Have your wax prices gone up due to gas prices?

I went the other day to buy 500lbs of wax from my supplier and learned that the price had been raised due to gas prices and shipping increase. It wasn't a huge increase but an increase none the less due to shipping price increase.

Have any of you found the same thing thing when ordering or buying wax?

Luckily I don't ship my wax because I would be out of business if I did!

Oh, and I use strictly soy wax.

Fire

I've noticed a difference, you should see just how proud Hobby Lobby is of their wax all of a sudden. Last year the slab price was $9.99 (I use cheap wax when I'm working on new techniques so I don't waste my quality wax) and when I bought a slab a couple weeks ago, it was $12.99.

Had a feeling we'd see an increase in wax prices sooner or later. Too bad it has to come at a time when the gas prices are almost insane.

I went to order more EZsoy and noticed BC upped the price to $40.50 for a 50 lb box!:undecided Yikes! Wonder if the price of soybeans is going up or if its just due to fuel costs! It is just getting harder and harder for us 'small beans' to keep absorbing these increases with out raising our prices...I now feel like I'm going to have to raise prices, but I know I will lose if I do! To many others out there selling for less!

I went to order more EZsoy and noticed BC upped the price to $40.50 for a 50 lb box!:undecided Yikes! Wonder if the price of soybeans is going up or if its just due to fuel costs! It is just getting harder and harder for us 'small beans' to keep absorbing these increases with out raising our prices...I now feel like I'm going to have to raise prices, but I know I will lose if I do! To many others out there selling for less!

I think Ez soy is the same as Golden Brands 415 and Candlescience has it for 37.95 a case! They have reasonable shipping also.

http://candlescience.com/wax/soy-wax.php

I think Ez soy is the same as Golden Brands 415 and Candlescience has it for 37.95 a case! They have reasonable shipping also.

http://candlescience.com/wax/soy-wax.php

It is the same as gb415 but I'm kinda stuck (I shouldn't say 'stuck'..they are a great company with so many great products!) with bcn as they are the closest to me. I did put in 50 lbs in cs's cart and checked the shipping it says its 30.00 for shipping to me for one 50 lb carton...:shocked2: ..is their cart set up with an 'actual' shipping or do they adjust before they ship it out because that would kill me...I think its around 20.00 to ship from bcn...thanks for that info jakalex!

Is it just the price of soybeans is going up or if its just due to fuel costs! .......The price of soy beans (and most other grains in my area) is increasing due in large part to the explosion in ethanol plants. I know that they use corn but we ahve seen quite a rise in the prices of things like oats etc so I'm sure soy beans will be on the way up too.

It is the same as gb415 but I'm kinda stuck (I shouldn't say 'stuck'..they are a great company with so many great products!) with bcn as they are the closest to me. I did put in 50 lbs in cs's cart and checked the shipping it says its 30.00 for shipping to me for one 50 lb carton...:shocked2: ..is their cart set up with an 'actual' shipping or do they adjust before they ship it out because that would kill me...I think its around 20.00 to ship from bcn...thanks for that info jakalex!

Geez! That does sound high. I would give them a call and see what they say. They are great to work with!

KY candle just announced the prices of their paraffin and paraffin blends are going up from $49.95 to $54.95 per case.

It's not just soy that is going up :angry2: I guess I better get stocked up before all the suppliers jack the prices up lol

Both paraffin and soy are going up. $70 crude & tightening supply(paraffin) and Biofuels (veggie waxes).....Veggie wax prices will continue to rise...just like the oil companies - its worth more as fuel than wax - so they make less wax. Classic supply & Demand.

Yea it getting worse what makes me sick is when the price of fuel drops our prices won't. I am looking at another price increase soon in my products I am hoping to hold off till January but that will depend on how fast things keep rising.

I asked my supplier and they explain it was the increase in shipping.

I also noticed my jars went up .40 a case as well and that was due to freight costs too. Color blocks also went up as have many F/O that I order.

My prices will be increased as well next year. My customers will not like it but I have no choice. They have no idea what things cost me. They are under the impression that it's cheap to make candles!:P

Fire

I use kysoy125 and Vickey posted on her message board this week that their supplier had increased their cost by $4.00 per 50lb box. She is reluctantly raising her prices also. I know they have no choice but to increase also, they would soon be out of business if they tried to absorbe all the additional cost.

I'm just glad I live close enough to pick up my wax. I would soon be out of business if I had to pay shipping on top of the cost of wax.

I have three shows this fall, I'm just trying to get by on what I have now and start getting ready for them. If everything keeps going up, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in the candle business. Shipping alone is getting ridiculous(sp?). I ordered two 100 packs of wicks Monday and shipping was almost $11.00 UPS. That's almost as much as my wicks.:shocked2:

If it's mostly shipping costs that everyone is seeing, I can vouch for the fact that UPS has used the rail system to transport their trailers coast to coast for quite some time now. I had to deal with that when I worked at the railroad.

In the end, it all swings back to fuel costs. Railroads have to compensate for the rise in fuel prices by bumping up their shipping costs. Everyone else has to follow suit or drown.

Don't soybean plants have to be pollinated? I'm pretty sure they do. Most all fruits and vegetables need pollination to produce. You all are aware that there has been a big problem in the honeybee populations disappearing. Whole hives have just disappeared.

Spoke to my local apiary rep where I get my honey. She says her bees have been okay but she has seen whole colonies disappear. Nobody is certain why but there is lots of speculation.

Point is if pollination falls off we don't get crops. That will effect prices of lots of things.

the cost of everything is going up....dang it. We have had a steady increase over the last couple of years. I hate it when i have o increase my prices to keep up with it but so far the customers have been very okay with it...thank goodness!

Just a note on the wicks ordered....usually if you call the company they will send out wicks USPS instead of UPS and save you $7-$8 on shipping if that is all you're ordering. Once you get into wax and fo's, the weight makes UPS cheaper and you might as well order online. I always call if the items I'm ordering are light weight.

Wax prices have been steadily climbing, regardless of the price of oil. We used to pay 59 cents/lb for IGI wax and now pay 82 cents. Plus, the shipping is outrageous. We used to pay $90 a ton for wax shipped within Texas a little over a hundred miles. Now, it's $280. I think everyone is using the "increase in the price of oil" as an excuse to raise their prices, knowing we'll say "oh, well".

I'm waiting for when the price of wax goes down lol! Even if gas were $1.50 (or lower) I bet the wax prices wouldn't reflect the change.

Of course it's an excuse, just like flooding in my state was an excuse to charge $3.39 a gallon.