Tipping molds ??

What are some ways you all tip your molds/jars for the slanted effect? I place two pieces of wood on the counter and leaned them on the front with the back piece keeping it from falling. I've heard of sand but that would be to hard for me to store. So how do you all make a bunch at a time?

My husband made a holder for me that'll do 6 pillars at one time. Basically it's a piece of wood with six triangle shapes cut out. I just lay the mold in the triangle cut out and then there's a piece of wood nailed behind that keeps the mold from falling all the way down.

Hard to explain...when my digital camera recharges I'll take a pic, but you have to excuse my work area! It looks like a bomb hit it....

DanaE

I have large plastic tubs on the floor of my studio. Each one can hold up to 8 candles. The sand allows me to adjust the layers. I also use it for molds that I have a hard time keeping from leaking.....The sand is wet, so if any wax comes out it hardens right away. When I am doing a huge candle, I do not want that thing to start leaking. My grandchildren appreciate that I have sand boxes in the house too.... LOL......I am always finding burried treasures. Donita

Donita's idea is great! I must write that one down for future use.

I actually use a wooden soap log mold. I just set the bottom edge inside and the outer edge lets the mold rest on it. Doesn't sound as sturdy as some of these other ideas.

I still want to figure out how to pour nicely in the taller molds. I leave a trail of wax down the entire candle.

I like the sand idea. So far I've been using rice from a big sack. However, last year I had to throw it out as a mouse got in my garage workshop and left little gifts in it. Had to throw it out and disinfect. So now I have the rice filled box in the house and do it there. Donita's sand ideas would be cheaper and safer (mice virus wise).

I use a large sheet of floral styrofoam, place the mold at the angle I want, and gently push down. Make sure you push it far enough down so that it holds okay once you fill it with wax. Sometimes I warm the bottom of the mold first with the heat gun to make it easier. I have sheets for all the different shape molds I have so when I want to do layers I can do a lot at one time. It holds up great even with pouring wax at 200 and easy to store.

I WAS going to get a kiddy pool and put in the basement so me and the baby can play down there... me with wax and sand, and her in the sand after dads done with pouring candles . It never happened, but it was a good idea i think. Clean up might have been a pain but there is a hose and a shop vac down there! Bruce

What I used to do 20 or more years ago, and am going to set up this weekend is a double laundry tub on wheels. One side has sand and the other side has water. BUT, this will only work in a basement or garage where you can leave it, drain it, etc.

The laundry tubs are cheap at Lowes.

Soja

A box filled with rice. :wink2:

Hey don't waste good rice :P

rice works, i use the foam that they use in boxes to hold like puters and other things in place, not the little pop corns, but the big strips. I cut them to the sizes I want, set it up in a shallow soda box and they work great.