A Chandler's Corner, Cats and Catnip

Y'all know the old saying that cats are good for blood pressure and stress? Anybody that has TOO much stress and high blood pressure needs to come stay with me for an evening.

I had the whole evening planned out, do some laundry, listen to some Doors while I'm working on another marble, blah blah blah. Even had my camera taking pictures of actual candles instead of the wall! I'm making progress!! Should have KNOWN something was gonna happen.

Because I get organic catnip from a local herbal supplier, my cats go looney on it, it's not the cheap Wal-Mart stuff. It's a little expensive, but hey, they're my kids, I gotta spoil them! I'm beginning to second guess myself here. I have to literally HIDE the stuff when they're not looking, I can't leave it out in the open or even in my herb apothecary, no way. They always find it and then I'm stuck with loaded cats.

I get a furry streak running by the washer when I'm heading downstairs with my bedsheets and comforter. It's nothing new in my house, the brood pretty much has free reign to do as they please. I get the stuff in the washer, turn to go into my workspace and lo and behold....

They have found the nip!!

It was tucked inside my tart basket, wrapped in aluminum foil and buried under all the tarts. Notice, I said was. Tarts are scattered all over the floor and my workbench, aluminum foil shredded and to boot, I've got two full ounces of catnip scattered all over the place, including inside my Presto Pot!! Miss mama, my beautiful petite Snowshoe Siamese goes streaking by me again, chasing a runaway tart, my Burnadette who is a Miss Touch-Me-Not on her terms is wollering all over my pillars, votives and scattered tarts and both of their eyes have absolutely NO pupils whatsoever. It wasn't until I saw my O.J that I lost it completely and had to run upstairs and into the bathroom. I almost didn't make it. He's on the workbench, rolling around like an idiot, meowing as loud as he could...

With my 9 x 3 octagon mold stuck on his head.

Now, the killer of this story is just the fact that I should be mad at the little fluffy bandits, but I can't be. Not when I go back downstairs, camera in hand to take a picture, was going to post it so everyone could see the crew I have and O.J is STILL stuck in the mold, the girls are running all over the place, gearing up for the Catnapolis 500 and he's trying to get off the workbench to go join in the race.

The mold would have been a handicap.

So, I line myself up in just the right spot, I've got all three in my line of sight, still giggling over O.J....

Batteries in the camera are dead.

Moral of the story? The Energizer Bunny hasn't got a THING on three loaded cats and a chandler's corner.

This is just to funny.Sounds like my house.My friend and I always talk about our escpades with our cats.In fact a wonderful lady said she had a cat she didn't want.She said she threw it out.I wondered WHY.I gave her some suggestions to keep it but oh no she wanted it gone.So I take it.Well after having it for a short time I found it likes to lay in the litter pan.I got tired of that so caged her when I saw that.So that worked no longer laying in the litter pan BUT now she sits on the commode where my husband and I want to GO.Now who said they can lower blood pressure.What one isn't doing the other is.'

LAst night I brought 3 papers and thought I will catch up on some news.Wrong there is my older cat just sitting next to me staring and won't stop.Just stared.Then anothe other cat attacks Twiggy and she growls.So that make things more interesting.Bug her more.So I break that up.

For the catnip.I brought some and decided to put it up REAL high so they could not find it.Well Wrong.Packaged and all they get it down but not before taking the towels and washclothes with them.So more washing for me.I think they are worse than kids.

I have my friend laughing so hard she almost cries.Well I am the one crying.

Stress relievers. Not so sure.

Oh forgot one more thing.I had a customer stop and buy more after meeting her at a craft show.Everything was fine till a cat has to get in the middle.Then my handicapped cat puts his nose in everything.Thank goodness she has a dog and cat and a few strays in the yard.I would put them in another room but they would meow so loud I would have to let them out.

I will say they are work but I love them.Still though I am not sure about the blood pressure thing.The only time they may help lower it is when they are good and not sure about those times.At my house they are few and far between.

LynnS

What a cute story. Not sure I could be mad either. I prolly would have just died laughing. I had a cat do something one time. His rear legs got wrapped up in a plastic grocery store bag, that had some wicker baskets in it. He went zooming past me like his tail was on fire. He thought for sure something was chasing him. He hid for hours under the bed, eyes as big as saucers. It was a riot to watch and wished I had had a video camera to catch. But it was one of those moments you couldn't be prepared for, all you could do was watch and laugh.

There's been times I thought about writing a book...'How to Make Candles with Feline Mania'

Chapter One...Where NOT to hide catnip

Wish I had my camera batteries, they're currently all passed out in various parts of the house looking like furry speedbumps. Thank the GODS they finally came down off that nip! Although the look in their eyes were priceless when I was sweeping and cleaning up down there...'Mom! What are you DOING, broad, that's still good nip!'

Well, that's how I came up with my name here. My cats are my joys and my sorrows. I don't know what I would do without each and every one of them, regardless if they pull off antics like this. I can't have kids per say, but I DO have kids! The furry four legged kind!

I know this thread doesn't belong here, but I wanted to put it up because we've all been under a lot of stress, the new season change, having issues with one wax or another, one wick or another, testing fall/Christmas FO's, new customers, new problems, ACK! Every now and then, we need to cut loose and when I saw what my crew did, I had to share it.

Now THAT story is the perfect way to start my day! Laughing at the visual of 3 "loaded" cats and one with a candle mold on it's head! We've been cat lovers forever too and can relate to our one silly kitty getting her head through the handles of the plastic shopping bag and running for her life throughout the entire house until exhaustion set it!

Thanks for sharing!

Sheryl

Wow, you do have your hands full! A wonderful story and I can only begin to imagine how funny all that looked - rats on the camera battery being dead!

A couple of years ago when my only child left for college I agreed to take in two little feral barn kitties that had been abadoned by their momma. Needless to say they light up our lives in ways my hubby and I never imagined and how I lived so long without the joy of being a cat mom I don't know.

My marina is a FO addict. She knows when those bottles come in the mail and she will just sit there on the box until I open it and go through each bottle letting her sniff them! If she likes the FO she starts purring, if not she snorts. Last night I accidently left my smock out on the chair after pouring - it reeked of candy corn and pumpkin pie spice, but all night she snuggled inside of it foregoing her favorite cat bed to be surrounded by fragrance!

LOL @ your story. :) I love cats and wish so bad I could have one, but I am highly allergic to them. :embarasse I do, however, have a 7 month old, 45 pound weimereiner/lab who has turned my back yard into one BIG chew toy, and has me constantly going outside to pick up more mess that he has created. :shocked2:

Oh Candle Kitty, this totally belongs here...or I wouldn't have found it. I just cracked up....thanks.....I don't have a kitty now because 8 dogs are enough, but I have always had them and one time I had 17......didn't get them....they adopted me.....I used to cook for them...I moved into a house that had a wild cat living in the back berry patch......We called her Mama Cat...I was the only one who could ever touch her...she had kittens and they were wild. I tamed a few. I finally had to take her to the animal shelter...I got a trap from them and brought it home. Trapped her and took her there. She escaped, they do not know how, and came back....and kept having kittens....We just learned to tolerate her. She could hurt you. I quit planting catnip in my garden because the cats would tear up the entire garden. I miss having cats...someday I will get one or two or three or.......... Donita (wish you had a picture)

Thanks for sharing your storey, I needed a good laugh. Thank goodness my cats are outside. I have 2 black cats, little bear and baby bear, I have broken a few glass candles because of them, trying to walk to my car and they are walking in front and in back of me, i trip and the glass jars break.

They also jump on the hood of my car when i pull into my drive way, and pat on the window, meowing. I have a simese cat, she is sooo old, and the most cuddlest cat in the world, loves to sleep on your neck.

Mindy :cool2:

What a cute and entertaining story. Those dreaded dead bateries, would have loved to see a pic. But after it's all said and done, don't you just end up loving them more?

I am the same way about my 3 "children" you always want the best for them but sometimes it comes back to bite you -you know where. Last week my uncle came over to paint my kitchen and due to the rainy weather here lately I couldn't kick my guys outside so I call myself standing guard outside the kitchen to block them from going in and disturbing him. Well unbeknownst to me my oldest, Tigger aka "Pet Detective" because he's so nosey, decides to investigate. Next thing I know he's walking around the house with "Pale Sunshine" on the tip of what used to be his black tail.

Oh I'm sure I'll end up posting more fluff ball stories eventually. Every cat I have, has a unique talent for my candlemaking to begin with, I'm just waiting for one of them to stick their nose in my Presto Pot and come up with wax tipped whiskers or something.

Mom cat is my beauty, she's definitely my pillar cat. I pull those molds out, she's all over me. Burnadette is my tart cat, she likes to sit and supervise while I pour into the molds and then meows at me if I goof and spill a drop. Then there's my O.J, who just likes to be a busy body number one, but my votive cat number two. If I'm really getting busy and have everything out for all three, there's where the disaster comes into play, like the catnip night. Everyone knows they're supposed to be there, but no one wants to take a backseat if I'm working on something that's 'not theirs'. I thought about putting their cat bed on my workbench and not under the stairs, but I got to thinking about that...

It wouldn't be the Catnapolis 500 going on, it'd be WWF KITTEN!

My house is somewhat of a zoo as well, but we have 4 very spoiled outside cats who are very big lap kitties. I planted some catnip a few years ago, and forgot all about it. Well, this year that stuff is everywhere, and I have 4 VERY happy kitties.. its fun to watch..... and to be honest, would love to be able to dup that scent... would make a neat candle I think....lol

CandleKitty,,,that was a great story and I can so relate to you!!! I have 3 cats and a chiuaua in the house and 2 outside dogs. I do not do the catnip because they are nutty on their own. Whenever I am making candles all 3 of my cats come into the kitchen and just sit and watch me,,,they are funny creatures but I love them so much!!!! However I wonder about the low blood preasure @ times too,,LOL,,,I had posted in the "off topic area" one of my cats,,,I dont like for them to be on my stove but I was going to make some candle and low and behold she was sleeping in one of my pots!!! I did have batteries and took pics.I posted them,,,,But I would not give them up for the world,,,they keep me company and when I am sad they seem to know it and comfort me....Just wanted to share and thanks for your story!!! I agree with Prairiannie,,,you should write a book!!!,,,,,