Question to you Presto Pot users!

I'm so wanting a presto pot! I have seen the directions to "make your own" and also seen some candle supply places sell them already retro fitted for about $20 more.

Did you make or buy?

Not sure how much the fittings cost, and afraid of messing it up! Maybe easier to buy if the cost is justified, you know?

Would love to hear from others on this subject.

Thanks as always

Dana

There's a ton of threads about this subject, but I'll start - I don't have a spigot - I just use a ladle for all three of mine. You'll hear both - some people wouldn't use w/a spigot, and some people wouldn't use without. It mainly comes down to personal preference.

Sorry, I guess I didn't search well enough.

I was of course referring to buying one with a spigot already vs making a spigoted one myself.

Using a ladle never even crossed my mind :rolleyes2 Duh

I'll try to search more, thank you

dana

I have 4 presto's, 1 with a spigot, 3 without. I rarely even use the one with the spigot now, and when I do, I don't use the spigot. For me, it is more of a PITA than it is worth to use it. And because I'm a ditz half the time, when I did use it, I would forget to close it before melting more wax, then I would have a mess of hot wax to clean up. UGH!! It is much easier for me to just pick the presto up and pour from there.

Now with my turkey roaster I do ladle it out, because I can't lift that much molten wax without making a mess either. LOL

I bought mine from Walmart, thought about putting a spigot in but tried first without.

I think I am going to have my DH put a spigot in one of mine to try it. I think for me it will work out better. I wouldn't buy one predone as I have a very capable DH and would trust his installation quicker than a strangers. I couldn't justify the added expense when I really don't need it. If you don't have anyone to do it for you there is a place on E-bay that guarantees it won't leak.

Either way you decide.... you will love the ease of the presto.

Have a great day

Danielle

Sorry, I guess I didn't search well enough.

I was of course referring to buying one with a spigot already vs making a spigoted one myself.

Using a ladle never even crossed my mind :rolleyes2 Duh

I'll try to search more, thank you

dana

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound crabby - if I was thinking you were a stupidhead for not searching I wouldn't have even answered :)

I purchased mine already with the spigot on off ebay. Works great! I couldn't do it myself and didn't have anyone to do it for me so I had to buy an already made one. It was worth the extra expense to me. Mine has a spigot with a valve on that you turn on and off. I have never had a problem. To me, I don't like to ladle as it is too messy, and picking up the pot to pour the wax into a pour pot is too heavy (I have arthritis).

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound crabby - if I was thinking you were a stupidhead for not searching I wouldn't have even answered :)

Oh Judy, no problem....I don't think you sounded crabby. I usually am a search-a-holic and felt a bit silly for not researching more...or being smart enough to figure out you don't HAVE to have a spigot! :laugh2:

I appreciate the time you all take to read and respond to my questions!

dana

This is going to sound like a really dumb question but for those of you that use the ladles.....where do you get them from and are they the plastic or metal ones? I never really thought about using one until I saw it on this thread! :o

I am like someone else said, I forget to close mine off sometimes after I have used all the wax in it and when I go to melt again I forget that I didn't close it off so have the mess of wax to clean up off of the floor! It's a really good thing that I have mine in a closet with nasty old linoleum down on it or else I would have many ruined floors! :angry2:

I have 3 and wouldn't think of not having spigot. Ladle sounds too messy to me! I bought mine all from the same person on ebay. Worth every penny :) Never had any trouble with spigot. No leaks and always pours. Love my turkey fryer with spigot also

I have several pots and my dh put a spigot in one. Cost him about $15 for the parts and then he had to buy the right size tap to make the hole. I like it much better than the ones I have to ladle out of, but the ladle does work...it is just much messier than with the spigot. I keep hinting that I want them on all my pots!

Have 1 with spigot or however you spell it. I just make candles as a hobby. Hubby put the spigot on and I remember how long it took him! He wanted to make sure it was perfect. LOL! I love it and I always use the spout thingy to drain the melted wax out of.

I have 2 presto pots, 1 with a spigot and 1 without. I love the spigot on mine! I usually just load my presto and then when melted weigh out the needed wax in a pour pot. I sometimes pour out of the presto that doesn't have a spigot but am kinda messy. Already told hubby he needs to put a spigot in the other one!