Presto Pots: To Spigot or Not?

Do you prefer spigots on your Presto Pots or not?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer spigots on your Presto Pots or not?

• I prefer having a spigot.
    • I prefer NOT having a spigot.

Hi All.

I haven't posted since the new forum went up, but I have been lurking and reading and getting inspired.

Last weekend my DH and I planned a romantic getaway around running across the Canada/US boarder to get a couple Presto pots I've heard everyone rave out. (Yup, we chose Niagra Falls not because of the falls, or the vineyards or the "romance", but because it was an easy place to get a cross the boarder and to Walmart.)

I know some people add spigots and some don't, and I'd like to know which way people prefer, because once the pots are drilled there's no going back, and it took me a year to make this trip a reality.

If it makes any difference I am just a hobbiest, I never pour large quantities of anything.

So which do you prefer Presto pots with a spigot or without?

Well, I've never had a spigot, but I never wanted one. I weigh my wax on my scale, melt it in the Presto, pour it into my pouring pot, color and add my FO, and that's about as easy as I need it. I have to weigh my pot full of hot wax when I use my turkey roaster, and tare out the pot, and I never liked doing that.

Absolutely, without a doubt, SPIGOT!!

I never weigh my wax before putting it in the presto. I'm constantly adding wax, then weigh out what I need and add dye, FO and UV.

I have 2 presto's with spigots and one without. I hate to use the one without because it never fails, I make a HUGE mess.

Time to go against the grain.... hehehehe!! :P

I have quite a few Prestos. The one I hate the most has the spigot. I think its more of a mess than dumping into a pour pot. I only use that pot for hurricanes cuz it is such a PITA. Perhaps its the spigot, but I don't have the time or patience to wait for it to get the last two drops before they hit the floor.

Waxing Poetic~ let me know next time you go to the Walmart in Niagara Falls, its about 4 minutes from my house. I'll let u know where to go to get bargains over here.

Perhaps its the spigot, but I don't have the time or patience to wait for it to get the last two drops before they hit the floor.

LOL! I put newspaper on the floor to catch the drips!! You should see me trying to dump wax out of the presto into a pour pot...wax covered counters EVERY time. :rolleyes2

WITHOUT! I have only one presto pot and it does have a spigot which I did use. The spigot clogged up once and dh to clear it out for me. I went back to using the spigot again and a short time later the spigot clogged again.

I have decided the spigot faires don't like me to use them and hey is there any clearer message than a constantly clogging spigot.

Therefore my vote is NO SPIGOT!!!!

Chris

Sounds like your spigot may have not been put together right. If they are made out of brass, they carry the heat from the pot and never clog. I bought mine from Heartfelt, and Gena's are made perfectly. You can pump out some serious candles if you get four of these going at once, I measure and pour directly from the pots and don't use pouring pots anymore. The wax melts so much faster than in the big melters, and I don't even use it anymore.

I LOVE my spigot! I keep my presto filled with white wax, open up the spigot, and fill my pour pots to a premeasured line (eliminates taring each time) and I'm good to go. I can't imagine how messy it would be without the spigot. As for the clogging, only thing that's ever in my pot is wax, so if it clogs, it just means the wax isn't hot enough to pour, so that's not really an issue.

Sounds like your spigot may have not been put together right. If they are made out of brass, they carry the heat from the pot and never clog. I bought mine from Heartfelt, and Gena's are made perfectly. You can pump out some serious candles if you get four of these going at once, I measure and pour directly from the pots and don't use pouring pots anymore. The wax melts so much faster than in the big melters, and I don't even use it anymore.

We (you and I) got our presto pot and the same exact place. I got mine from Gena also. So who knows why mine clogs up. After my wax heats to the correct temp I then put it in my pour pot, and wax is the only thing that has gone in there. I save all my mixing for my pour pot. Oh well, I did like having a spigot at first, but now I have become an expert at pouring directly from the pot because of the clogging. Sounds like I got a faulty spigot. And how that happened I haven't a clue. But from now on I will just buy a presto directly from Walmart or wherever and forgo the spigot.

Just wish I could become an expert at making candles. :rolleyes2

Chris

I don't know how I ever managed without my Presto (with spigot). It makes melting wax so much quicker, and easier. I bought mine from eBay, and have been very happy with it. I know some people have complained about splatters and drips. I do have splatters, but no drips, and no clogging. My DH is working on an "attachment" that will prevent the splattering. Will keep you updated on that......

No spigot for me...

just weigh and melt my 8lbs of wax in each of my many pots, then add the other secret ingredients;) , stir and let cool.

Then I go back to the first pot and laddle the wax into my pour pot and fill my candles, thenI go back and pour the rest of my wax into my pour pot and I am done... No clogging, dripping.

Guest EMercier

I currently have one without and wanted to put one on it. I have had problems pouring and have gone through some serious newspaper (have lots though) and the only way I get it right is when the wax is low. I don't fill it all the way up, but I guess I'll try one and see what happens.

LOL! I put newspaper on the floor to catch the drips!! You should see me trying to dump wax out of the presto into a pour pot...wax covered counters EVERY time. :rolleyes2

Defiantly a spigot,,I also keep newspaper on the floor!! LOL,,I think it saves on wax as when you use the spigot you are not slopping it everywhere,,,I know if DH hadn't done mine I would have wax all over the place!!! LOL :highfive:

...until you forget to make sure the valve is closed. LOL.

How true How true!! I have this huge sign over my presto pots reminding me to close them!! But still, even after having left them open and wondering gee, sounds like water running somewhere, I still love my spigots and would never go back to not having them.

I have 3 prestos. 1 with a spigot and 2 without. I NEVER use the one with a spigot anymore.. It was more of a PITA than it was an asset.. The valve would always get stuck, so when trying to open it, I would slosh wax around, sometimes I would forget to close it - lol - and come back to lbs of melted wax on the floor under the spigot, trying to get it closed in time to get just the right amount of wax in the pour pot.. OMG what a PITA!!! I HATED IT.. I will never use a spigot again, and plan on getting about 3 more prestos. One for each type of wax I use.. Container, votive, pillar, hurricane and beeswax.. :) NEVER will I use a spigot again... ugh..

...until you forget to make sure the valve is closed. LOL.

Just did that yesterday! I have been sick with a fever for a few days, needless to say-- I have made many a mistake during that time! I am not pouring any more candles until my mind clears;)

We (you and I) got our presto pot and the same exact place. I got mine from Gena also. So who knows why mine clogs up. After my wax heats to the correct temp I then put it in my pour pot, and wax is the only thing that has gone in there. I save all my mixing for my pour pot. Oh well, I did like having a spigot at first, but now I have become an expert at pouring directly from the pot because of the clogging. Sounds like I got a faulty spigot. And how that happened I haven't a clue. But from now on I will just buy a presto directly from Walmart or wherever and forgo the spigot.

Just wish I could become an expert at making candles. :rolleyes2

Chris

That is weird. Sounds like it may have been made differently than mine. Tell me this, is your pot completely melted when you have the clog in the spigot? The only time I have issues at all, is if I try to pour before the spigots completely heat up too. Usually takes just a few minutes first time heating it up each day. Maybe tell Gena it isn't working properly.

If you do decided to put a spigot on make sure it is brass....hubby did mine while he was at work and put on some expensive valves and extended the spigot so it wouldn't need to set directly on the edge of the counter.....it looked really spiffy and best of all materials were free.....HOWEVER, he used stainless....let's just say it gets clogged every single time I use it!!!!!! Stainless is NOT effective conductor in this application - PITA - so now I haven't used it in ages and don't really miss all the headaches of using a spigot....I use a huge ladle that holds like 4 oz......

I prefer the spigot, although mine really isn't a spigot, but a ball valve. The ball valve opens faster. A true spigot requires too many turns to make it open completely. The ball valve turns only 90 degrees from full close to full open.

Both are found in the plumbing section of the hardware store, and both mount the same way.

Try the ball valve!

I have 2 Prestos and both have spigots (or rather the ball valve, but have a feeling thats what people mean???)

Anyway. The first one I made, the spigot is at a sharp angle and I guess I didn't put the threads on deep enough, and I have some dripping issues (kinda cool how when I put a pour pot under it catch the drippings, it turns into a stalagmite(tite?))

The other one work WONDERFULLY. Very little drippage.

I use the dripping one for my pillar wax, since it comes up of my table easier than container wax in case it doesn't drip inside the pot.

Long story short, I wouldn't know what to do with myself without the spigot. Only way to go, IMO.