Y'all, I need something different for the holidays.

bfroberts

I am so bored with all my holiday fragrances.  I have no inspiration to blend anything.  I just want something new, different and fabulous that screams "Christmas."  Do you have any suggestions?  It can be a blend or a great FO that's different from the traditional holiday scents.

Thanks to all you crafty people. :)

Hello @bfroberts!  I am definitely right on board with you with the complete and utter boredom when it comes to fragrance oils for winter.  I would have to say off the top of my head I am “IN LOVE” with Grandmas Cupboard from Rustic!  Rain or shine, Spring or Winter, this oils is so satisfying!  I also have a newfound love for little Black Dress especially in mixes.  But a mix I recently tried is Fall Festival MW Type mixed with Cranberry Oak Peak type and giirrlll..... whew weeee!  A very nice blend!  I did a 60/40 blend but they go well together so I’m sure when you smell them together you will see what I mean.  I also tried blending sugar cookie with Cranberry Oak and liked it!  Blends definitely set us apart....  😇

• Thanks 1

I make many of my own blends for Christmas. So maybe I can give you some ideas here.

Candy Cane and Mistletoe mixed 50/50. I've called it winter wonderland, sugarfrost mistletoe, white christmas, etc. over the years I change the name to suit the year

Mulberry and Amish Harvest mixed 50/50 I call it Mulberry Spice or Mulberry Spiced Chutney

Chocolate Brownies and Salted Caramel or Pralines mixed 50/50 I call Reindeer Fudge

Christmas Splendor, MacIntosh Apple, Cinnamon Broom mixed 1/3 ea for a wonderful Cinnamon Apple or Christmas Apple

Cranberry Marmalade and plain Orange for Cranberry Orange Spice

Lavender, Frazier Fir, and Baby Powder for Baby's First Christmas, Silent Night, or Night Before Christmas, Christmas Eve, etc.

Strudel and Spice with Pumpkin Pie mixed 50/50 for Pumpkin Strudel

Bayberry, Apple, Cinnamon blend for Bayberry Apple Spice

Butterscotch Brulee and or Butter Rum for Drunken Elf

Frankincense & Myrhh, Patchouli, Hay Ride for Away in a Manger

Sandalwood, Peppermint with Mistletoe, Fraser Fir or Christmas Tree type for Santa's Sleigh

getting any ideas yet? 

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@MarleighaThank you for your suggestions.  Is the Grandma's Cupboard the one that smells like oatmeal cookies?  I haven't tried it, but I've heard that, *I think*.  I use Little Black Dress in soap, but I've never put it in wax.  Never even thought too, I'm about to do that right now.

@Candybee Wow...you've given me some much need inspiration with your blend ideas.  I don't know why I couldn't come up with anything on my own.  I have just about every FO you've mentioned.  Thank you for some great ideas!

• Like 2

I just got a new account and they love love love the fun named ones.. Snowman Balls I stole the name from NG but didnt have the scent other than half a sample so I made up my own.. Reindeer poo, mixing my own I was thinking gum drops, graham crackers, or maybe some honey gingerbread.. Hope that helps. There are some great ideas in the post above tho.. 

I know everybody doesn't always want 2 or 3 little votive candles all burning at the same time, but I like to have multiples going, spaced throughout an area, and that makes little zones of scent.  Then the overlap of all of it is a variation.  No matter where you're at in the room, your nose is picking up something different.  For example, I might have Autumn Leaves in one spot, Dirt in another, then some kind of pumpkin or apple or Amish Harvest in another spot.

Edited by Darbla

On 9/30/2020 at 5:02 AM, Darbla said:

I know everybody doesn't always want 2 or 3 little votive candles all burning at the same time, but I like to have multiples going, spaced throughout an area, and that makes little zones of scent.  Then the overlap of all of it is a variation.  No matter where you're at in the room, your nose is picking up something different.  For example, I might have Autumn Leaves in one spot, Dirt in another, then some kind of pumpkin or apple or Amish Harvest in another spot.

I'm with you on this,....burning multiple candles/melts in different rooms does create a whole new experience in that the scent you are experiencing may be something new.  

On 9/22/2020 at 4:28 PM, bfroberts said:

@MarleighaThank you for your suggestions.  Is the Grandma's Cupboard the one that smells like oatmeal cookies?  I haven't tried it, but I've heard that, *I think*.  I use Little Black Dress in soap, but I've never put it in wax.  Never even thought too, I'm about to do that right now.

@Candybee Wow...you've given me some much need inspiration with your blend ideas.  I don't know why I couldn't come up with anything on my own.  I have just about every FO you've mentioned.  Thank you for some great ideas!

Hey, if you have several scents on hand........just start blending them

I have found one FO that's kinda what I've been looking for.  Thankful (BBW dupe) from WSP is a really nice, non-bakery, non-spicy fall scent.  I'm digging it.  

Also working on a few blends but nothing earth shattering yet.  I need a better peppermint FO.  Any suggestions from anyone?

11 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I love the smell of herbals in fall. Sage, thyme, rosemary... 

That sounds like a plan.  I'm taking advantage of WSP's FO sale to get more Thankful and try a few new scents.  I'll check out the herbs.  Have Sage & Cinnamon in my cart already...

• Like 1

Try to think of Holiday experiences to help generate new ideas. Agreed that the baking spices/fir/pine get old quick, BUT there's no denying they sell!! 

Try taking some of your year-round best sellers and mixing in a spice. You can take any scent and make it holiday. For example, a grapefruit scent that does well in the summer--mix with allspice, and you've got candied citrus. Or, pear blossom and rosemary. We did great last year by bringing in some herbal scents.