How Long Since You Used Commercial Soap

Candybee

I only started soaping in April or May and have been phasing out the commercial soap. When the first CP bar was cured the shower became a homemade-only zone. The commercial shower bar moved to the sink for handwashing, then finally to the workshop where it's gotten a final lease on life. I avoided throwing it out because it's a L'Occitane shea butter bar. It may or may not live a full life.

Hey, about those deodorant bars that some folks continue to enjoy...

I was reading a patent filing for that sort of product and learned that very specific types of fragrance substances are needed to produce the deodorant qualities. So if it seems that using an FO dupe doesn't result in an adequate substitute, maybe that's the reason. Apparently the formulation of deodorant bars gets more technical than just what it smells like.

I was curious - I was a Coast user, so I went to look up the ingredients - nothing unusual declared - it must be included in the 'fragrance'. It's a basic tallow/coconut/PKO/Palm bar:

Active Ingredients

Soap (Sodium Tallowate; Sodium Cocoate or Palm Kernelate Types; Sodium Palmate); Water (Aqua); Palm Acid (or) Coconut Acid (Emollient); Fragrance (Parfum); Glycerin (Moisturizer); Sorbitol; Sodium Chloride; Titanium Dioxide; Pentasodium Pentetate; Tetrasodium Etidronate; Chromium Hydroxide Green; Ultramarine Blue

Actually, the more I look at bars, I think this list is wrong, it's missing the true active ingredient, probably Triclocarban. Bet the web site I copied it from is wrong.

If the company can show that the finished product has the "deodorant effect" then they can put it on the label. So the FO can do it. The "deodorant effect" doesn't have to be genuine, it can be perceived and evident to consumers through consumer testing.

OR

It can show the effect in a "lab setting" even if consumers cannot tell the difference.

OR

It can contain a proven ingredient that has enough history that it's efficacy is not doubted.

Great question (it was fun reading everyone's responses).

Its been almost two years for me. I started out buying crafted soap, then finally built up the courage after a few months. Actually it took me a year to built up the courage, then after using the handmade soap, it put me over the edge to try a few months later.... I was so afraid of the lye :embarasse.

I began making CPHP last summer and have never looked back. I won't use anything else for my DD or DH, either. We travel with our own soap, too! I thought I was weird that way. Good to know that among soapers I'm not too strange!

I have no desire to use commercial detergent products on my self or my family. Real soap rocks.:grin2:

I started making my own about a year ago and I will never buy store soap again. Mine is nicer and i have yet much to learn thanks to all of you. I read a lot and i lurk. I am getting my frist mold a Mr. Doright on the coop. I am getting the 4lb'er. Wish me luck. Up to now it has been only boxes. woohoo