M&P Recipes

Candybee

• 3 weeks later...

I tried PA's recipe except I didn't have either of the butters. I tried some of the scraps from around the bowl and it was fantastic! I scented mine Yuzu which smells delish too! I can't wait to try a bar in the shower! Thanks for posting!!! Now if I could just make a "Pretty" bar!

In regards to PA's recipe, is there any reason why I couldn't make up that 2 pound recipe, pour it into a large mold to harden and then cut pieces off as I need them to make one bar at a time in different scents? Would it affect the fresh goat's milk causing it to turn sour heating it up again like that?

TIA!

Lorraine

In regards to PA's recipe, is there any reason why I couldn't make up that 2 pound recipe, pour it into a large mold to harden and then cut pieces off as I need them to make one bar at a time in different scents? Would it affect the fresh goat's milk causing it to turn sour heating it up again like that?

TIA!

Lorraine

are you talking about like making it a base?

I'm sure that would work fine since I have remelted soap that I didn't like how it turned out (didn't get mixed up good, forgot to spray out air bubbles or what not). Mine has always turned out fine, but mine isn't excatly like PA's since I adjusted it for my likings and base. Try a pound and give it a try. Worse case, it doesn't work and you wasted only the small portion you cut off. The rest could be left for unscented soap.

rebeccajo~ Thanks for the quick reply. I never thought about it as like making it a base, but I suppose it would be like making my own base. I wouldn't be following PA's recipe exactly because I don't have all of the oils and butters on hand (I wish I did! I will eventually order them!) but I'm anxious to try adding all of the goat's milk as I have never added goat's milk to mp soap, only to my handmilled cp soap. Was concerned about reheating it again with all that fresh goat's milk in it... I will follow your advise and make up a pound and give it a try! Thanks!

My Basic MP Soap Recipe

I will cut this down for the purpose of this thread because I tend to make BIG batches!

(I use all of these ingredients in every bar of my soap)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2lb white soap base (I use EBC, but you can use what you have)

1/2 cup fresh goat milk (you can use canned or powdered if you want)

4T liquid soap (unscented, undyed)

2T honey

2T shea butter

1T cocoa butter

1T olive oil

1 T jojoba oil

Fragrance oil (add as much or as little as you would for 2lb soap recipe)

I use a presto pot .. melt the base first and then add the other ingredients mixing well.

Produces skin loving bubbly bars of soap with super creamy lather!

Enjoy :cheesy2:

This is new to me so after much searching and couldn't find an answer I'll have to ask...what kind of liquid soap? Just from the store(any old liquid soap that's unscented/undyed) or do you buy it from your suppliers?:confused:

This is new to me so after much searching and couldn't find an answer I'll have to ask...what kind of liquid soap? Just from the store(any old liquid soap that's unscented/undyed) or do you buy it from your suppliers?:confused:

I've read that you can purchase the unscented/undyed liquid soap at health stores. I used a shower gel base for liquid soap in mine & it seemed to do ok as well.

I had the same question about the liquid soap in another thread and Tammy wote me to check with a health food store or one of our local (australian) suppliers.

I then did a search on ebay and found some on there as well. Pricing was pretty competitive, so that's where I ordered it from - just waiting on it to arrive :-)

So ebay USA may be a good place to check.... (maybe :-)

Edited by nadiap

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading this thread all day and it is absolutely amazing. I have my grocery list and I am ready to order the items I need to start making what looks to be amazing soap! Are we silly for getting so excited:yay:? So far at this point I have one silly question, I have found a couple of abbreviation list, but I can't find EBC. What does EBC stand for? I am sure as soon as you tell me I will realize I how silly I am, but at this point I am about to go crossed eyed and I can't figure it out.

I have been reading this thread all day and it is absolutely amazing. I have my grocery list and I am ready to order the items I need to start making what looks to be amazing soap! Are we silly for getting so excited:yay:? So far at this point I have one silly question, I have found a couple of abbreviation list, but I can't find EBC. What does EBC stand for? I am sure as soon as you tell me I will realize I how silly I am, but at this point I am about to go crossed eyed and I can't figure it out.

EBC is Essentials By Catalina

http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com :cheesy2:

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say that I have tried PA's recipe twice now with wonderful results. Used the canned goats milk and followed the recipe. The first time I used caribbean salsa scent and it turned out nicely The second batch, I used pink sugar fo from ICS, which, of course, turned the pink a little dark, but not much. I also added a little body glitter before pouring. I used individual molds for 4 oz bars and also some small guest-size rose-shaped molds. The soap turned out beautifully. Tested it in the shower last night and it lathered nicely and I felt squeaky-clean afterwards.

I will be trying Candybee's OMH and cranberry spice soaps next.

Thanks you guys--I love this stuff and I actually feel like I can experiment some, too.:yay:

P.S. Where can I get colorants for this that will make bright and vibrant colors (do I use pigments, colors, or micas)? Thanks again!!

P.S. Where can I get colorants for this that will make bright and vibrant colors (do I use pigments, colors, or micas)? Thanks again!!

Most soap suppliers will have soap colorants. I highly recommend TKB Trading at www.tkbtrading.com. They have soft colors, pastels, POP colors, vibrant colors, dark colors, powders, micas, liquid. I would get a sample pack of the liquid non-bleeding soap colors. They will last forever and you'll love them.

Most soap suppliers will have soap colorants. I highly recommend TKB Trading at www.tkbtrading.com. They have soft colors, pastels, POP colors, vibrant colors, dark colors, powders, micas, liquid. I would get a sample pack of the liquid non-bleeding soap colors. They will last forever and you'll love them.

Thanks again Candybee--going to their site now! Woo Hoo--another addiction!

• 6 months later...
Creamy Shea Butter Soap

1 lb white base

1 tsp castor oil

2-3 tsp shea butter

1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin

2-3 tsp fragrance oil (optional)

Melt your base then add the shea butter and stir until melted in base. Then add the castor oil, vegetable glycerin, and fragrance oil and blend thoroughly. Pour into your mold then let base cool completely before demolding.

Tips/Notes: Shea butter adds wonderful emolliency and moisturizing to any soap. The castor oil adds an additional element of moisturizing and wonder creaminess to your lather. The glycerin aides moisture retention for your skin. This is a very moisturizing bar of soap that is gentle enough for any skin type.

You can save time by adding the shea butter in before you start melting your base.

Great thread Candybee! I know this is old but I'm glad I found it. Should be a sticky (if thats what you call it). Now for my question. When using ingredients like shea butter, olive oil, honey, etc.. are these just the ones you buy in a regular store or do they have to be raw or organic or does it matter?

You can buy them from the store or any online soap supplier is usually better or even cheaper.

Ingredients like shea butter or honey that can be purchased raw are wonderful to use in any soap making. I buy honey locally from an apiary in the valley so its cleaned and filtered and very potent. I like it better than store bought honey. Plus local honey is better for you.

Raw shea butter has a distinctive odor and soft butter yellow color that you may not like in your soap but its still good to use and can be applied directly to your skin in its raw state. Its skin healing and moisturizing properties are amazing. But you don't need a lot in M&P. I wouldn't use more than 1-3 tsp (thats about 15g if you weigh it) per lb of base. If you don't like the smell buy it refined and deodorized. It comes out white after its been refined.

Thank you!:) My hubby asked if I can make soap for our household ( I only make candles) and I thought sure, why not! I plan to do the lemon soap first. Perfect thread for beginners. Thanks.

Edited by sbs

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am new here and just had to thank Candybee for these recipes! And PrairieGirl for the goat's milk recipe. I am astounded by the generosity. I was a bit frustrated with M&P because I never realized you could customize and add so much to it - I've read countless books and am on other forums and never saw much more than a bit of honey or botanical/spice additives.

I can't do CP because we have a very small living space right now and lots of pets underfoot plus nowhere to work with or store lye. Now I feel I can make something special with M&P. I am on other forums and most are very reticent to share recipes - I do understand that but I am so thankful for the willingness to share and help here. I have been on one forum for a while and have posted/participated many times but still not allowed to see the Recipe folder. Candybee your responses on many other threads also have been so helpful to me. I'm working my way back through the M&P forum! Thanks again so much! This info is invaluable and I hope someday to be sharing more and helping others as well!

Edited by ChinaMom

I am so glad I found this thread. I make CP soap and have never done anything with M&P until a few weeks ago I bought some clear to put some plastic bugs in as a novelty for kids.

I was making a small batch of CP soap and used a Dirt FO and colored it camoflauge. I mentioned on facebook how my house smells like dirt because of the soap. We I have presold 30 bars of "hunter's soap". I don't have time to make that much and it cure good enough so I decided I would make M&P. For some reason I had bought some "pearl and foam booster" from WSP. Can I use that in M&P? I really don't know why I bought it in the first place.

Thanks in advance for your advice

jackie

I don't have time to make that much and it cure good enough so I decided I would make M&P. For some reason I had bought some "pearl and foam booster" from WSP. Can I use that in M&P? I really don't know why I bought it in the first place.

Thanks in advance for your advice

jackie

I have the same pearl foam booster from WSP. Its not for use in M&P. At least thats what I read somewhere on WSP site so I never tried it. It works great in liquid soap, shampoos, and bubblebath. I got wonderful pearlized products. Can't say if it actually boosted foam as my liquid soaps and bubble bath were pretty bubbly to begin with.