what is going on at WSP

TeriM

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noodle... I'm don't live by a supplier either... I'm in Minnesota and my two largest suppliers are in Colorado and Iowa... so I'm gonna stop and pick supplies up on my vacation,,, since I'll be in both those states then.

I did have a supplier years back for wax.. but they went out of biz... whaaa :(( Shipping is a pain....

Is getting a discount by picking up supplies rather than having them shipped normal? I pick up from several suppliers and none of them give me a discount for doing so. I look at it as I'm saving money by picking it up and not having to pay shipping. It would seem their costs are the same whether they ship to you or you pick it up.

Disregard my last post I just saw the post mparadise made yesterday explaining the reason for the discount.

It makes sense that they'd offer the discount given they've rolled the shipping charges into the price but to now charge everyone the same price does seem odd. Why pay for shipping if you're picking it up? Seems you're getting dinged twice, her shipping charges and now your gas cost for picking it up.

Glad I don't order from there.

I just did mock carts at WSP and the Chemistry store.

My totals with shipping:

WSP Ultra White soap 24 lb block - $57.48

Chemistry Store Crystal White 25 lb block - $53.20 (plus I get an extra lb of soap)

I am closer to WSP. The above cost is not much of a

difference. However, the difference is a lot when I add in citric acid- which I purchase OFTEN. The difference in cost between the two companies comes out to $11.00. For me, WSP just

costs more when you buy more.

Noodle...is the crystal white 25lb block a white white? I don't like creamy colored base..if so, I might give it a try. There's only two things I buy from WSP their soap base and their clamshell dyes. A clamshell dye lasts me at least 6 months...because my business has been closed I still have 6 clamshells of their Cardinal Red which of course comes out pink. Has anyone here tried making their own clamshell dyes? It's just clear glycerin with food dye,pour into a clamshell and just shave off whatever you need to get the right shade that you need.

Okay, just did my own comparison 100lbs from the chemistry store w/ shipping came to $211.57 and 96lbs from WSP comes to $229.92..... Soooooo if some here who uses this crystal white soap base will lmk that this is a pure white base I'm going to buy the 100lbs from the chemistry store..Last night I ordered 96lbs from WSP...and $18.00 differential will buy me colorants and that sounds pretty good to me. TIA

It makes sense that they'd offer the discount given they've rolled the shipping charges into the price but to now charge everyone the same price does seem odd. Why pay for shipping if you're picking it up? Seems you're getting dinged twice, her shipping charges and now your gas cost for picking it up.

Glad I don't order from there.

Maybe because they are trying to convince everyone that it is FREE shipping? They really think we're stupid...just like saying that the higher prices with that FREE shipping would save us money. It wasn't the case with a single order that I compared. And implying that we couldn't manage to calculate our costs correctly if they charged separate shipping.

Then, there's the price increases at the first of the year, followed by a notice a few weeks later that prices were going up, but they were generously going to absorb a portion for us, and they raised prices. Now here we are a few more weeks later, and some items have increased still more.

When I first started checking pricing yesterday, I thought "great, price changes were in my favor!" Then I checked the rest of the items I still buy there and nope...for every item that decreased in price, another had an increase.

I'm starting to think of them as the Walmart of suppliers...and that's NOT a good thing!

If I remember correctly the Chemistry Store carries the Stephenson's base. That is what I used before switching to the WSP Pro base and what I will be switching back to if this craziness keeps up. I did like that one but switched based on price and it being so close to the performance of the WSP base. If I remember correctly it was a bright white. You could always order a tray or two of the 2lb blocks to play with and see if you like it before buying a ton.

AnnMarie, since you are in NY you may also want to check New Directions Aromatics. They carry the same base @ $40 per block before shipping and their distribution center is in NY so with shipping might still be less. I am not sure if they offer pick up or not but it might be worth asking if they are close.

The Chemeistry store base is pure white. I substituted this soap for the WSP ultra white and my customers have not noticed a thing. If they have noticed, it has not affected my sales at all.

Thanks noodle, I'm going to order 100 lbs from The Chemistry Store. Since my soft reopening of my business did fairly well I'm going to fully reopen. Just from subbing I have more orders than I expected...all new customers and hoping word of mouth will ripple into doing more local business. I also got orders from a totally unexpected source. I swear freebies will get you orders, Jay's health insurance company changed, as a result instead of 30 ambien a month the new company allows only 14...so I'm not supposed to sleep for 17 days out of the month but in February I can sleep for 1/2 the month...my doctors office straightened it out so I dropped off 2 candles..instead of taking them home the staff lit them and patients started asking about them. Jay dropped off my business cards and my doctor said just bring in a basket of soaps and candles...I did and they all sold~~ for once my fibromyalgia paid off.....lol. I'm hoping this 196lbs I'm ordering will be sold off by summer...I don't pour in the summer because shipping, heat and travel sometimes causes my soaps to sweat but maybe with some local business I should go thru most of this soap....next off to order wax can't wait to see what that's going to cost me.

It is the Stephenson's base which is why I tried it. It does not sweat for me. I also love the Chemistry Store's clear base and it is vanilla stable too. I cannot log into their site right now and I don't know why.

Edited by Noodle

I used to have issues with the Stephenson's base sweating (even the low sweat base) when I wrapped in saran wrap. I havent' had an issue since I started shrinkwrapping them.

I have the 18" shrink system that I just noticed they sell at the Chemistry Store. I LOVE it! The system isn't cheap but IMO it paid for itself quickly in time saved wrapping and being able to use it to wrap other items too. I have the perforated poly wrap right now for the soap but I think I am going back to the PVC for the next roll because it is better for my gift basket wrapping. That way I only have to have 1 roll in stock. I buy mine directly from National Shrinkwrap. They seem to have more wrap options available if you order direct.

Ya know... I saw the WSP first and knew where this was going right away..... so here I am to put my 2 cents in =)

I agree with everyone that the constant changing of price/policy is just to much... and now a minimum for pickups?? apparently we inconvenience them so much by picking up that they had to make us buy more??? And now not shipping discount either??? What a joke!!!

The past 4 times I have ordered from WSP, and trust me its only 2 items we get from her, due to them being the only local supplier... UGH! But 4 out of 4 times, called, placed the order, they took my CC # and charged it... to only call me back hours later saying they don't have them in stock.... 4 times this has happened in the past 3 months and I am done!!! Pardon my french here ladies and gents but WSP can kiss my a$$!!!!!!!!!! Ill pay twice as much as I can with them to NOT deal with their rudeness, lack of customer service and constant unpredictability!

Ok, time for a smoke break LOL =) xoxo

I used to have issues with the Stephenson's base sweating (even the low sweat base) when I wrapped in saran wrap. I havent' had an issue since I started shrinkwrapping them.

I don't have sweating issues at all with this base and I wrap in plastic wrap. I don't know if your humidity is different though.

WOW! I unsubscribed from WSP months and months ago. I had no idea that their prices went up so much and that pick up orders had become such a production. EccoLights, I don't blame you for feeling that way at all!

Edited by Noodle

Okay, just did my own comparison 100lbs from the chemistry store w/ shipping came to $211.57 and 96lbs from WSP comes to $229.92..... Soooooo if some here who uses this crystal white soap base will lmk that this is a pure white base I'm going to buy the 100lbs from the chemistry store..Last night I ordered 96lbs from WSP...and $18.00 differential will buy me colorants and that sounds pretty good to me. TIA

Course, the WSP price could change, up or down, dramatically and frequently.

Even in cases where it is equivalent or even cheaper to shop there, I just cannot deal with the frequent fluctuations in pricing and policies. Doesn't make good business sense for me to purchase there.

I was VERY upset to find out that they no longer gave the 25% discount, as I was planning on picking my $600 order and that would have obviously saved me a lot of money :( However, I found it is still way cheaper to buy there than anywhere else, I don't understand the problem most people have with their prices? 50 pounds of wax for me is $87 at WSP compared to $150 at Lonestar :shocked2:

here's my problem - last time I bought wax it was $79 as I pick it up - now it's going to cost me $102 to ship or pick up - that is so out of wack I can't tell you.

and with the real time pricing .. who knows what you pay from day to day.

I for one won't give them another dime - I'll pay more for consistancy.

I was VERY upset to find out that they no longer gave the 25% discount, as I was planning on picking my $600 order and that would have obviously saved me a lot of money :( However, I found it is still way cheaper to buy there than anywhere else, I don't understand the problem most people have with their prices? 50 pounds of wax for me is $87 at WSP compared to $150 at Lonestar :shocked2:

However, I found it is still way cheaper to buy there than anywhere else, I don't understand the problem most people have with their prices? 50 pounds of wax for me is $87 at WSP compared to $150 at Lonestar :shocked2:

The problem from my understanding of everyone's posts is that they are pi$$ed to be paying for shipping when they are close enough to pick it up. I agree with them why should they have to pay for shipping if they are not having it shipped??? That makes no sense at all. From the suppliers that I have dealt with (that I could pick up from) they did not charge me extra nor did they add in shipping charges to the cost and make me pay for it when I picked it up. The biggest bonus in having a supplier close enough to pick up from is to avoid the added expense of shipping charges (which makes our costs in our products less). For Teri to now have to pay for shipping when she will not be having it shipped (an added expense of 23.00 just on the one box of wax) makes a huge difference to us. Alot of us stock up when we pick up so say she got 12 boxes of wax that's $276 extra she's having to spend that she shouldn't have to since she's picking it up. And where is that $276 going... right is WSP's pocket. Think of all the other supplies $276 could have bought. It's one thing to charge a minimal processing fee for filling the order, but, damn this is CRAZY!!Every bit we can save on supplies helps our bottom line and helps our customers by saving them money. I've never before seen a supplier who charged for shipping when it was picked up. It's freaking ridiculous and they I think are going to lose ALOT of business b/c of it. And then there's the real time pricing. Who can keep up with their costs in supplies if it's constantly going up and down. I know I don't have the time to calculate my costs every single day on the same supplies from the same supplier. Consistency I think is key and apparently that's something this supplier is severly lacking.

You know I just thought of something I wonder how they calculated the shipping into their items since we are all over the place. I'm in KY just a state down so I'm paying the same price for shipping as someone clear across the country??? As we all know shipping rates vary. The closer you are to the supplier the lower the shipping usually but more expensive the further you are from them.

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

I have been staying out of this discussion since I do not do business with WSP and will never do business with them because of their ignorant business model. But I just have to chime in! Even if I could get something cheaper from them I would not do it. Their business practice is just plain wrong IMO. How they can basically cheat some customers is pathetic! Maybe a customer living across the country can get a decent deal, but at the expense of closer customers. And what is up with the real-time pricing? This company just needs to revamp the very stupid way they do business or just go away! Hope they know they are driving themselves out of business. OK, rant over :smiley2:.

Cheers,

Steve

For WSP to charge you shipping when you pick it up is theft, plain and simple. No business will succeed when dishonest measures are taken to increase their bottom line. Why a business wouldn't be costumer friendly is beyond me! Why shoot yourself in the leg? That's exactly what they're doing.

Okay, so I'm a newbie and probably don't know my rear from a hole in the ground, but I'm trying to swallow this "real time" price change. And I'm kind of comparing it to oil. And it kind of totally pisses me off. Because here is how I look at it..... XXX bought 50 gallons of such and such at 3.00 a gallon. Now it is in stock and a good 3 month supply. So next week, they see that prices for it have gone up to say 5.00, so they go back and raise the price to their customers reflecting the 5.00 increase, but yet they got that same stuff for 3.00. Maybe I've got the wrong business thought, but I hate that. I know it is probably common practice, but don't do it obviously in my face. That ticks me off.