Website suggestions..

SatinDucky

Well... I'm SOL on the domain name I wanted. It expired in 5 days, but has been renewed. It's no longer just being held, but there's a site there now :( So now I have to decide what to do. Either change to .net or and "online" to the end of my name. Or any other suggestions?

Candlesandbeyond.net

candlesandbeyondonline.com

When I went to look and see if it was being used, guess what I found? A coconut shell candle staring at me! Actually iy looks pretty stable, not so much like a fireball waiting to happen, but still. I actually hadn't pictured the shell still being in the big husk, but I'd still be nervous to sell them. Guess I'm just a worry wart. Ok, this has nothing to do with deciding what to register, I'm just aggrivated...LOL. Maybe a rant section would help after all ;)

~sigh~

Added: browsing through, I did see something interesting. They're using wax "crumbles" for the tart burners and sell it in a jar with a scoop. Not a bad idea...

Satin, I'm sorry to hear about your domain name frustration. That's the way it often goes. I think your best bet is to mentally let go of what you wanted and start fresh. Getting only the .net name is not a good thing. People will mistakenly be going to the other site instead of you all the time and I know you don't want that. The name with "online" appended to it is too cumbersome. Best of luck acquiring a great domain name.

I second Scottopus's idea for the candles-n-beyond.com that would be a cute one to use and different enough where they wouldn't mix it up atleast not really often. If you have to stick with the name as I'm sure you do (Due to Business name) that would be the name I would try next... if you need any help as far as building the site drop me a line and I'll see if i can help you out. HUGS

Oh wow Ducky that really blows, because Mr. Topofmurrayhill is so right, people will be going to the other site all the time by accident, or habit of typing in the .com. GRRRRR~ that must be very frustrating.

The only thing I can think of is candlesandbeyond4you.com

or maybe candlesandbeyondforyou.com or some other such addition of a few words. I definately wouldn't go with the .net or .anything else if I didn't have to, but of course, that's just my opinion.

Oh ducky...hmm , lets see what we can think of

The -'s in there are nice. www.candles-and-beyond.com is available and not that bad to type in. If you wanted it shorter you could also do www.candles-beyond.com

In Canada we have a .ca extension to use. We were also concerned that people would put in .com on the end of our website. So we registered our business name as Soyscents.ca That way people always know our web address just by our business name, and it seems kind of catchy. (dont visit the site guys its not up yet)

Yikes, I was going to say beyondcandles.com... taken. :rolleyes: I know you don't want to change business names (reminder for those choosing a business name, check to see if it is available in a domain and snatch it up if it is) so maybe you could make your online name different?

Thing is, if your name catches on, people are going to look for it exactly like it is w/the .com first. So they will go to this other site. You will be driving business to them girl. If you really want to establish a good online presence I would seriously give a new name some thought. Sucks, I know, but many BIG companies started out with different names than they have now, so it isn't necessarily going to kill business to change names. A unique domain name is really in your best interest.

Hmm.. with the - in there isn't bad at all. Thanks scottopus :D

Now I'm wondering....LOL

and or N... it's actually Candles & Beyond..

I really wish I knew more about this stuff :(

Do you host it wherever and it gets redirected there, or does who you register the domain with host it?

I'm thinking maybe the Candles-N-Beyond.

If anyone who knows me goes there, they'll KNOW it's not me. They're a distributor for Gold Canyon candles. Not that I've heard of them, $18 for a 4x4 pillar, not in this lifetime! Maybe in some areas thats a reasonable price, but not for anyone in my income bracket :rolleyes: Ok, so I had to poke around there too....

Mineral Gold Spa...

What makes Mineral Gold Spa so unique? Each product line, excluding the Dry Oil Body Mist, contains 80 living ionic minerals. Ionic minerals are pure living minerals that produce life-giving electrical energies and replenish depleted minerals in the body. An ion is the smallest component a mineral can exist within and is the size the body requires allowing the individual cells to absorb it.

I know I'm new to B&B, but I've never heard of living ionic mineral :confused:

Not to mention, last I heard BBW had Warm Vanilla Sugar trademarked, don't they?

Yeah, I'm being petty :D

Do you host it wherever and it gets redirected there, or does who you register the domain with host it?

Anybody can host it for you. The registrar sometimes gives you a favorable deal on hosting services they offer but it doesn't have to be with them.

Sorry I didn't realize it was your existing company name when I posted that original reply. It's been a long long time since I've thought of company names and domain names separately. :)

The dash-is what I did but I finally let it go as the other name was to identical except for that .They got the name the same day as me.Yeah right. So I just put a dash there and got.com.

Now I have changed my name completely because I didn't want the 2 companies to be mixed up.My prices are better and kinda some different candles.If people saw that both were .com that dash could have been confusing.

• 6 years later...

Agree.

Satin, I'm sorry to hear about your domain name frustration. That's the way it often goes. I think your best bet is to mentally let go of what you wanted and start fresh. Getting only the .net name is not a good thing. People will mistakenly be going to the other site instead of you all the time and I know you don't want that. The name with "online" appended to it is too cumbersome. Best of luck acquiring a great domain name.

Whoops nevermind! Lost a page! I like this one. I always write "&" like this, so maybe others might.

Hmm.. with the - in there isn't bad at all. Thanks scottopus :D

Now I'm wondering....LOL

and or N... it's actually Candles & Beyond..

I really wish I knew more about this stuff :(

Edited by ChandlerWicks

I'm thinking maybe the Candles-N-Beyond.

If anyone who knows me goes there, they'll KNOW it's not me. They're a distributor for Gold Canyon candles. Not that I've heard of them, $18 for a 4x4 pillar, not in this lifetime! Maybe in some areas thats a reasonable price, but not for anyone in my income bracket :rolleyes: Ok, so I had to poke around there too....

D

Gold Canyon Candles are quite popular out here in Arizona. Mostly because they are made here. I watched a spotlight on a news program or something a while back and if I remember correctly it started out as 2 women who made candles as a hobby, much like how everyone here started out. I run a Gold Canyon fundraiser every year for my cheer teams. They really are great candles and they pay out a nice profit to the girls. They put Yankee Candles to shame.

A relative of one of my high school buddies works at Gold Canyon. I looked at their website. As for the price, that's fine, if they get it, great. What bothers me is how they get it.

I was looking at their aromatherapy candles. The price is too low to be real EO's. Has to be FO's. I am of the belief that healing properties in EO's, simply are not present in FO's. I enjoy making EO aromatherapy candles. With a 9 percent EO load, they cost a bundle to make, but they're genuine.

Candles-and-beyond.com is just too close to the other name by adding the 2 hyphens. I don't think people are going remember that. But candles n beyond .com is something catchy that people would remember as I would with the n. Wow that has to be frustrating. If worse comes to worse maybe changing your name would be for the better. Either changes that you might choose are in my opinion just too close to that name. Little by little you could always change all your other things. Sorry, this probably doesn't make you feel any better. But maybe this was meant to be for some reason and something better will come out of it.

Trappeur