BBB Dupe Poll

U Pick the Winner...Best BBB Dupe  

127 members have voted

1. 1. U Pick the Winner...Best BBB Dupe

• Candle Number 1
    • Candle Number 2
    • Candle Number 3
    • Candle Number 4

Margarittamama....there is something in August.....my daughter and best friend started the YaYa month....it is the 8th month so it is the infinity symbol. The month of the goddesses. (Also the month you don't weed anymore).....Donita

Month of the Goddesses? - I LIKE IT!!!!! :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see the winner any time in the poll results at the top of the thread - same place where you voted.

You can see the winner of the candle but not who made it...that was left out til the end. Scented you were pretty close..... Congrats to Donita for the most votes..all the candles were beautiful and you all did a GREAT job!!!:D

1 was Margaritamama

2 was Top

3 was Donita

4 was Kaybee23

CONGRATS GUYS!!!

I have to tell you why making mottles frustrates me so much....

My BBB Dupe, the 1st one, was made with exactly the same wax on each layer. I melted the wax 1274, added the stearic 3tbsp, and the FO, in my presto pot. The only thing I added in the pouring pots was the dye. Now, tell me why the ivory mottled, the burgundy mottled, but the green did not even exhibit ONE snowflake?!?!?!?!?

I'm stumped.........:confused:

Well, no matter how critical you are of your own candles, I give ALL of you a big congrats for the dupes you created!!! I've never tried to make a pillar before ... when I finally do decide to take the leap, I know I will have some great mentors to help me along the way! Good job, guys!!! :D

I would like make some comments on mine. Since it was my first ever layered paraffin pillar (and my 2nd pillar ever), it was really a hit or miss. I misjudged my layers as far as getting them more even, and I am guessing the ivory dye I used clashed a little with the fudge brownie FO I used in it and turned it more of a golden color. Maybe it has vanilla in it? And one last thing. It really probably would have been a nicely mottled candle had I not tried to experiment and cool it down faster, that turned it somewhat more mottled and rustic. So I guess if it had been a "Rustic" contest, I would have had it nailed, LOL! However, I was tickled that I got the layers to bond together with no problem, so at least I got that part right, and adding, it smells really good! This was a lot of fun and I would love to do it again. Maybe with a little more practice under my belt, I'll come out with some real beauties down the road. Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement and nice words. Next time I hope we have more people participating, come on ya'll don't be shy.:D

I also wanted to add. Everyone that makes pillars, no matter if they are rustic, mottled or whatever else, have been my inspiration for wanting to try the pillars. There have so many beautiful candles in the gallery, some of which I am sure I will never be able to create; just oogle over, LOL!. So keep them coming everyone. I have so many ideas now floating around in my head and not sure what to make next. I am sure whatever it is, it will be a doozy (as my dad would say). We have the best board around with some of the most creative people around. I am just in awe of all of the talent and knowledge.

First of all I would like to thank the Academy.....you like me, you really like me....hehehe....and thanks to the other deserving candidates who posted their experiments. I wish more had entered and I'm sure that someone else would have won...I hope that we can do this again and have more contestants! I am going to post the candles I made that I didn't show anyone.....so any of you that were chicken to post, you will feel that what you did is a materpiece....mine really are terrible. That was the day that I was minding my own business when my daughter's Shih Tzu, Daisy, got hit by a car...a passer by grabbed her and took her to the vet (my daughter's vet)...then the man who hit her, turned around and she was gone. But we have heard that he wants to pay the vet bill even though is wasn't his fault. If he does, then I will email the story to Ellen. Daisy has a broken pelvis. She has been resting with me in the studio and I cook special food for her. Bless her little heart. Now back to the candle story. Amanda jumped in her car and took off to the vet. I was here with the grandchildren. Van, 5 and Avery 3. Avery came into the studio with me and threw sand all over the floor, then beads, then sand, then beads...then said "have to pee"....so I had to go downstairs with her, wearing my back brace, and lift her up....then she said. No! and got off.....refused to put on clothes and went running into the house. Jumped on the bed with Van and gave him a bloody nose....got an ice cube and told him to lie down and pinch his nose. Amanda called and told me that Daisy was going to be OK. I was pouring layers during this. HeHeHe.....I should have just waited, but I think that I am so good that it would just work. Well, I was wrong. So thank you for voting for all of us and I promise to support world peace.:) The wax I used will surprise some of you, but not Alan. Top, you said that Alan found that a narrow cut was good for motteling....well that is what I used. I find that with the waxes made to mottle, you get that all over look of granite and a strange feeling finish. I used 4045EP with 3% steric and one oz. FO. Poured at 180. You all know that I probably couldn't produce that candle again. Not make it look exactly the same way. Layers change things too. It cools at different rates.

Yesterday I did three candles. On the left is 4045EP with 1 oz FO. Middle is the same with 1T steric and on the right is with 2T (3%) steric. All scented Spiced Cranberry. Very drastic differences. My personal favorite is the one on the left with nothing added except the FO. I also have read that some greens are hard to mottle. So Margarita Mama, it wasn't your fault. Thanks again....working on another experiment today. Thanks again for participating and reading this far. Donita

PS....I almost didn't enter that candle because it really doesn't look like the BBB one, but I didn't have time for another experiment so at the last minute I submitted it. I think it is pretty, but doesn't looke like a good dupe.

post-248-139458382909_thumb.jpg

Thanks Prairie ...I poured all at 180. The pictures of the pink candles don't look as good as they do in real. I am very happy with no steric for the 4045EP. It wasn't greasey, just one little wipe. It has that "cloud" look. I like to make all kinds just for the fun of it. Luckily I have lots of wax to play with and about 40 or so pitchers....I am always messing around and have masking tape on the handles so I don't forget what I am doing.....doesn't always work. HeHeHe On the first pour I slightly warm the molds with the heat gun....not hot, just warm. I am so lucky that we "do the mall" at Christmas because that is where I can get rid of all of my experiments. My regular customers are sometimes afraid to buy some of my "exotic" candles...that's what I like to call them....some are really strange...but there will be someone at the mall that finds their perfect candle. Whatever..... As I do experiments on everything, I will always post and you people who do pm me know that I am always happy to answer and try to help....that is how I learn too. Donita