Is this just me? Shipping costs from here

NightLight

Hey there is it just me? I was interested in a few samples of one ounce oils and the shipping was about 20 dollars. I inquired about cost and got this back. I explained that without testing samples, I would not purchase larger sizes. Unfortunately can’t use supplier with expensive shipping.
This is from Just Scents.

SHIPPING IS BASED ON WEIGHT AND ZIP CODE.   We are a wholesale supply warehouse.  We are not a retail store that specializes in small packages.  Our average order is 15 to 20 lbs.  
Add your items to the shopping cart, then add your zip code.  If you are adding 3-4 samples to the cart or one 4 ounce oil and are surprised at the shipping charge - add 12 more samples or 3 more 4 ounce oils, the price is not any higher.  Add 5 pounds, the rate changes by pennies.  You are charged by Fed Ex and UPS for 1 lb if your order is less than 1 lb.  The same goes for pounds.  If one pound looks expensive, add 5 pounds, it is literally pennies more to ship 5 pounds than 1 pound.  Please understand, we don't work for Fed Ex or UPS and have no control over shipping charges or what the cost is from our zip code to yours.  While we welcome orders of any size, we are not going to change our shipping to accommodate USPS shipping.       

I noticed something similar with CS and Candlewic a few years ago. It cost less and less shipping per item the more I added to my cart until I hit the freight tier, where shipping costs skyrocketed. Not sure if that's how the shipping rates actually work or if it's a sneaky method to get you to buy more. Rather than spend $10+ in shipping for an item or two, you add more and lower the average shipping cost per item. It's a pain when shopping for samples or that one case of glassware you need.

Just Scent wants me to pay, for 4 1oz samples ($12.35), $13.58 for FedEx Home Delivery or $13.75 for UPS Ground. Increase to 8 1oz samples ($24.70) and the price rose to $14.21/$15.02. Increased to 20 1oz samples ($61.75) and the shipping cost: $15.05/$16.18. However, with 20 samples I'm paying nearly $50 more in retail and I don't want/need that many. I take it back. Base rate shipping isn't a pain, it's a HUGE pain when it comes to samples and small orders.

Sometimes, it's more cost efficient to order from the nearest supplier. I get fantastic shipping from CS. Their base UPS carbon-neutral shipping ends up 1-2 day delivery for me. The suppliers in PA are efficient for me as well. I think of it as a shipping discount or free upgrade, even though I don't usually need the order to arrive so soon.

It is a little odd to me that they would label themselves as a wholesaler to explain the steep shipping costs yet retail sample sizes at the same shipping costs without offering some sort of discounted bulk sample order. I'm not tempted to purchase 15-20lb of samplers at retail to justify the shipping... 15lbs of samplers (240 bottles) is well over $500. Do they even have that many FO's? I still want to try several of their FO's. I just need to find a way to convince myself that it's worth it.

Some places simply do not care to use the post office because they want their orders to be picked up.  There are suppliers who will send small packages USPS, I always seek them out myself as UPS can't always find my place and one time delivered my package somewhere else hoping I'd find it myself.  I did.  🤪

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, CandleRush said:

Haha, I’ve played the cart game too, adding, deleting items to get the perfect shipping price. I’ve ordered from js recently but did not notice the statement from above, wonder if it’s newer. These are challenging times! 🌸

I do that all the time. Sometimes adding one more case of jars makes the shipping go way up.

I always buy enough FO's to justify the shipping.  Add the cost of the FO's and shipping, then divide by how many bottles to get cost per bottle.  Just can't buy one or two bottles

When my customers want an order shipped, I explain that I can ship 1-3 candles or 4-6 candles for the same shipping cost.  Not that I'm trying to get them to buy more candles, but it's just not worth it to pay more for shipping than the price of the candle. (I use regional rate A and B boxes)

All that being said, $20 is a ridiculous cost for a few one ounce samples.  They could ship them in a flat rate envelope for $7.75.

I noticed a lot of 1oz samples have been removed and quite a few only available by the pound (which use to offer 8oz). I emailed JS and asked when Pumpkin Spice Latte would be back in stock and no response. Is this typical? Perhaps they are super busy? I know they read it because I also asked if Pumpkin Vanilla Cream was offered smaller than 1lb and the next day I saw that they added additional sizes. Since no response on Pumpkin Spice Latte,  I went ahead and purchased Pumpkin Spice Latte from RE. Hope it's good!

• 3 weeks later...