sides. Very hopeful for that, anyway.

post-13987-139458487135_thumb.jpg

I see I should have written how very excited I was to have a candle burning that wasn't flickering/flaming/mushrooming/drowning on the first light. Was writing about the joy of seeing a great burn! Thanks EccoLights I'll accept the good luck wishes even if they are for JillsThings. Sorry for the hi-jack!

That's the way some of my early testers burned, when I was using LX wicks--leaving a kind of shelf around the top and burning underneath. I use CD's now, which work much better, at least with the GB464.

Yeah, I was testing the Wick It Premier 700 series, but I think I like the burn from the Eco's I normally use. Haven't tried the CD's as of yet. Maybe I'll get a sampler pack on my next order.

Was writing about the joy of seeing a great burn!

I am not sure you ARE seeing one. I think you may be seeing what you THINK looks like a great burn, but as the candle burns down into the container, 2 CDN 8s are going to become VERY HOT. That is the point people expressing concern about your wicking were trying to make.

I just purchased the same cubes from the Dollar Tree yesterday. I would love to use the but I have two questions about them:

1. Do you wick for the bottom or the top?
  2. I was told that Libbey doesn't make tops for these so, what do you use to cover the top?

I just purchased the same cubes from the Dollar Tree yesterday. I would love to use the but I have two questions about them:

1. Do you wick for the bottom or the top?
  2. I was told that Libbey doesn't make tops for these so, what do you use to cover the top?

Definitely the bottom. If you wick for the top on these by the time they get to the bottom they get red hot.

I've cut acetate dust covers for them.

Beautiful candle Jill...I've always loved that jar but I never bought just for the reasoning behind that it will tunnel if not burned properly in the right amount of hours. We all know how to burn a candle and know that it will catch up in the end but I've seen too many candles from customers who come in with them and show me how tunneled they are by the way they burn them. When I tell them how to burn a candle, then they all will remark,,,,,,oh wow....ok, now I see.....but the average customer won't burn them properly and to me putting out a nice candle and having it burn properly all the way to the end is what I aim for...maybe I'm too finicky, but thats my way of thinking....Keep us posted how the end turn out comes to be.....nice looking candle.....

Trappeur

These are the only jars I use, and I put instructions on how to burn them on as many places as I can--the packaging, the brochure, the website...if I could put a recording or video with each candle, I'd do it! It's frustrating when people light them up for 30 minutes, blow them out, over & over....and wonder why they get a tunnel. Oh well, I guess our job is to educate them, however s-l-o-w-l-y. Good luck!

I think 2 CD 7s would be too hot.

I wicked a square container like this before... it may have been the next size up though of this square... i used ecosoya 135, peaks amber vanilla 2 CD-7's and it worked perfect...

I was told by one of the wick companies that soy doesn't really burn well past a 3" diameter.

I was told by one of the wick companies that soy doesn't really burn well past a 3" diameter.

That has not been my experience. I regularly single wick soy wax candles over 3-4" and I find them to burn quite well when properly wicked, same as any other candle. Maybe the wick company you spoke with doesn't like to have to stock larger wick sizes...

I just tested a CD 18 in a 16 oz tin with a 4" diameter. While it left a little hangup the first couple of burns, it eventually caught up with itself. I tried a CD 20 at first, but it had too large of a melt pool the first burn for my liking, so I scrapped that one. So yeah, as long as you find a big enough wick, soy can definitely burn past 3" diameter. :-)