"Extreme" hippie pillars

Tracy68

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Scented. not sure if I'm on the same page with you or not but regardless you've given me another idea that just came to mind to try.

Thanks everyone for having a look and your comments. Appreciate it!

Not sure if we're on the same page either, but ... you could also try using chunks to keep your embeds in place ... OR you could design a mold that would allow for your embed size and then glue those into place so to speak. There is a sticky wax out there that some use as glue so to speak ... gluing wax that is. It might be worth a try.

Thanks again everyone!

Scented, I have as yet to experiment further as I did my back in (must have been all those darn funky chunkies that did it!) I don't have a problem with getting wax to stick to the sides of the molds - heat gunning them in place 'seems" to do the trick (so far) it's getting that circle inside circles shape that is the issue but I'm sure it can be solved. When I stop hobbling I'll get around to figuring something out :)

I decided to go all out and create some super vivid colourful pillars.

Kind of remind me of tie dye.

I'm getting bored to be honest. I think I've tried just about every technique with palm pillars and I can't seem to come up with anything really different (that I like) except playing with the tilted layers and trying different colour combinations.

About all I can do from here is try different mold shapes.

Hippypillarssmall.jpg

Hi, Tracy68.

Wow. Your hippie candles are amazing. How did you do them? Would you be willing to put up a tutorial or do you have candlemaking classes, or could you recommend a candle book that teaches the technique. Also, what is that layer technique called? I started making candles last year as a way to get over my depression. My Mom passed away from Brain Cancer and I was her caregiver. I've found that making colorful candles helps me deal with my grief and keeps me busy(I've been out of work for two years to take care of her) and would like to attempt to make theses:)

Hi, there is really no secret to making these.

There is a tutorial already on the site on how to do tilted layered candles (not my tutorial) and in this one they are using paraffin wax (I believe) however the principal is exactly the same for palm wax.

I do not measure the temperature as I go about pouring the layers so all I can tell you is that you pour as the layers begin to crystallize over on the surface -enough for the subsequent layer to not completely meld with the previous layer.

It's all just a matter of a lot of time and getting the right colour combinations.

Here is the basic principal on how to pour tilted layered candles.

http://www.candletech.com/techniques-and-ideas/tilted-layer-candles/

With the hippy pillars it doesn't matter if any wax splashes on the side of the mold as you are aiming for a messier type of look.

I tilt them in all directions for a better effect .

Edited by Tracy68

• 6 months later...

As soon as I can save up 85.00 for you to ship me 3 red hippie candles from Austraila I'm ordering them! You and Richard are definitely the king and queen of these to die for candles! If you ever come to the states, don't forget my email address Traci....cause I'll place my order with you.....

Trappeur

Have you considered entering these in the contest Peak is holding? I think you would win. They are gorgeous.....nothing like I've ever seen before.

I agree - mine won't "hold a candle" to what's up there - but I would "like" these for sure!!