Best piece of candlemaking advice you've ever heard?

What's the single best piece of candlemaking advice you've ever heard? Your very best "aha!" moment or tip?

Early in my candle career, I was having trouble with my candles developing craters as they cooled. A dude named Joe told me to let them cool slowly, like in an insulated box or cooler, and that totally solved my problem. The rest is history! At the time, I wanted to send this guy a thousand bucks for the tip. :laugh2:

I thought it would be fun to learn about everyone else's greatest discovery, most useful tip, or best item of advice for chandlers! Your turn! :)

forums-read, read, read. I have learned so much from all you guys it has helped me so much.

Yup, google and read all the candle forums you have time for. Read everything, then read it again. All your questions have been asked repeatedly on all the boards, you will find it if you take the time.

Start with one size for your container jar and stick with it until you get it right...then move onto the next. That way you have a sense of accomplishment. If you have too many projects going on at the same time, confusion reins.

(Now, if I only used this method with my housecleaning!:D )

Read

Test

Read

Test

then read and test some more!

Also, to make sure you presto pot spigot is turned off and to always put the lid back on liquid dyes (tight!) even if you think you're going to need another drop in a minute.

Since i use CD Wicks - i was told to twist them. You know how they hang over to one side - this i was sooooooo thankful for to have been told this!

This may be the SECOND best piece of advice I have received! Thanks for sharing that, Carlena!!

I think one of the most helpful things I've heard is to switch out wicks in one tester jar, rather than making 5 jars with 5 different wicks. If one doesn't work pluck it out and put in a different type of wick, then smooth out the top with a heat gun to get a fresh start. Many thanks to the pro that posted that one~:wink2:

Hillary

Taking notes and writing down new recipes. Nobody told me this I learned the hard way that I don't remember how I made something a week ago if I didn't write it down. Now I keep files on all candle recipes and a notepad and pen when I test something new.

That and a heat gun!:D