• 2 weeks later...

Ooooh, ooohh, pick me Mr. Cotter, pick me! Oooh, ooh!

I am mostly a paraffin guy, so I'll not speculate about soy, but here's my observations:

EO's - I really like real lavender.

Bulgarian Lavender - affordable at snowdrift farm. Some camphor in it but pretty low amounts. Best cost to purity ratio. English lavender is the lowest in camphor but through the roof on price. I use Bulgarian a lot in my candles.

Spike Lavender - very affordable, but slightly more camphor than bulgarian.

Lavandin - also affordable. Different plant species, but smells like lavender.

FO's - way cheaper, but fake.

Lavender Silk from candlewic is delightful. Not a true lavender at all, but a nice hint of lavender with a floral note to it. I enjoyed it and made a few tarts, etc. Might not re-order, but it is fun.

Lavender from General Wax - strong and reasonably true to smell. Very much like a real lavender EO.

Sage/Lavender from General Wax - the girlfriend likes this one, but I prefer clary sage EO and lavender EO, but this is good and a nice mix.

True Lavender from thecandlesource.com. I haven't used this yet, just got it in, but OOB seems very much like Bulgarian Lavender EO and maybe just a tad more true than the general wax one.

I have a couple other lavenders here I think but I can't find them right now (too many FO's).

If I were to not use a real lavender EO, but an FO, then I think it is just between generalwax and thecandlesource.

Edited by EricofAZ

My favorite will always be Tassi Lavender from Southern Soapers. I can't think of the name of the company that took over for them, but MMS duped it and it's a wonderful lavender.

There is no other, imo. I wouldn't fool around with any other. Southern Soapers' Tassi is the best, hands down, bar none!

http://www.firstchoicefragranceoils.com/

Sadly, my favorite Lavender was Tradewinds Lavender Flowers. I have yet to find a replacement one as wonderful as theirs was. So for the time being I am using CS Lavender. Customers like it and it sells very well. its a great lavender that works well in M&P soap, lotions, soy, paraffin, and palm wax candles. Lately I have been mixing it 50/50 with CS Lilac and customers are loving this combo.

I wish I had tried the Tassi Lavender from Southern Soapers but never got around to it. Nice to know MMS duped it. Must try it sometime.

Edited by Candybee

The Tassi Lavender sounds very good. Do you think it is worth trying for those that use it in soy? It had an excellent soy rating on the page. I'm assuming they don't have sample sizes. I didn't see a place for those. I am looking for a realistic lavender from the one I'm using now. I like CS Lavender but if the Tassi Lavender is better I'd try that one too.

True Lavender at TCS is a good one that really sticks in cp soap.

That may be. I'm not a soaper so I know squat. I do know that sitting on my shelves next to SS Tassi, it will never sell. It doesn't even smell like lavender to me, or apparently to my customers. I need to melt it down, throw something else in with some more wax, and call it something totally different.

Candybee, the link I posted above has Southern Soapers genuine not duped Tassi Lavender. It's worth the price.

For a softer, less stringent lavender, KY's Lavender Vanilla is wonderful.

Add: And if you're looking for a soft aromatherapy kind of lavender, BnL (BC) Lavender Basil is extremely nice.

Edited by SliverOfWax

I've been using Bramble Berry's Lavender FO in my 464 candles. The customers like it, but generally they like my Lavender EO candles even better. The Lavender FO has been a good economical option for those who don't want to pay the higher price for my Lavender EO candles.

I've been using Bramble Berry's Lavender FO in my 464 candles. The customers like it, but generally they like my Lavender EO candles even better. The Lavender FO has been a good economical option for those who don't want to pay the higher price for my Lavender EO candles.

Where do you get your lavender EO? I've gotten a bunch of FO's to play around with but would eventually like to do more with EO's although I'm not sure where to get them. Also, what's the percentage you would use in soy? Thanks!

Where do you get your lavender EO? I've gotten a bunch of FO's to play around with but would eventually like to do more with EO's although I'm not sure where to get them. Also, what's the percentage you would use in soy? Thanks!
I get my Lavender EO from my local candle supplier here in Australia. According to their description, it is Lavendula officinalis, and based on its price, I'm guessing it is a 40/42, but I'm waiting to hear back from them for more info. I'd suggest starting with 4% and work around that. Edited by jonsie