"Extreme" hippie pillars

Tracy68

I decided to go all out and create some super vivid colourful pillars.

Kind of remind me of tie dye.

I'm getting bored to be honest. I think I've tried just about every technique with palm pillars and I can't seem to come up with anything really different (that I like) except playing with the tilted layers and trying different colour combinations.

About all I can do from here is try different mold shapes.

Hippypillarssmall.jpg

Edited by Tracy68

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone. Glad you like them. Richard thought they were a bit TOO 'out there" but I think they will sell.

I wonder why yours didn't work out Nancy? Do you think it was the wax itself or maybe did the colour combo's not turn out as expected? I had some wax a while ago that seemed to shrink back way more than usual so I got a lot more spill than usual but ultimately they were ok once I got used to the wax.

These pillars have become the bane of my life, lol.

I mean, I love making them because you CAN be creative but now that some shops are ordering them I hate HAVING to make them because they are so time consuming.

I tried making some plain feathering palm pillars and they were just ignored by customers. No interest at all really.

What I would LIKE to try and make with my square pillar molds is a candle with three complimentary coloured circles (roughly circle shapes)- one inside the other, on each face of the square candle with an over pour of a solid colour to complete it.

I would have to somehow make the tri coloured circle shape first, then with the heat gun melt it onto each side of the mold and then pour the overpour colour WITHOUT those circles coming unstuck from the sides.

Am I mad? Do you get what I mean?

A bit like those candles that have the slice of agate stuck in the side, but I want the effect to be done with wax somehow.

Palm wax......which makes it even harder to do.

It CAN be done I'm sure but I'm just not sure how to go about making the tri coloured circle bit. It would have to be done from a mold, which we can make, but I just don't know how.

The three colours of the circle all have to be level so they can be stuck to the side of the mold and melted on.

Any suggestions?

Can you tell I am creatively frustrated? lol!

Oh now why did you have to go and post those pics???

Now I'm gonna drive myself nuts trying to duplicate them and in the end never get close!!

BUT really, those are very fabulous!

I never buy candles and I would buy them!

Really why? Now we need a tutorial. I love them they are so pretty.

Gorgeous job. I think I get what you're trying to achieve. What about a solid piece of wax in the center to anchor the circles in there? You'd have to get a good sized chunk or a core candle in there and still be able to pour around. Does that make sense?

Thanks Scented. not sure if I'm on the same page with you or not but regardless you've given me another idea that just came to mind to try.

Thanks everyone for having a look and your comments. Appreciate it!

Edited by Tracy68