M&P Recipes

Candybee

@Candybee-- is there another ingredient I can sub for castor oil? I have all others except for that one.

Castor oil add lots of creaminess to your lather; helps harden the bar; and adds emolliency. I never soap without!

The good news is you can run down to your local Walmart or Drug Store and pick up a bottle. Get going!! LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd try it out on a sample soap first before doing a large batch. Melt down 4 oz of base and add 1-2 tsp of the shower gel and blend. Then pour into a test mold and let it harden. Then simply try it out and see if you like it. If it works I assume you are trying to see if it produces more lather, bubbles?

Thanks Candybee. Yes, I like lots of lather/bubbles. I have a few lbs of Crafters Choice Shea base and some extra clear sitting around. I also have a little bit of honey base from c&s. I'm a total newb when it comes to any kind of soap. I just play around with MP every now and then to give myself a break from candles and was checking out all these really nice recipes.

I have no luck with shower gel, gets real thin after using the FO so I was just wondering if it would be sort of the same as liquid soap in mp since I have that sitting around collecting dust. I baught it about a month ago and have no idea why lol

I'm going to try it out with a few oz base and see how it goes :)

Creamy Shea Butter Soap

1 lb white base

1 tsp castor oil

2-3 tsp shea butter

1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin

2-3 tsp fragrance oil (optional)

Melt your base then add the shea butter and stir until melted in base. Then add the castor oil, vegetable glycerin, and fragrance oil and blend thoroughly. Pour into your mold then let base cool completely before demolding.

Tips/Notes: Shea butter adds wonderful emolliency and moisturizing to any soap. The castor oil adds an additional element of moisturizing and wonder creaminess to your lather. The glycerin aides moisture retention for your skin. This is a very moisturizing bar of soap that is gentle enough for any skin type.

You can save time by adding the shea butter in before you start melting your base.

Quick question- if I were to make this soap using a shea butter base instead of a white base, could I still add more shea butter to it, or would it be overkill and cause the soap to not harden?

Thank you Candybee for the great recipes. I have never done M & P soap but I am really excited to start learning. You are very generous to post recipes and offer your support! Thanks so much!!

leslee....Get ready for the addiction :) I hadn't done any M&P either until I saw the thread. Now I won't ever be using commercial soaps again. It will be M&P or CP (when I get that far). So many great recipes to try. So far, I've only done one and love it but have lots of M&P coming from a Co-Op and am going to go down the list to try them all.

Jeanie:

I just got back on to this thread - I had to go to the store but could not wait to get back so I could log back on and read more recipes! Seems like I am already addicted and I haven't even started yet! Now I am ready to order some supplies!

Edited by leslee42

Jeanie:

I just got back on to this thread - I had to go to the store but could not wait to get back so I could log back on and read more recipes! Seems like I am already addicted and I haven't even started yet! Now I am ready to order some supplies!

I hear ya on that....took me awhile to get supplies together but am just about there now to go through the recipes. Am so darn excited :) Have fun ordering your supplies and then cooking up some soap. Not sure which is more fun.......

• 2 weeks later...

I answered your tea question in another thread but yes I add tea to my base sometimes. I have not had it discolor my base until it hardens and sets up for a couple of days. Then the tea color "bleeds" into the surrounding soap. I usually then remelt it to even out the color tone.

Your other question about adding Dr. Bronners liquid soap to your base. Yes you can add that to help with lather. I try to encourage people to get to know their base first and understand its pros and cons including how much in the way of additives they can throw in before it loses its lather. But with some bases any amount of additives will kill lather. So if you must add liquid soap. Some do it all the time so don't worry about it. Just try it out and see if you like it.

I'm really loving the Shea Butter MP base. I've tried C&S, Crafters Choice and BB's and have to say I'm really liking the C&S shea base the best. So smooth and creamy and lots of lather so I haven't even bothered to use the shower gel. Doesn't seem to need it.

I also got a 2 lb slab of the extra clear base from AH/RE(Stephensons) and really like that too. Scented it with CS Rain Water and it turned out great....super clear dyed with an aqua color.

I'm just playing around and getting to know these bases.....then going to move on to trying some of these great reciepes you have posted.

Thank you for taking the time to do all of this Candybee and everyone else that's posted all these recipes :)

I'm starting to feel this addiction and I'm starting to slack on my candles which I have to get back to for my spring/summer line or I'm gonna have some annoyed customers lol

Pretty sure they mean Candles & Supplies.

SOMEWHERE in the archives there is a post, that names many various suppliers, and gives the acronyms we use for them , but I dunno where it is. Im sure someone will pop up with the link

And yes yall ! I do "notice that" ...... we'll see shall we ? LOL

Edited by blacktieaffair

Quick question- if I were to make this soap using a shea butter base instead of a white base

I'm glad you asked this b/c I was wondering this myself this morning as I was reading this thread. I just got some shea M&P a couple of days ago and thought I couldn't use it in any of these recipes. Now I know I can. :yay:

Btw, thanks ksranch for posting the link to the abbreviations. I sure needed them this morning. :)

Edited by tlc

You can always add shea butter to any base. I generally buy basic white base and put all my additives in that. I never by shea butter base anymore because I make my own shea butter soap.

BTW-- the best lathering bases I have found are usually goat milk. Goat milk bases are worth the price. They are super mild, lathery, and extra conditioning. Or-- buy a white base and add fresh, canned, or powdered goat milk.

• 1 month later...