Silky Suds

16 oz. baking soda

4 oz. citric acid

8 oz. sodium lauryl sulfoacetate (SLSA)

7 oz. sea salt

3.5 oz. dry non-fat milk

fragrance oil (25 drops, more or less)

skin safe colorant, if desired

1. Place baking soda, fo and colorant in a gallon ziplock bag and zip shut. Make sure you squeeze the air out of the bag first. Knead the bag as if you were kneading bread dough. This will help to work in the fo and colorant. You may need to keep adding colorant until you reach the desired shade. Colorant is tricky...you don't want to add too much so add a drop at a time. You can always add more. Remember that you will be diluting the color so to speak when you add the rest of the ingredients.

2. Once you've reached your desired color, add the citric acid and SLSA. Again, knead the bag.

3. Add your sea salt and dry milk. Again, knead the bag.

Add 3 tbsp. to bath.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made this last night and used it in my bath this morning...and oh my...it was the most decadent bath ever! I had so many bubbles and it was so nice and silky.

I used buttermilk powder (because it's what I had on hand...but it did lend a bit of a smell I didn't like) and I used fine DSS - I don't like sitting on salt crunchies. I also used fragrance at 3% which is a lot more than the recommended 25 drops!

Jen

Jen, even tho you used FO you could still smell the buttermilk? I had my mom get me 10 lbs of it because it was so cheap where she lives (she's bringing it down next week when she comes to visit). I didn't realize it had a smell to it.

It did to me...I guess I wouldn't say it was bad...I could just pick it out...does that make sense? I only made a 4oz batch so I'm going to try again with other milk powders. I would think each would have their own unique scent... Who knows - you may really like the scent!

Jen

Bunny got me wondering to the point of even going back and checking my SLSA container to make sure of the name. Still wasn't entirely convinced so I went as far as to call The Chemistry Store where I purchased it, and they say it's SLSA. Guess I didn't pummel and knead enough. Next batch I'll really give it whatfor :) . The poof doesn't bother me, but wouldn't want anyone else getting a nose full.

Remember to wear saftey googles and a mask when working with SLSa
I had not heard of doing that. :eek:

I actually made a milk bath tonight which came out great and it had almost all that the silky suds recipe has minus the salt. I had this recipe in my pm's at the old site so I'm glad you posted this again. :)

Those who are getting the "poof", are you sure you're not working with SLS, and SLSa doesn't poof that I've seen.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacate - that's what my package says... and it's a very fine/freeflowing powder that poofs when you open the bag, and the package says to use eye protection and mask when using...

Is this not the right stuff?

If there is something else out there that does the same thing but with no POOF, lemme know so I can buy that instead. :)