BBB Dupe Poll

U Pick the Winner...Best BBB Dupe  

127 members have voted

1. 1. U Pick the Winner...Best BBB Dupe

• Candle Number 1
    • Candle Number 2
    • Candle Number 3
    • Candle Number 4

The wax I used will surprise some of you, but not Alan. Top, you said that Alan found that a narrow cut was good for motteling....well that is what I used.

So Donita, are you saying that the narrow cut you used was 4045EP then? (I LOVE your second set of pillars you posted! The ones with this post.)

If that is the case - are these pillars rather "soft" in feel compared to say the IGI waxes? I ask because the BBB pillar I have simply just has a different "feel" to it than what I get. My pillars - all of them, seem "hard" (no additives used). I'm just wondering if the "narrow cut" paraffins have a "softer" feel to them.

I find that with the waxes made to mottle, you get that all over look of granite and a strange feeling finish. I used 4045EP with 3% steric and one oz. FO. Poured at 180. You all know that I probably couldn't produce that candle again. Not make it look exactly the same way. Layers change things too. It cools at different rates.

You know, that was my next step - to switch from IGI 1274 to something else because I do consistently get that all over granite look - nice if thats what you want. So, yesterday I mixed 1343 and 1274. Did two pillars - one with a couple pellets of vybar 260 (per jokerjen) and one without the vybar. I got ZERO mottling in BOTH of them - so that lets out that little formula.

Donita - congrats and thanks so much for all your posts and letting us know your waxes and percentages. I've always done that in the veg forum - and now that I'm on the paraffin side for pillars - I see that this info you post is SO helpfull!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to add. Yes that first pink one is my favorite also - you can see how the mottling just breaks completely away in that one area. Its not even a light mottle like the last one.

I also didn't even catch what you said about the green dye. Guess what my candles were with the 50/50 1274/1343? I mix of huntergreen/sage/xmas green dye chips - so, I'd say maybe it was the green? Never thought it would be such an issue - but these were VERY dark green.

The 4045EP makes a superior candle. It is very hard and glossy. Not at all soft. I also like it for regular pillars. Have been using it for years. It is nice all by itself, but with 1/2 tsp gloss poly it is better....with 1 tsp...more opaque. Leave out the gloss poly and use a little vybar 103 and you get a very creamy look....like a pale lilac I saw on Oprah last week. And it helps with FO retention. Depending on the size of the candles too.....I like a tiny bit of micro 180. That just seems to improve any kind of candle I am doing. Makes the surface flawless....love it in my hurricanes. It does't change the color either. I use a lot of CBL 141 blend for my chunks....just melt and pour and it doesn't ripple on the cookie sheets. When I use that for the chunk candles, I know that I will get a good burn.....because what I pour over the chunks is something entirely different....like lots of FO. I like to keep it very translucent and have "gemstone" colors, not at all creamy.....that's a whole different type of candle. I am going to post some more pictures of the "pink" candles. You can see the different mottle I got with the candle and the scrap left over. The scrap obviously cooled quicker and thus a different mottle. Very interesting. Back to work...Donita

I would like make some comments on mine. Since it was my first ever layered paraffin pillar (and my 2nd pillar ever), it was really a hit or miss.

I also wanted to add. Everyone that makes pillars, no matter if they are rustic, mottled or whatever else, have been my inspiration for wanting to try the pillars. There have so many beautiful candles in the gallery, some of which I am sure I will never be able to create; just oogle over, LOL!. So keep them coming everyone. I have so many ideas now floating around in my head and not sure what to make next. I am sure whatever it is, it will be a doozy (as my dad would say). We have the best board around with some of the most creative people around. I am just in awe of all of the talent and knowledge.

Kaybee - you sell yourself short!!!! I thought your candle was awesome, and even if it didn't look exactly like the BBB candle, it had a beauty all of its own. And considering it was only your 2nd pillar - you did great!!!!

Keep them coming - you're going to amaze us all...........

I also have read that some greens are hard to mottle. So Margarita Mama, it wasn't your fault.

Damn greens...:grin2:

I think it is cool that we all make candles....all kinds....and share our ideas. There really isn't a bad candle, unless it won't burn, but then you can always chop it up and use it for a tart....that is if it is scented....if not, then you can use it on drawers that stick LOL. The candles that I make that are really ugly....look absolutely beautiful when I burn them at night in the dark....so you see......they are all beautiful......don't be so hard on yourselves. You made a candle.....most people never even try. So there!!!!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back. Donita:highfive:

What can I say? What a wealth of info! Thank you! Now I can't wait to order the 4045EP. It just seems like maybe thats why I'm stuck with the granite look - I kept thinking "mottlle wax for mottle candles". The 1343 gave me a non-granite look - but still not like yours.

Even your colors are blending into each other! Like the cranberry into the yellow and the green (right hand candle, right hand side) into the yellow on the side - that is so great looking! I assume you are just pouring the layers hot and not waiting for a really thick skin between each?

Do you poke holes in EACH layer? (I think it was scented that said she pokes her's once at the end but all the way through - could be wrong on that).

I hope mine come out half as good!

(Ever think of writing a book on this stuff ?) :)

Damn greens...:grin2:

YEA! :mad:

--------------

EDIT: I went back and looked at some of my crappy layer mottle experiments - EACH ONE with a dark green layer either didn't mottle at all - or extremely little. Some I did with a liquid green, some with chips - so it doesn't seem to matter. I guess I have a hard time believing its a particular color than can inhibit it - maybe I'm just seeing a pattern where none exists - but its a really strange coincidence.

I also didn't even catch what you said about the green dye. Guess what my candles were with the 50/50 1274/1343? I mix of huntergreen/sage/xmas green dye chips - so, I'd say maybe it was the green? Never thought it would be such an issue - but these were VERY dark green.
What kind of colorant did you use, and how much oil? I just have some doubts about those dye flakes and I know you've used them before so wondering if that could be it. Last time I made green candles they were pretty dark and I didn't notice an effect on mottling. I used a color block.

Kerry I think your pillar turnout great. Might not be a BBB dupe but an awesome pillar. You had a lot more success than I did. All 4 are great. As always, I'm printing out this post and adding it to my pillar notebook. Just hoping that someday i can make something half as good.

Forgot to add. Yes that first pink one is my favorite also - you can see how the mottling just breaks completely away in that one area. Its not even a light mottle like the last one.

Seems strange to me that any green could be a problem. Maybe a particular form, chips, blocks, etc. Since all secondary colors are made from the primes, why wouldn't the primes cause the same trouble?

Top I used standard dye chips for all those greens (I assume Reddi-Glo makes them all?) - and 5% parol (in 1343/1274 mix). To contrast that, 6% FO with liquid dye (French Color D1713) on my other mottle layers (1274 only) I have here in front of me - same issue - no mottle. Maybe just a coincidence - don't know.

Well that's just damned inexplicable. I've never seen a green color block have an effect on a mottle even when coloring deeply. Reddi-Glo chips are the same thing. It's all made by Pourette from powder dye in a stearic base. It's freaky because 5-6% oil is plenty more than enough to mottle those waxes if there's nothing to suppress it.