How Long Since You Used Commercial Soap

Candybee

Just wondering how long its been since those of you that make your own soap used a commercial soap from your local store? I quit using commercially made soap last year.

So a week ago I pulled out a bar of Dove soap I had left buried in my linen closet for the past year. Just to see what it was like it I pulled it out to wash with it. It used to be my favorite soap once upon a time. Now it just felt scratchy and very drying.

Anyway-- its been a year for me.

Actually I still use both kinds. I have been an Irish Spring freak since I was a little girl and it brings back such good memories for me that I continue to use it to this day...as well as Zest. I had one set of grandparents use Irish Spring and the other set use Zest so for me it is a comfort thing and will continue to use em :)! I do use the soaps I make as well and I will purchase other soaps that are handcrafted and use em, but I can't give up the Irish Spring and Zest:grin2: I also think I still use soaps like those because I really love that "clean" scent and haven't been able to find it in handmade soaps.

Angi

I used my last commercial bar sometime in the Fall of 2004. It was around that time that I purchased a bunch of bars of CP olive oil soaps from a vendor at a gas engine show. Once I had used them through the winter, the cracked skin on my hands totally disappeared and I was hooked.

Then I had to make my own soap! Wouldn't ever consider going back to commercial stuff.

... I can't give up the Irish Spring and Zest:grin2: I also think I still use soaps like those because I really love that "clean" scent and haven't been able to find it in handmade soaps.

Angi

SC Irish Spring FO smells just like the commercial Irish Spring bars! :) I think you would be pleased with it.

Two and a half years ago my skin was so dry during the winter that my knuckles were cracking and bleeding, my legs were so dry I'd scratch them at night and make them bleed. I was making candles and reading this forum and I went to the classifieds and begged for help. Kimberly and Elizabeth came to my rescue and I got soaps and whipped butters from each of them.

Within a couple of days my skin was so much better I decided I'd better start making the stuff. The rest is history.

Hmmm, I started making soaps the beginning of this year and I can't say that I'd go back to commercial soaps either. After a couple of months, I did try to use a bar of Dove (which was my fave soap also). I was so un-enthused. I didn't care for the smell or the feel anymore. And I used to think it was SO moisturizing!! LOL!

It's been a year. When I used the commecial stuff it was never bar soap. I used oil of olay bodywash it was the only soap I felt wasn't drying. I stopped buying lotions and creams four years ago when I began making my own whipped body butters. I had never tried any hand crafted soap before I began making my own. It was on my list of things I really wanted to do and then along came the ct newbie soap challenge :rolleyes2 and now I am addicted:drool:

What a great question. I have not use commercial since making my first batch well over a year ago. I usually bring my own to hotels unless I forget.

Even my husband says my soap gets him much cleaner than that other stuff and my legs dont get that scaly look in the winter anymore.

I too took a bar of my soap on my last out of town trip. I just didn't want to use one of those plain drying hotel soaps.

What I like is how smooth and soft my skin is now and how I don't have to slather on the body lotion like I used to. Used to go thru a bottle of lotion a month! Now I just buy one bottle for winter and dab it on only during the windiest, driest, winter days. I used to hate winter itch!

I haven't used commercial soap since 2001. I have always, always wanted to make my own soap but have never been brave enough to do so until NOW! Looking forward to making my first batch in a few weeks (still researching, lol). Like many of you, I don't use hotel soap either. :grin2:

I started making soaps in January 2005. It was the first winter that the tops of my hands were not red and cracked from being so dry. The last bar of Irish Spring got tossed a month later!!!I keep a bar at work to use and take it when I travel. I have converted sooo many people to handmade soap because I keep some with me wherever I go.