what to do with metal coat hangers?

dirtybirdsoaps

Someone posted an idea of crocheting around them. They were very pretty. They are used for hanging your delicates on so the straps don't slip off. I'll see if I can find the link.

I found the site. Looks like they aren't metal though.

http://www.freecraftunlimited.com/crochet-clothes-hanger-cover.html

Here is a picture of some wire ones from Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROCHET-HANGERS-3-QUALITY-HANDMADE-VERY-NICE-NEW_W0QQitemZ230048559499QQihZ013QQcategoryZ36024QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's what I thought of...wreaths.

Now...way on back (:laugh2: ) I think it was 4th or 5th grade...we did wreaths. Get the sandwich bags without the zipper...the fold over kind. Slice them open and cut them width wise into 1 inch strips....so they are about 6"x1". You need a BUNCH. Not more than a regular size box if I remember right. Take the wire hanger and bend it into a circle. The hook part of it, bend down to make a little circle to hang it on. Now tie the strips on tight. Smoosh them together to fit more. When done, spray paint as desired. I did mine w/ a gold glitter just on the edges (way back when). I remember it held up many winters outside.....

Or you could make a candy wreath....a gal used to make full size ones and sell them at Xmas time for like $40 a piece.... http://www.youthonline.ca/christmas/crafts/hardcandywreath.shtml

They are impressive with the red and white candies...as well as those jewel toned brach's chewy candies...

And now my brain hurts. LOL. It's too late to be creative!

Donna

Go to www.thriftytips.com there is a pattern on there in the craft section for making poodle dogs. We made these when we were little and I searched everywhere for the pattern. You ben the coat hanger to make the basic dog shape and then you make loops (I forget how and haven't actually looked at the directions yet) and tie them on the hanger to make a loopy poodle.

I used to take them back to the dry cleaners to be re-used. Then one day I went around back and found a dumpster full of hangers - apparently they weren't re-using them like they said... Pissed me off big-time. Now I'm collecting them and want to be buried in a casket made of them! Some day...

My MIL covers them with fabric, ribbon and lace and then hangs a tiny crochet beaded ball on them that she scents with a drop of FO to make your cupboard smell nice. If you want I can take a pic for you and post it.

HTH

Katinka

Thatd be great! I have so many now and I don't want to return them, I'd love to be able to do something nice with them.

My MIL covers them with fabric, ribbon and lace and then hangs a tiny crochet beaded ball on them that she scents with a drop of FO to make your cupboard smell nice. If you want I can take a pic for you and post it.

HTH

Katinka