what is going on at WSP

TeriM

did you guys get the email - is she trying to put herself out of business.

I get a lot from them as I can pick it up and save on shipping - but now it seems there is a minimum order - you no longer get the 25% off for pick up and the prices are insane.

I really don't want to have to text wax but it looks like I'm headed that way....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I did and her constant roller coaster of changes in pricing structures are starting to make me dizzy :shocked2:. Now it's a $30.00 minimum instead of $15.00 and they'll match the price of a product if you find it for less, but first you have to fill out the online form. It seems that by trying to make sense of their pricing structure, they're only complicating matters even more, but to each his own. Just my opinion.

Although I do like some of their products,but I don't really buy from them anymore....just some surplus items here and there.

Good thing there are plenty of good suppliers out there to choose from.

I was thinking the same thing. They used to be my "go to" for all things B&B but I don't buy much from them anymore because I just can't deal with the uncertainty of pricing/policies. I was only getting my soap and my bottle tops from them but I just found the exact same tops elsewhere (shiny silver) for a little less $ as long as I buy in bulk (not a problem since I only use 2 sizes) so now I am just down to soap base and I have a good stock of it for now so I am in no rush, plus I am working on a CP soap recipe with the hopes of switching over most of my soaps to that anyway for the long term. I feel really bad for those of you who used to pick up to get the discount. Now it makes no sense. WTH?? It's not like they are the only supplier in the game.

I unsubscribed from WSP emails months ago, so I do not know what the latest uproar is. I agree that from reading comments on this board that WSP is a roller coaster in the way of price. It is a pain in the neck, but there are other suppliers. It was easy to have most things in one spot, but I have adjusted and do not think about it anymmore.

I don't order from WSP but it seems they are raising prices, just like everyone else is. It doesnt' surprise me that they would remove a 25% discount for pickup.... orders still need to be picked in the warehouse, bill of ladings made, boxed or bagged.. etc. On a $60 box of wax,, that computes to $15.00.. and unless you can pick up wax free from somewhere else it costs much more than $15,.00 to ship wax from another supplier.

In checking the prices of WSP and 3 other suppliers I've purchased lotion bottles and caps from in the past... the WSP people are right in line,, actually they're less than 2 of the other suppliers... and just over in price $4.00 of the other,,, then factor in the free shipping.. at that rate,, they are the cheapest of all 4 suppliers.... I might have to check them out for future bulk orders. Hmmm...

Hopefully this supplier will settle on exactly what their pricing is,, before they send out any further emails to clients......it sort of puts everything and everyone in a spin if they continually change....

I got it too, but I'm still trying to make sense of the da## thing! :confused: So is the free shipping thing still on? If they aren't going to discount the pickup , I think they are doing themselves a great disservice. I don't know about you ladies & gents, but almost every time I would pick up an order, I would be placing another order! I would walk through and find things that I liked or sniff a fragrance & fall in love with it and end up placing another order on the spot. I think their pickup orders will dwindle drastically and so would any type of extra revenue from add-on orders. It just doesn't seem to make good business sense to me. Glad I have started looking into other suppliers for some of my needs! :tiptoe:

I don't have the luxury of being that close to a supplier...am a bit jealous...but, I know costs are shooting up all over the place & I have to re-evaluate how I do things....just have to figure perhaps different options. Still love WSP's oils.... bummer about the changes, but I understand why they are doing it.

I got the email as well. Yes the free shipping is still going on. I just went on the site for a minute and looked at the surplus stuff. The linen and room freshener base was 74.31 for a gallon on surplus... :shocked2:. I don't know what it was before but damn that's expensive!! The only thing that I thought was a plus was that the prices are in real time meaning if their costs go down the cost we pay automatically goes down instead of waiting for them to decide to lower the prices, atleast that was my understanding of it anyway. But getting rid of the 25% discount for pick ups is ridiculous. The whole point in picking up orders from a supplier is to eliminate the shipping costs which makes our costs lower. Yes they tell you they have free shipping but actually the cost of shipping is included in the price so really if you pick up your order you're still paying for shipping in the cost of the product. So why on earth would you pick it up unless you want to sniff things or do your homework finding other suppliers to make them match the price. I'm sure their price match will include whatever the shipping costs would be from the other supplier so really you might not be getting it matched for price. Just doesn't make alot of sense to me :confused:

In checking the prices of WSP and 3 other suppliers I've purchased lotion bottles and caps from in the past... the WSP people are right in line,, actually they're less than 2 of the other suppliers... and just over in price $4.00 of the other,,, then factor in the free shipping.. at that rate,, they are the cheapest of all 4 suppliers.... I might have to check them out for future bulk orders. Hmmm...

I am not one of the lucky ones. I live relatively close to them, not close enough to pick up though. I now order many of my supplies from the Chemistry Store and save roughly $11 on the exact same items with shipping factored in. $11.00 per order sure adds up.

Ya, they "wrapped" the shipping charges into the product prices the last time they needed to raise prices so they offered the 25% off for their pickup customers because they weren't shipping them. So now without the discount they are paying the exact same price as the customers that are shipping the products but still having to pay the fuel costs to get there. I get that they need to raise prices and appreciate the fact that their prices are going to be based on what they are actually paying but the shipping thing just doesn't make ANY sense to me. It's like they are shooting themselves in the foot. I just don't get how this could be a good thing for their business?!?!?!

I still was getting the soap base because with the shipping included it ended up being a dollar or two cheaper than I could find it elsewhere and I prefer the Probase to others I have tried. We'll see how it works out when I am closer to needing more...

Edited by mparadise

I got the email as well. Yes the free shipping is still going on.
No such thing as free shipping - they've simply rolled their shipping costs into the product price.

NOTHING from any supplier is free, by the way - all costs are (or should be) calculated into product pricing. Samples cost money, packing material costs money, electricity, printer cartridges, and air conditioning cost money.

These aren't charities, so they need to recoup ALL expenses and have profit on top. Ain't nothing' free.

I just bought 96lbs of melt & pour soap there 10 minutes ago and forgot to uncheck the charitable donation...I bought the 24 lb blocks..I believe I paid something like $57.48 per 24 lb blocks...Free shipping...I haven't ordered base in at least a year. I've tried other companies base but I like wsp's ultra white the best...I have to go thru the desktop emails to see how long the free shipping is for...I've been out of the loop for so long it didn't seem high to me...with free shipping I might as well order another 48 lbs. I haven't checked other places but is the price I paid that steep?

I just bought 96lbs of melt & pour soap there 10 minutes ago and forgot to uncheck the charitable donation...I bought the 24 lb blocks..I believe I paid something like $57.48 per 24 lb blocks...Free shipping...I haven't ordered base in at least a year. I've tried other companies base but I like wsp's ultra white the best...I have to go thru the desktop emails to see how long the free shipping is for...I've been out of the loop for so long it didn't seem high to me...with free shipping I might as well order another 48 lbs. I haven't checked other places but is the price I paid that steep?

sounds like a good deal to me..

As far as them changing prices..I thought it was ok at first since you could go thru and each day the pricing is changing to my understanding..Just as a live market or ups and downs of a stock market.So some days will be up and the next day it may be very cheap.

Some items were $2.04 for 2 ozs.and so on..and that included the shipping.So thats a pretty good deal.Some may not be so much..but next day may be better..I think her intentions were to save us money this time.But dont like that she raised the minimum to $30.00.and no discount for pick ups either.So its kind of like giveth and taketh away.

I don't understand either what they are doing..first they combine shipping into the price of their item. Which for customers that live close that is not being very fair and now they are making a $30 minimum??

I think I will be looking for a different supplier. Just getting tired of their messing around with prices and shipping.

I do love their lotion base but now I see they put their price up on some of the gallons of lotion.

I saw someone mentioned the Chemistry Store...think I will be checking them out. This is ridiculous!! I have been buying from them for about 9 years and I almost sent them an email letting them know how I feel..maybe we all should..don't know if it would make a difference or not.

Just sad with the economy the way it is that they are taking advantage of their customers.

AnnMarie, the shipping is already in the price rather than it being a free shipping promo. Their soap base price is still fairly reasonable when you compare it with freight (which is why I was/am still ordering from them so far) but this is one of the few items that I was getting from them that was not effected when the freight was wrapped in because it has always been shipped as a separate box as long as I have been ordering the blocks.

The problem came in when I refigured the cost on an order of B&B items after they switched. It was bottle tops, preservatives, micas, liquid soap color, etc (lots of little stuff). Because the "included shipping" cost was charged like each item was shipped individually the order would have cost me $30-40 more the "new" way on a $200ish order.....sorry...NOT happening. I have plenty of things to do with that extra $.

Edited by mparadise

This is ridiculous!! I have been buying from them for about 9 years and I almost sent them an email letting them know how I feel..maybe we all should..don't know if it would make a difference or not.

Just sad with the economy the way it is that they are taking advantage of their customers.

I know I did when the shipping included pricing took effect. I also know more than a few of my soap/candle friends did too. I was told that this way should save me $ but when I gave them a specific order # (the $200+ order I mentioned above in my response to AnnMarie) and asked them to reprice it the "new" way and see what they found. They said they would look into it and get right back to me...NEVER heard from them again about the subject. I know the same thing happened to a good friend of mine. You can try emailing but I wouldn't expect it to make a big difference.

If you are looking for lotion base I have had good luck with the bases from Bittercreek and Essentials by Catalina. Both have reasonable prices and great quality bases.

Edited by mparadise

I just did mock carts at WSP and the Chemistry store.

My totals with shipping:

WSP Ultra White soap 24 lb block - $57.48

Chemistry Store Crystal White 25 lb block - $53.20 (plus I get an extra lb of soap)

I am closer to WSP. The above cost is not much of a difference. However, the difference is a lot when I add in citric acid- which I purchase OFTEN. The difference in cost between the two companies comes out to $11.00. For me, WSP just costs more when you buy more.

Edited by Noodle

Some of the wax I was considering is actually a little cheaper to get from WSP in bulk, compared to other suppliers & granted I have to have everything shipped. I did notice other items are triple what they were...but about 1/2 the stuff I'd get from them is cheaper.

I just think it's so unfair for me to pay the same price as someone who is having items shipped when I'm not.

Last time I got wax it was about $76.00 when I picked it up - now I'm going to pay $102.00 and pick it up.. no way.

I for one won't be buying anymore... it's enough trying to find a supplier that you can get a lot of what you need from. I don't know about any of you but with the prices changing on a daily basis - I don't have time to adjust my price.

Didn't get the WSP e-mail yet but I got the Jar Store's e-mail...well they are already too expensive for me so that takes care of that.

I use to get all my fo from WSP but over the years their prices have become ridiculous and I started buying elsewhere. I think JS is also going the same route.

I can understand that suppliers have costs and that they are probably not selling as much as they used to and have to make up for that but so do we.

Plus let's face it in this great economy many people are not going to pay $20.00 for a candle when they can get one for $5.00 in a retail store.

Yes, I know the quality is different but many people just don't have the money.

Each of us will probably find different savings/increases depending on the items you use.

With gas prices taking the hike they did this week.. and more gas increases to come... I know I'll be checking into new suppliers and comparing with my old suppliers to get the best pricing.

I'm not planning on purchasing different wax, lotion or soap bases, then go through more testings etc,,, because that indeed would cause more headache and cost. I've poured the same soy wax and used the same dyes for 10 years,,, just ain't gonna happen LOL!!

I'm planning a trip to Denver, to see my son, mid July. I'll have my Peaks list in hand to bring back my soap base and FO's ... on the way through Iowa I plan to stop at my wax supplier to pick up all the cases of wax I usually pour during holiday season. Between my soap base.. and wax.. it will save me tons on shipping costs,,, picking up things on my vacation travels from suppliers that are close to or right in those areas.

Edited by SherriLynn