Carmen's (EB Candles) Silky Suds

wildangel112

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried this today! It's AWESOME!

My only concern is that mine was very powdery, it poofs up in the air when I open the container and with all that SLSa, it might get into someone's nose!

But the bubbles were nice! It was silky and wonderful on the skin!

I like this recipe too. BUT I have the same problem so for now till I figure out the problem I'm not selling it which I really wanted a bubble bath and this works GREAT! I got mine (5 lbs) from the Chemistry Store and its the SLSa or so the description said. As I put in the tub the powder gets into my nose and its horrible for 1/2 hr after this. I thought it was my imagination after reading this awhile ago but my son tried it and the same thing. He walked into the bathroom after I had put it in the tub and he said his nose bothered him (is he a reliable source he's 5 -that is going on 15? :D .)

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that when Carmen posted this on the other board, she said she was pleased to share the recipe, but that she didn't want anyone using the "Silky Suds" name. Even though she isn't selling this right now, she may want to do so in the future, so I think we should respect that. It is a great recipe!:smiley2:

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that when Carmen posted this on the other board, she said she was pleased to share the recipe, but that she didn't want anyone using the "Silky Suds" name. Even though she isn't selling this right now, she may want to do so in the future, so I think we should respect that. It is a great recipe!:smiley2:

I'm confused :confused: (which can happen easily) :grin2: should we not sell it period or should we not sell it using the name "Silky Suds" as I DEFINATELY DO NOT want to disrespect anyone especially after they were kind enough to share their recipe. I'm going to research on the old board to see if I can figure this one out.

sounds like if you are going to use the name "silky suds" then you owe her some credit... I don't know if she would be willing to let one rename it I would like to know too. I just made some for a friend not sure I would sell it as a regular product though since stuff like that doesn't sell well around here Hopefully Carmen will chime and give us an answer

I don't think anyone who is kind enough to share a recipe minds others making it; otherwise, why post it. I just think she meant to use another name for the product other than "Silky Suds". At least that's the way I took it.

Gotya :wink2:. I wasn't going to use the same name, don't think I mentioned that. That's where I think I was confused as I didn't mention using the name just that I wasn't going to sell till I figured it out. I felt bad because I thought you were saying I wasn't supposed to sell it whatever the name maybe. Thanks for the clarification :smiley2:.

I'm editing this as I'm brain dead, Carol I just read the orginal comment you wrote and I thought you were directing it to me I'm SORRY about that (can I blame it on the heat?). As I reread it I could tell you were making a general statement.

• 8 months later...
This one is truly awesome!!!

Silky Suds

16 oz. baking soda

4 oz. citric acid

8 oz. sodium lauryl sulfoacetate (SLSA)

7 oz. sea salt

3.5 oz. dry non-fat milk

fragrance oil (25 drops, more or less)

skin safe colorant, if desired

1. Place baking soda, fo and colorant in a gallon ziplock bag and zip shut. Make sure you squeeze the air out of the bag first. Knead the bag as if you were kneading bread dough. This will help to work in the fo and colorant. You may need to keep adding colorant until you reach the desired shade. Colorant is tricky...you don't want to add too much so add a drop at a time. You can always add more. Remember that you will be diluting the color so to speak when you add the rest of the ingredients.

2. Once you've reached your desired color, add the citric acid and SLSA. Again, knead the bag.

3. Add your sea salt and dry milk. Again, knead the bag.

Add 3 tbsp. to bath.

I've been wanting to try this recipe for quite awhile now, and finally have everything I need to do it. I have a question though...Is there any reason why I can't mix up ALL of the ingredients and add my FO once it's all mixed? I'm wanting to just have this made up as a base and then scent it according to customer request when they order (after testing each of the scents I plan to offer it in of course)I won't be using colorant at all. Can I do that or should I just break up the recipe and follow the instructions verbatim each time someone orders it?

The citric acid is the problem, it reacts to liquids. You could make the mixture up ahead of time and leave the CA out until after you add the fo.

Another thing you could do is mix everything but the FOas your "base". You can add the FO to dendritic salt, then add that mixture to the "base" that you made ahead of time. HTH :wink2:

• 4 months later...

I started with this recipe and love it but tweaked it to make it my own. I dropped the citric acid from the list of ingredients because imo - it's not necessary here as there's nothing that it needs to "break apart" so to speak. Also - citric acid can cause a headache with packaging and it's just one less thing to remember.

Jen

it was not the citric acid that got me it was the SLSA, it made me sneeze and gave me a runny nose for hours, LOL. Guess next time its the mask for sure.

That's funny! What I meant is...I like to package my bubbling milk bath in the silver lined pouches and the pouch can react with the citric acid and expand and eventually blow-out! So no citric acid - no having to worry about exploding milk bath!

Jen

I'm kind of confused, Carol. The citric acid in regular bath bombs (and milk baths without slsa) do make fizzes in your water. Citric acid in bubbling bath bombs help the bath bombs break apart in the water but you don't noticed fizzing with the mounds of bubbles coming from the bubbling bath bomb. Bubbling milk bath also produces mounds of bubbles so again - yuu don't notice the fizzing of the citric acid. That's been my experience at least. I've even used bubbling bath bombs that do not have citric acid so take a little more work to break apart but eventually they do so again - citric acid not really necessary. I dunno...I've made plenty of recipes of all things mentioned above and tested, tested, tested (as I love baths and take one at least once a day)...that's just been my experience though.

Jen