Homemade Dog Treats

kforbs126

This weekend I went to the biggest craft show this area has annually. They have about 400 booths maybe more. Anyways there was 2 dog treat booths. Now I've thought about this in the past cause I wanted to do something other than just candles, I'm a bit tired of just candles right now.

The one booth was almost completely sold out of what they had and I got there 3 hours after it started, the other also had a lot sold.

I think they are a cute idea and obviously a big hit. Anyone have any tips or tricks of how to start doing this. Seems pretty easy as just making and baking. Receipes, things to do and not to do, etc.

Thanks,

Kristin

I just read a post on this and forget where. Might have been BC. It is not as easy as just baking and selling. Some red tape, guidelines and from what the post said contact the state or area you live in. It is label ,label and label from what it said. How much of each ingredient I believe. Just a little more than I wanted to get into. Do a search but with all the scares and also with animals I am sure about the same as with people. Health issues and checking the area where they are made. This is only my opinion an sorta what I remember. Just was over a week ago I read quite a bit on this. Came out to more than I ever thought people must do.

I have to agree they do sell. Not sure but the people might buy them wholesale and re-sell. I had a person across from me last year at a show and thought she did good but did not return or was somewhere else this year at the show. Most of us stay put.

I am sticking with candles. I love making them and also love the compliments.

LynnS

I bought some dog treats at our fair this past summer which my dogs love. I was speaking to the owner and she said that her sales weren't too good. Anyway there is a lot that goes into making and selling these. The county health inspector has to come to wherever you are making these and inspect for clealiness and make sure you are doing everything up to code such as if you were running a bakery.

In the town I live in they are such a hit there is a whole store dedicated to it. I assumed it was a small strip mall type store, but it's really not. It's a really big store with so many treats it's unreal. Everything from the traditional dog shape to things shaped like donuts, french fries etc. At this place if you bring in your pet, they can get a free treat. Oh, and the place is always busy too, people waiting in line to check out. This was the first store I have seen like it and it was actually really cool. I was used to Petsmart and places like that lol

AHA....I have a Pet Pantry and can answer some questions :) Things are different in the USA than they are here in Canada....BUT....1st thing you MUST MUST MUST obtain a business license. Then, you must have your treats approved by the Department of Agriculture... VERY $$$$ from what I hear. From there on....I have no idea when it comes to the USA. Up here the ingredients MUST be on the labels, and the treats must be approved as well.

It REALLY pays to do your research and make sure all the legalities are done. I have seen a fair share of non licensed pet sites out there, and frankly it scares the dog poop out of me.

Good luck on your quest :)

Can anyone direct me to some links to the US ag info?

Business license I already have one for candles, easy to get one for food.

If it costs a ton of money, do you honestly think that everyone gets a license down here? Not that I'm going that route but I could just bet both the places i seen this weekend didn't.

If it costs a ton of money, do you honestly think that everyone gets a license down here? Not that I'm going that route but I could just bet both the places i seen this weekend didn't.

probably not...& that indeed is scary suff. I have a friend who ran a pet site in the USA out of Florida. She actually got shut down because of it.

I personally feel that pet food is the same as human food....would you want to eat anything that isn't approved? Not only that, but every since the pet food recalls, pet owners are VERY leery about what goes into their pets mouths.

Once everything is in place, this is indeed a wonderful industry to be in. You will absolutely adore it!

A friend of ours that we met at our first craft show a few years ago does this. She has been a dog trainer for years and her daughter is one of the best trainers in the US. Therefore she is extremely knowledgeable about what dogs eat. I've seen her in action - she asks what type of dogs people have (if they're not with them); how old; their habits, etc. Then she suggests what treats would be the best for them. She is one of the best sales people I know - she knows her stuff ... I guess you could say she knows her dogs inside and out!! :tiptoe:

To that end - IMO it's not just 'having recipes and making and baking'. You have to know dogs and what works in their systems. I wouldn't want to sell a dog treat and it make them sick because it's something they really shouldn't have been eating ... a person gets a rash 'cause they have a reaction to your lotion, you can hopefully fix that ... cause a person's pet (aka baby) to get sick and look out - there's gonna be hell to pay.

Serious research and studying needs to be done if it's going to be done right.

Just my :2cents:

With all the crap they put in dog food it can't be that hard to pass the dog inspectors... I have thought about making my dogs some treats, maybe they would eat homemade cause they won't eat store bought. Have looked online a couple of times but never did pursue it very far. Maybe a cook book for dogs. I know they can't have onions or nuts or corn. But that's the extent of my knowledge.

With all the crap they put in dog food it can't be that hard to pass the dog inspectors... I have thought about making my dogs some treats, maybe they would eat homemade cause they won't eat store bought. Have looked online a couple of times but never did pursue it very far. Maybe a cook book for dogs. I know they can't have onions or nuts or corn. But that's the extent of my knowledge.

No raisins, either. Very poisonous to dogs.

Before going into the candle business, we thought about getting into the dog treat business. I did some checking and from what I can remember you have to have a license for each treat. For instance, if you have a muffin and you have it in 5 different flavors, each flavor has to have a license and at the time it was like $50 or $75 per license or whatever it was called. Then if you have a dog cookie and have it in 7 flavors, same thing about the license. They are very strict in what you can and cannot do. Make sure you do a lot of research.

You have to know dogs and what works in their systems. I wouldn't want to sell a dog treat and it make them sick because it's something they really shouldn't have been eating

I second that. As the owner of a dog with a somewhat sensitive stomach, I want to know what's in it and why. And if I found out you didn't know, weren't sure, I would NOT be buying from you.

I don't know doodly about the licensing end of it, but a lady in my town makes a killing in this business. She specializes in treats that diabetic dogs and dogs with weight issues can eat. That is a very hot market as unfortunately a lot of dogs seem to end up with both problems and although dog food mfrs do accommodate the special needs foods, the treats end they don't. I have seen her at some of my shows and she is always busy. People love their dogs!

There was someone selling dog cookies made from a recipe they located on the internet. Some of them contained rasins:shocked2: . Thank goodness someone told her about the possible harm before a pet was hurt. Several years ago I had a doggie treat/meal cook book and I remember there were several recipes that contained a lot of garlic. I later read that could also be a problem. Maybe you could consult with a vet. that would be willing to help you.

I had a doggie treat/meal cook book and I remember there were several recipes that contained a lot of garlic. I later read that could also be a problem.

Food for pets must be like our food, every food is good one week and bad another. Never read anything about raisins before the email. And have read several books that said garlic is good. If Vet's are like my DR, asking them is a waste cause they don't read about all this stuff. I told my Dr about Cinnamon being good for me since I have Diabetes, and how I now put cinnamon in capsules so I can take it easier. She laughed :laugh2:and said she hadn't heard that one. This was a REPORT/STUDY, what the hell does she read???? And she says I should stop the sweets... HA!

I don't sell them, but make dog treats every year for Christmas for my family's and friend's furry pets. I bought a couple of books from Amazon and used the recipes in there when I first started. You do need to know what dogs absolutely cannot tolerate (onions is one). But if you stick with the basics and use baby food as your meat and vege additives, it will be safe for dogs. If you're interested in a couple of basic recipes pm me.