Would you take back a 7 year old candle?

BarbaraC

I had a customer return a candle she bought 7 years ago. I exchanged it cause I was dumbfounded and did not know what to say. I use pure soy the candle use to be purple and now its pink. This candle looks like its been threw the war. Anyone who knows anything about soy knows how the candles change over time and will not burn right. I was just wondering if anyone else would of exchanged a candle that was that old. The only reason why I know the age of the candle is because I no longer make that scent. Thinking about putting dates on all of my candles cause I cannot believe someone would have the nerve to bring something that old back.

I consider myself very patient and after working in customer service for 10 year, I thought I had heard it all..

but I would laugh in their face. There is no way on earth I would take back a 7 year old candle. Hell, I wouldnt even take back a one year old candle unless it was in PRISTINE condition and they better have a reciept and a darn good reason like... "I'm allergic to fragrance" lol :laugh2:

You have way more patience than I!

Hell yea, I would take it back! Then I would use that candle to show my customers that I take care of them no matter what and not how to abuse a candle.

Our company policy is take back anything for any reason, or no time limit period.

Example: This week customer returned spiced cranberry jelly jar candle, says it didn't smell as strong as mason jar, same fragrance. Qucikly unquestionably gave her another candle told her to keep other candle but burn it longer (candle obviously not burned long enough to form decent melt pool) Customer very happy and makes another $100.00 + order.

Rick

Cuyahoga Valley Candle http://WeStink.com

In a word, no. BUT, depending on the "excuse" for returning it, and the customer's attitude, I might give a discount on a new one or something as an expression of goodwill. I DO like Rick's line of thinking on the subject...

SEVEN YEARS? Ya can't even get your money back on a television that old!! I HOPE the customer was extremely apologetic abeout asking... I wouldn't even THINK of trying to return a candle that was 7 years old!! :shocked2:

Edited by Stella1952

Hell yea, I would take it back! Then I would use that candle to show my customers that I take care of them no matter what and not how to abuse a candle.

Our company policy is take back anything for any reason, or no time limit period.

/quote]

I agree, my policy is 100% satisfaction guarantee and word of mouth advertising is my best spent dollar!!!!

I would have laughed. No way would I have taken it back. There's good customer service and then there's allowing someone to walk all over you.

I have extremely good customer service and bend over backwards for people, but this is extreme to say the least.

And no, I wouldn't worry about word of mouth with this type of person. I have so many repeat customers who I cater to. Someone who bought one time 7 years, I wouldn't worry about.

Edited by Wildcrafter

I probably would take it back, but I wouldn't like it. I had a "friend" who I let her sell my candles under a different label for her Non-profit group. I insisted that she take orders before hand, but she wanted to make them, then sell them door to door. The kids help make them, but I did more than half the work. I gave her the candles at cost. She returned a case of them (about 1/8 of the total) and asked for the money back. I refunded her back, but I didn't like it. She has since asked to make more candles...but I refused. The nerve!

Barbara, absolutely not.. I think it is crazy the things people try to do to get free stuff..

Soy candles do change in appearance , and I find it quite humorous that someone would have the nerve to do this..

I really commend you , for doing this , but in the future I am sure you will not be so willing..

good luck

Diane Mumm