Looking for opinions on soap molds for CP soap

Wessex

Howdy All,

Looking to play around with CP soaping and have been doing alot of researching and googling on soap molds. I am hoping to get input on small log molds (3 pounds or so) and sheet molds (9 bar) from different suppliers. Looking for the wooden molds that include a liner, as I do not want to line the molds each time. Any input would be welcomed. Also, if anyone had one of these molds for sale, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Steve

just wanted to quickly point out that you dont have to line with paper, you can line with plastic.. I use small plastic garbage bags in my wooden molds, cut in half- works like a charm and only takes seconds. My husband made the molds for me.. they are about 10 years old now and still working like champs. I've never even considered buying a lined mold because the bags are just so easy! anyways its a cheaper way to get started :)

Have fun with whatever molds you end up with!!

I have Brambleberry's birch molds. They are slab molds with dividers. I love that I get consistent bar sizes - no cutting. I could never get anything cut right. Lining molds is a piece of cake with either plastic or freezer paper.

Susan

Hi! I was just going to start a thread on this also! I am also ready to invtest in a few good molds and want to see what people think of the ones they use..

I have been playing around with soaping for a while now. At first I use cardboard boxes and I do have one wooden mold sheet mold - 9 bar. lumious i tried the plastic bag trick but i can never get all the wrinkles from the plastic. I kind of like them (the wrinkles) and will continue to use my wooden mold but I want to invest in a nice log mold that would have a liner or not need a liner. Anyone really happy with what they have???

I have a 9 bar Kelsei that has made a bajillion batches of soap and it doesn't require a liner and makes uniform bars. I have a log mold made from a wooden box that contained a toy car. It has a lid and I lined it with craft foam from wally world. The craft foam sticks onto the insides and so far has held up quite well without needing to re-line it. Craft foam is very cheap too. I suppose my next mold will be an Upland but would love a Soap Hutch (big monies). I don't think you can beat Upland with those silicone liners for ease and for cost. You will need a cutter and if you go for the tank, that will cost you a few hundred. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

I use woodfields molds. They are wooden, and have a silicone liner. They are very user friendly. The mold comes apart very easily, and the liner rinses out quickly when you take your soap out. They have sheet, log and slab molds. I usually receive my order within a week from him. I have two slab molds and one sheet mold from them.

I have a bunch of molds. I have a kelsei but I only use it for salt bars because it makes really small bars

I have a woodfield log mold, my first CP mold, and I love it. If you get one, get a lid.

I have another mold that I used to just love with slots cut in the sides for cutting, I can't remember the brand but I don't think they make them anymore.

I have two molds that my neighbor made me that are slab molds, they also have the cuts in the sides for cutting.

I have a couple of double log molds that I bought from Ric on the dish. They are my current favorites. They come with thin liners made out of that stuff they use for overhead projectors at school.

I also have some 1/2 round molds that I like for mans soap. It makes a larger bar and is better suited to man hands.

Most of my molds need to be lined. I make a template out of cardboard that I keep in the mold. When I need to make a liner, I put the template over the freezer paper, trace around it and fold up the sides.

Search craftserver for eugenia's mold lining tutorial, it will show you a fast and easy way to line your wood molds.

Steve, I'm a noob to soaping myself, but I am not a noob when it comes to casting with other media. I discovered years ago that there's a lot to learn about each different medium, so until I get that part under my belt, I don't invest a lot in molds until I have a better idea of what I am doing and where I want to go with it. Another reason I haven't purchased nor made any molds yet is because there are so many "found" molds out there for me to use during my learning process. I am planning soon to make a few log molds and match them (size wise) with a homemade cutter & bar shaper/trimmer, but until then, I have been using many different commonly found objects for molds while I learn about soaping, formulas and other cool stuff. Suitable molds are EVERYWHERE!! Here's some of the ones I currently use:

Crystal Light beverage powder containers

Pringles Cans (the liner wrinkles and blisters during gel)

Glass & plastic loaf pans (DEFINITELY line these)

Square & rectangular glass baking pans (DEFINITELY line these, too)

Sara Lee Mini-Eclair & cream puff boxes (rigid plastic - holds 64 oz.)

Deli hard plastic oval molds (not the thin clear stuff) commonly used for potato salad, etc. These make 2-3 nice bath-sized oval bars, depending on their depth.

Some of these have straight sides (mini-eclair containers) but others have slanted sides (glass loaf pans). I trim the slanted ends square and use the trimmed heel pieces as samples. Wrinkled bottoms and sides also become thinner sample bars. The Crystal Light containers make a perfect guest-sized oval bar and work best if one cuts the bottom off, retapes with duct tape so that you can remove the bottom later and push the soap out of the mold. PVC sewer pipe makes a great mold as does PVC gutter downspouts. These need some lubrication for easiest demolding. Freezing them before demolding helps a lot, too. I've used Crisco (tends to saponify with the other fats), spray silicon (works OK), plastic sheeting (el cheapo painters' drop "cloth" material - like dry cleaner bags), cloroplast (like signmakers use), freezer & parchment papers, saran wrap, etc. All of these work and all have their drawbacks, so while in the testing and learning phase, you can try lots of these materials to find which ones work best for you. When looking at "found" molds, remember that soap heats up a LOT during the gel phase, so use sturdy plastic materials that can take the heat. If something will warp in the bottom rack of the dishwasher or in the microwave, chances are, it's not gonna hold up to soap very well.

HTH

Edited by Stella1952

Here is eugenia's freezer paper liner tutorial.

I do mine similar to this but I don't cut the corners like she does.

Also, like I said before, I cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the bottom of my mold. I place the cardboard over the freezer paper and draw around it. Then I fold at the lines, fold the corners similar to what eugenia does and it's done. I tape it into the mold. It takes about 1-2 minutes. It's quick and cheap and can even be re-used.

Thanks everyone for their input. I think I am going to use some repurposed items for my initial soapmaking. Hopefully I will be a ble to move on to some wood molds (that I will make myself) soon. I have found some cheap wood cutlery holders (the drawer kind) that should work. Will line with freezer paper to start. Will also use some of ya'lls suggestions, some are pretty good. Now I have to see if I can make room in all my candle supplies to store a few soaping supplies...maybe I can just replace my bed with more shelving, LOL.

Thanks,

Steve

Could you post when you receive your mold? I've heard various things about their customer service.

I sent them an email today because my order is "Queued". it is a tuesday after a long weekend. I will give them a day to reply. I was hoping to get them this week, but if they haven't even shipped them yet I don't think that will happen.

I still am trying to decide on a mold. Definately will be a repurposed item from around the house for now. Would like to get a mold from Brambleberry or some such place, but just cannot justify the cost of something I could build so easily (if I get off my ass and cut some boards LOL). Have oils coming from CF, colorants from TKB and a trip to Walmart today to pick up all the misc. crap I did not have around the house. Can't wait to dive in!!! Oh, and Lowes had the 100% lye, but it was expensive!

Cheers,

Steve

I have both the double log and a 9 bar slab mold from woodfields. Love them both. Here is the link.

http://www.woodfieldswood.com/

His prices have gone up though since I ordered mine. They are great molds though...love not having to line molds.

I have a Tog Mold...converts to a slab or 2 logs...that I may part with. The mold is a pain in the ass leaker for me

but if you have the time and ingenuity...you may be able to tinker with it to get it to work without leaking. Not even

sure what I would ask for it...it's barely used. If you are interested in working out a deal...pm me :)

I have a Tog Mold...converts to a slab or 2 logs...that I may part with. The mold is a pain in the ass leaker for me

)

you are not alone.

Word is that Upland is in the process of either selling itself or going out of business altogether. Hope that's wrong and that you get your mold soon.

Starr -- thanks for the tip on the mold. I ordered from MrDoRight because I need a decent mold.

Upland never got back to me. I have sent 3 emails. Now I have to make sure they cancel my order :( too bad their molds looked nice.