What have you learned the hard way?

gmp

I thought this would be fun and us beginners could learn a lot! What have you learned the hard way?

For me, I have learned that a cheap scale is better than no scale, but a cheap scale (And I mean $5 cheap) is a PITA to work with! I'm now scouting out digital scales...

I'd love to hear from the rest of you on what you learned about candlemaking "the hard way"!

Hope you all are enjoying some beautiful fall weather today. It is absolutely pouring here in VA!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've learned that liquid dyes link to spread the rainbow of color and not be contained solely to a bottle.

I've learned that when you can't figure out what color a dye chip is, scratch it on something white (like a wall, like a child would do for artistic expression :P ) and you'll find out what the color is.

I've learned that experimenting isn't necessarily being Monty Feldman in a lab where things bubble over, but is a necessity to be a little different than your competition.

I've learned to give thanks to those who have graciously shared their knowledge.

Notes are great ... till you lose them.

There are fabulous FOs out there and it is the suppliers who turn us into HOs ... J/K! I've learned (OK learning) that I don't need every fragrance out there ...

And I've learned it's a waste of my $ to get 1 oz, 2 oz or 4 oz samples, because inevitably I use it in the wrong application or I generally wish I had more and sometimes I am just tired of giving away the green :P

I keep a couple paper cups ready when I pour. I always manage to calculate the wax+FO+color incorrectly and make a few ounces too much. I pour the excess in the paper cups to save for the next time I pour that scent, so I can just add it to the batch. Use a sharpie to lable the cup. I hate to waste the FO.

And as mentioned~never leave wicks out unmarked! Still can't seem to get that one down.

Good thread!

Don't leave your just poured dark colored candle next to your glass of pepsi... almost drank my wax!

Wear protective eye gear, got wax in my eye once...ya it was not fun!

More often than not, it is candle nose

Edited to add: don't mistake your liquid dye for 1oz. samples of FO

What a great thread!!

In the short time I have been doing this, I have learned...

I dont need every container made (although playing is fun)

As someone mentioned, I dont need every scent made (is that an addiction of it's own? :D )

Still learning a lot as I go, but again, great thread :highfive:

If I ever lay two different wicks down side by side and walk away for a minute or two and then come back..........maybe it's an over 40 thing...

I've considered color coding wicks as soon as I get them. Just slide a marker across a bunch of them and throw back in your storage. I've not yet tried this, but I've screwed up enough to really think about it.

What a great thread!!

In the short time I have been doing this, I have learned...

I dont need every container made (although playing is fun)

As someone mentioned, I dont need every scent made (is that an addiction of it's own? :D )

Still learning a lot as I go, but again, great thread :highfive:

Hmmm.. Thought I'd've figured that out by now too....