M&P Recipes

Candybee

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, newbie here! You all are so wonderful sharing your recipes! I have a question regarding coconut milk. I've seen several recipes calling for it, but am having a little trouble determining the correct product to purchase in the store. My local market carries "coconut milk" in the refrigerated section alongside the Silk soymilk, almond milk, etc. They also have "Coconut juice" in the ethnic food section. It comes in a small can, and the ingredients list coconut juice, water, and coconut pulp. Are either of these the correct product?

You can use any of them in your soap making. Its the same with regular milk. You have regular, skim, condensed, powdered, etc. All are good.

My personal preference is the canned milk. I use canned coconut milk, canned goat milk, etc. I like it because it seems richer and creamier to me and I love the soap it makes. Fresh is good too but has more water content. Thats why I like the canned best.

Thanks so much! Since I'm only making small batches as a beginner right now, I plan on freezing it in ice cube trays for future use once the can or carton has been opened.

One more quick question. I added goats milk for the first time yesterday, and the soap itself is great, but the milk seems to be overwhelming the FO. The finished bars smell sort of like baby formula and the frangrance I added is hiding behind it, if that makes sense. What is the recommended FO per pound if you are adding milks?

Thanks again to all of you for making beginners feel so welcome!

Edited by SoapyD

No problem. I add about 1 tbs per lb of FO. Or about 2-3 tsp per lb depending on how strong or weak the scent is. But most I use 1 full tbs per lb.

EOs are different because they are more concentrated. You only need maybe 1-2 tsp per lb again depending on how strong or weak the scent is. Same with extracts. I sometimes use lemon extract in my soap.

• 1 month later...
My Basic MP Soap Recipe

I will cut this down for the purpose of this thread because I tend to make BIG batches!

(I use all of these ingredients in every bar of my soap)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2lb white soap base (I use EBC, but you can use what you have)

1/2 cup fresh goat milk (you can use canned or powdered if you want)

4T liquid soap (unscented, undyed)

2T honey

2T shea butter

1T cocoa butter

1T olive oil

1 T jojoba oil

Fragrance oil (add as much or as little as you would for 2lb soap recipe)

I use a presto pot .. melt the base first and then add the other ingredients mixing well.

Produces skin loving bubbly bars of soap with super creamy lather!

Enjoy :cheesy2:

prairieannie....Thank you for sharing your recipe. It was a hard decision which to choose from this great list....I made it this evening. It is cooling down solid fine but on the bottom when I run my fingers across I have oils coming out. I added 1 tsp of CO to harden it up a bit and forgot the unscented liquid soap. Also, I used a 2:1 ratio of SFIC white soap base to SFIC shaving soap. Do you think any of those issues could be causing the oils to seep out? Or maybe I haven't waited long enough?

I used the double boiler method. Melted the soap chunks first, then added the solids, then the oils, fragrance oil and last the Goats Milk. I did not use a thermometer since I didn't know what temp it should be heated to.

All in all being my first batch of M&P made with extra ingredients, I'm really excited about how easy it was to make a great bar of soap...even if I have to melt it back down to add something to keep it from having stuff seep out.

Thanks again for sharing.....Jeanne

Prairieannie uses the white base from Essentials by Catalina so her recipe may make somewhat different soap if you are using a different base. Also, since you have changed the recipe or omitted an ingredient that could make all the difference in having an oily texture to your soap. I'd say to wait a couple days. Let the soap completely harden over a few days. If it is still oily then remelt it down and add more base to it. An oily soap means you added one or more ingredients or too much of one that the base will not handle. Remember, some bases do not accept additives as well as others. Always test your base out before trying out any additives.

Prairieannie uses the white base from Essentials by Catalina so her recipe may make somewhat different soap if you are using a different base. Also, since you have changed the recipe or omitted an ingredient that could make all the difference in having an oily texture to your soap. I'd say to wait a couple days. Let the soap completely harden over a few days. If it is still oily then remelt it down and add more base to it. An oily soap means you added one or more ingredients or too much of one that the base will not handle. Remember, some bases do not accept additives as well as others. Always test your base out before trying out any additives.

I'll remember to try out any new bases first before I add the xtra stuff in the future. I remelted the bars and that fixed the problem. I had thought I may have had the heat too low since I took it to the point of just melting everything, quickly stirred in the goat milk b/c I was worried I'd burn it, added the FO, and poured into the mold.

Have any of you tried the "Jack Frost" soap recipe at that old link in the beginning of this thread? Here it is:

Jack Frost Bars - makes 2/3 bars

300 gms Clear Soap Base

5 gms Water

3 tsp Espson Salts

Choice of colours

Fragrance Oil

Melt 100gms clear soap base.

Add colour and stir in.

Place some aluminium foil in the bottom of a small plate

Sprinkle Epson salts over the foil

Pour the melted soap base over the salt crystals

Place in the freezer for about 15 mins

When frozen you will see a reaction between the salt and the foil which makes the soap look like it has frost patterns on it.

Take a rolling pin or similar and break this soap into small pieces. (It will break along some of the lines)

Melt the remaining 200gms of soap base

Add fragrance Oil

Allow to cool slightly

Pop the broken pieces of soap into a mould and pour the remaining soap over the top.

Turn out and admire your Jack Frost Bars

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Candybee....I can't say enough about how wonderful this thread you started is for all us who didn't know where to start or that we could even add extra goodies to M&P.

Praireannie...your recipe basic recipe with GM is the first I tried and love it using SFIC. I'm wondering if anyone can help me out on which oils or butters I could use to turn this into a moisturizing facial bar. I searched but got overwhelmed between the oils and butters, and not sure which to get now.

TIA

Edited by jeanie353

I would like to " thank " yall for this thread. Candy, PA, I have been kicking around the idea of dabbling in MP but after reading this thread , I can see another addiction fast coming up. I can't wait to try the OH and PA's receipe. I just have one question ( for now ).

What is the "shelf life" of the main ingrediants used in most soaps (from OO to Jojoba to everything and anything in between.

The reason Im asking is, I may be getting a ton of oils and CP molds (can you use these too for mp ?). It would be amazing if I could keep at least half of the oils... but I know for a fact they haven't been used in a year. Should I just toss the lot and buy brand new of everything?

I appologize for the iggit question and I should do the reasearch myself, but honestly I dont even know where to start !!!

Blacktieaffair - You can use the same oils in M&P that you use in CP. Shelf life will vary from oil/butter. I keep my butters like shea butter, cocoa butter, and coconut oil (during the winter when it stays hard) in the fridge in a water proof plastic container. They can keep for months this way. I use oils like olive oil the same as I do for cooking. You know when its gone rancid. You can keep them in the fridge but I tend to set them on my soaping supply shelves. For me stuff like liquid glycerin and castor oil keep for months on my shelf at room temp out of direct lighting. Honey of course tends to get hard after several months but you only need to warm it up and its good to use. Hope this info helps.

Jeanie - I don't know which oils are good specifically good for facial care. Perhaps this is a good question to pose in the CP section or bath & body section. Charcoal and or clays may be good additives for cleansing and oil control. Lemon EO or extract would help as an astringent.

But I do know that using M&P soap on my face keeps it clean, soft, and moisturized. I typically use shea butter and olive oil and milk in my soap if that helps. But I don't make it specifically for the face but for the entire body. Many of my customers tell me they use it to wash their face and like it better than any other cleanser they have used. I don't know about that I just know I like how it gently takes care of my skin and face.

Thank you both for the compliments on this thread. I just wish something like this was here when I started using M&P. After finding the old thread in the archives and what others posted I decided to start this thread so everyone can have a recipe thread they can learn about M&P and also post their recipes.

It did help :) TYVM ! I think if I end up getting the molds and all, I may just toss the lot of oils and butters and start from scratch, since I know all of the other stuff is at least a year old.

Dang it LOL

O, one last question Candybee since ur right here. I dont know the dimensions of one of the molds, since I dont have it yet, but what's the best way to figure out how big a batch to make in it, fill it up with water? (with a liner of course lol ) Reason Im asking is, they can't remember, and all they remember is it would make 20 bars of 3/4 in sliced soap.

Don't toss your oils and butters! At least not if they are still good and especially since the price of everything has gone up! Check them out first. I think if they smell off or changed color, texture, then that may be your clue to toss them. But if they still look and smell like they did when you bought them then they are probably still good. Oils you should be able to taste if you can't detect and off smell. Anyway, I would check before I toss.

There was a thread started not too long ago about how to tell the amount of soap base per dimensions of a mold. Personally, I buy molds that already have the amounts listed on the site I buy them from so I never had to guess.

Jeanie - I don't know which oils are good specifically good for facial care. Perhaps this is a good question to pose in the CP section or bath & body section. Charcoal and or clays may be good additives for cleansing and oil control. Lemon EO or extract would help as an astringent.

But I do know that using M&P soap on my face keeps it clean, soft, and moisturized. I typically use shea butter and olive oil and milk in my soap if that helps. But I don't make it specifically for the face but for the entire body. Many of my customers tell me they use it to wash their face and like it better than any other cleanser they have used. I don't know about that I just know I like how it gently takes care of my skin and face.

Thanks a bunch.....any little bit helps right now. I have ingredients sitting in shopping carts at several places. OO is one thing I have in each basket b/c I want good stuff, shea I have from the initial saop and goat milk in the freezer from first two batches.

I have been using the non-fragrance of the two types I made..... one bar for face and another for body. It IS better than any facial cleanser I've used to this point. Just want to make it extra special and label it as a facial soap for moisturizing. Will worry about getting one ready to market for oily skin later.

I had no idea M&P could do anything other than just what the name says until I found this thread. Now I just want to keep going with the different recipes as its a wonderful product that can do so many things.

Oh, geezee...just remembered I wanted to pick up a loofah this weekend to try that in M&P.

Jeanie- you will find that a well made M&P soap is just as good as a well made CP soap. I have used plenty of both and what really makes the soap work is a good recipe. I have also had some CP soap that just didn't moisturize, same lthing trying out others M&P soap. You would not believe how many customers I have tell me they prefer mine over other soapers and I know they are talking about CP soap in most cases.

Don't get me wrong. I am not comparing the two types of soap. CP is making soap completely from scratch rather than using a base. But the results in the finished soap depend on a great recipe and a good soap maker.

Jeanie- you will find that a well made M&P soap is just as good as a well made CP soap

I'm sooo glad you mentioned this. I was wondering but didn't want to ask thinking it might upset people who preferred one over the other. I also am not comparing just very nice to know it is possible to make a good soap with M&P as well as CP. With CP I can see where one's creative ways are able to come out while making a good bar of soap.

Looking over the recipes on this thread, there is honestly nothing missing in what one could want in a soap...that I could see. I'm really excited to try other M&P bases to check the quality of the one supplier I did get mine from vs others. Also do want to try olive oil M&P. Going to try 50/50 with additives first then may try suspension of exfoliants. Don't think I'd try goat milk base or shea base since I'd prefer to put that in myself

Jeanie, I tried Candybee's Orange Spice (hope I got the name right; it's in this thread) MP soap recipe, and it turned out fabulous; my customers went nuts over it. Thanks, Candybee; you ROCK!

Oh geezeee...Now I have to go find it and add the ingredients to one of my shopping carts....:cheesy2:

Jeanie, I tried Candybee's Orange Spice (hope I got the name right; it's in this thread) MP soap recipe, and it turned out fabulous; my customers went nuts over it. Thanks, Candybee; you ROCK!

Thanks...Found & printed it (Cranberry Orange & Spice)....Unfortunately I left skid marks when I almost passed up the Creamy Coconut Milk Soap

:laugh2::laugh2: Yup, that Creamy Coconut Milk will be poured in the next few days also. And you're right, the name is "Cranberry Orange Spice" (was too lazy to double check, lol).

Oh, Jeanie, give it a try; I'm sure you'll love it, love it, love it!

Thanks...Found & printed it (Cranberry Orange & Spice)....Unfortunately I left skid marks when I almost passed up the Creamy Coconut Milk Soap