M&P Recipes

Candybee

I'd try that except I can't chop it.. it's liquid with the butters and oils floating at the top... I think I might just call it a loss and toss it. :( This should teach me to try a recipe without ALL the ingredients.

And when it didn't thicken up before I did add more base.. didn't work. :(

Edited by kitchenfairy
adding info

Wow.....sorry to hear that.

Just to salvage you can soak up the oils and butters with a napkin or just pour off the top. Then remelt and add a little more base to what is left (obviously not to sell but for personal use). That way you won't waste the 2 lbs of base.

You wouldn't have needed stearic for my recipe. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with your base or some other ingredient that you used. I've never had a separation issue with oils and butters on the top ever.

And without hardening agents the bars are a little softer, but nothing liquidy. It still makes a nice bar of soap.. just might not last quite as long as when a hardener is used.

And without hardening agents the bars are a little softer, but nothing liquidy. It still makes a nice bar of soap.. just might not last quite as long as when a hardener is used.

So, if I want the bar to last longer, should I add stearic? If so, how much would you add?

I might try a batch with and one without to see which I like better.

Thanks Candy!! I have some down stairs that I ordered and then could not remember why in blazes I got it. I will give it a try and see what the difference is.

I also have beeswax prills and candlelillia wax. Would either of those work? Just asking since I ordered them for lip balms and then got frustrated with them and quit trying for a while.

Ok, no idea where my brain is but will someone give it back? I have no idea how I got stearic acid on my list for PA's recipe. What I had, I dumped out of the molds and put in a glass measuring cup and left on the counter because I was so frustrated! Good grief I should have been more patient because now it's all set up! :laugh2: I'm going to try melting it one more time, pouring and walking away! :tiptoe:

Next time I do so many silly things someone come up here and smack me. :P

You had me TOTALLY panicing!!!! :laugh2:I kept reading my recipe looking for stearic acid. :P

Ok, no idea where my brain is but will someone give it back? I have no idea how I got stearic acid on my list for PA's recipe. What I had, I dumped out of the molds and put in a glass measuring cup and left on the counter because I was so frustrated! Good grief I should have been more patient because now it's all set up! :laugh2: I'm going to try melting it one more time, pouring and walking away! :tiptoe:

Next time I do so many silly things someone come up here and smack me. :P

LOL Its hard to screw up M&P so don't ever panic. It can always be remelted to make something new! I had an idea that if you waited longer the soap would harden.

You can still add stearic to the soap if you want to make it harder. When I was using Catalina's bases I always added stearic at 1/2 tsp per lb. I love hard soaps as they last longer!

Sorry Candlemama! Pay no attention to the crazy woman whose hubby was gone last night for the first time in 10 months... I forgot what it was like to be alone! LOL

I promise to be more patient, less panicky, and to think, oh yeah and to read more carefully! One step at a time, one step at a time! :tiptoe:

I'd played with M&P straight but this was the first time adding a bunch to it and I was certain I'd been the first to create a huge disaster. :laugh2:

Off to get a hold of myself and try this again. Thanks everyone!

Edited by kitchenfairy
editing for a spelling/grammar error that my mom would kill me for!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to take the plunge. I have never made soap before but you all have inspried me. I am going to start off with Prairieannie's recipe but I am thinking of using the Tres Leches soap base from EBC. I ordered a sample of it and cut a piece off before doing anything with it and it is so creamy, suds beautifully and leaves my hands very soft with nothing added. How do you all think Prairieannie's recipe with work with this base? I ordered all the additives last night from OT. I live about an hour from TKB Trading so I am going to order some of their pop colors today. I will place an order with EBC later today but I just have to decide which base I am going to go with. My second soap is going to be Candybee's Oatmeal Milk and Honey. I got some nice molds from Mold Market so I will try them before I go with a loaf. I want to test different fragrances and colors. I want to thank all of you ladies for all your wealth of information. Even though I have only posted a couple of times I have learned so much from this forum. Hopefully I will have everthing to get started by Tuesday. Wish me luck:yay:

Sharon

The beauty of M&P is you can use any base you like for the recipes.

Just make sure its a white or opaque base for white soap and clear base for clear type soaps. The difference between a white base and a clear is the titanium dioxide added to make the base white.

SharonKay...good luck and have fun! I'm so addicted to adding stuff to m&p that I now have a hard time making my regular, although very pretty, geometric loaf shapes for my wholesale accounts. I have taken my goat milk soaps to sell but the vibrant colors of the plain m&p draws people to buy. I know I can use the goat milk version in this but I love the rustic look my Old Fashion mold from WSP creates for this particular soap.

Have fun and take good notes.

Karen

Hi Candybee and Karen,

Thanks for the information. Like I need another addiction, I am a Gemini so I go in many different directions, sometimes at the same time. The fragrance addiction is bad enough but now I can see soap base and colorant addiction coming my way.

I love the wonderful colors you can get from the clear base but can you put additives in the clear, I would think that would cloud it? Is the clear base moisturizing to your skin, I've never used that type of soap?

Sharon

I've never added anything to the clear although I am planning to do the Honey recipe in this thread here soon..it really sounds wonderful. Adding goat milk would cloud it but things like honey and olive oil would give it a beautiful clear-ish sort of color. I wouldn't try to color it but just let the honey or olive oil be the natural color. I'm planning on doing a honey layered bee mold soap where the honey colored "clear" soap base is the bottom (which would actually be the top when unmolded) and using an opaque as the top (bottom when unmolded) to match my fo.

Above all...have fun..and never apologize for mistakes...only you know it wasn't suppose to turn out that way! (That's why cooks like to be in the kitchen alone :laugh2:).

Karen

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question about the recipes. If I already have a goat milk base, can I still follow the recipes that have me adding the goat milk (like Prairie's) or should I omit the milk part? Could I substitue Almond Milk (fresh) for the goats milk in the goats milk base?

Also, I thought I read a recipe that included all ingredients that could be found at a supermarket. I have gone through a ton of posts and can't seem to find it. Anyone remember where it was??